Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Sfor

Windows 98 as high quality video player

One great player Potplayer

I have installed : PotPlayer 1.5.40373.exe

Released: 08 Oct 2013

found at filehorse.com > old versions

kernelex 4.5.2 is on my machine, but I installed Potplayer without Kernelex-options

After installation Potplayer don't start .

Go to C:\Programms\Daum\PotPlayer\PotPlayerMini.exe

Choose Kernelex-mode: windows xp sp2

But after that I cannot open any video's :: Warning: missing video decoder...

Now choose:

Preferences > video > choose "video renderer" > apply > o.k

I choose skin: original_en.dsf

easily can choose :video und audio equalizer

tested mp4, avi , flv , video(.ifo/vob) with sucess

Media Player Classic Home Cinema 1.3.2099.0 is the last version which i could run in an old computer with 98se sp3 + KernelEX. It's a retro-HTPC ;)http://www.xvidvideo.ru/media-player-classic-home-cinema-x86-x64/media-player-classic-homecinema-x86-x64-svn-2099.html Real alternative + ffdshow, alas coreavc not working on this machine, the ax filter gives an exception and mpc quits. :( But ffdshow is free, and more tweakable. Overlay mode is the snappiest, but with some video cards a bit tricky, it loads the video but nothing plays, then stop and play and it starts. If Mpc-hc throws an 'exception in xxx.dll' error, switching Windows to 256 colors mode sometimes helps, by freeing some video memory - the overlay mode color depth is not affected by Win desktop color depth. Also no subtitles in overlay mode, except DVD video.

Does not matter what player you use, as long as it is properly programmed vs the bitrate, and how well the material is encoded vs the codecs used. If you could put 98 on a 5.6Ghz machine it should be running like no tomorrow. My win98 machine seems to beat out my OSX machine ( which demands HD conent ), but the faster Vista machine has no problems with playback.

I think I am double posting but, the HD content ( super high resolution ) vs the display vs the speed of the computer. Sound is another problem all together. They have some new sound technology out their and if your a soundfreak you want to check that out as well.

I do not like players saving shortcuts to the recent folder.

Edited by ROTS

Last post here is 5 years old, what Video player is best now for System without KernelEX and with which codec pack?

On 8/26/2018 at 9:09 PM, ruthan said:

Last post here is 5 years old, what Video player is best now for System without KernelEX and with which codec pack?

The latest I can find that works is Media Player Classic 6.4.9.1 (rev82) Search for "mplayerc_20081005_win9x.zip".

You also need the latest ffdshow installed with that to watch newer codecs. I think "ffdshow_rev1936_20080413_clsid.exe" is the last version for win98.

There might be later versions that work, maybe someone else can post if they know.

Edited by ricardrosen