SATA to IDE adapters: which/what/why?

OK I have a question for dencorso or anyone. I went to eBay to check out the adapter that you mention in your earlier post. I was going to buy one but then I realized this must be for a desktop hard drive. Earlier this year I bought a couple of IDE notebook hard drives to have on hand ... however when I was shopping around I noticed I could have gotten a new SATA hard drive with more capacity at a much lower price. At the time I didn't know much about adapters going either way ... SATA to IDE and so forth. Just a simple question, can you also recommend a good adapter so I could use a newer SATA hard drive on my older Pentium 3 notebooks. I've been following this thread and it's very interesting ... more things that I now have a better understanding of. ... thanks

Edited by duffy98

OK I have a question for dencorso or anyone.

I will attempt qualifying for the "anyone" ;).

What you are asking is a "piggyback" board that fits in the back of a SATA 2.5" HD and makes it IDE/ATA compatible to a laptop (44 pin) connection AND that fits inside your notebook? :w00t:

Such adapters are (AFAIK) VERY rare, and it is doubtful whether there is enough space inside the notebook, here is one:

http://www.cooldrives.com/2sahadrtoide.html

ADDITIONALLY, do not overlook that the adapter will consume a (very little) amount of power, so, since - generally speaking - notebooks specs tend to be "tight" if you old HD was (say) rated for 5V 700 mA, and your new one is (say) 750 mA + the little the converter may consume (still say) another 100 mA, you could simply draw too much power from the 5V rail.

and HEAT may be a problem inside a notebook, since they are normally already well beyond reasonable temperature... :ph34r:

jaclaz

jaclaz, this adapter looks very interesting. I guess it could be possible to put an SSD into an older notebook by using it? The heat shouldn't be a problem in this case.

Have you tried using it? I'd be grateful for any "safe" recommendations.

Edited by tomasz86

jaclaz, this adapter looks very interesting. I guess it could be possible to put an SSD into an older notebook by using it? The heat shouldn't be a problem in this case.

But unless you invent a way to compress matter into a smaller volume, space might be :whistle: :

http://www.cooldrives.com/2sahadrtoide.html

Supports IDE with data transfer rate up to 66/100/133MB/s

Serial ATA To IDE converter board

Suitable for POS Systems (will not fit into most laptops) Great for all Mini Computers that use 44 pin IDE connector and require an upgrade to new SATA 2.5 Inch Drives.

even if the SSD is smaller than the drive, the actual piggyback board is taller than the height of the drive and conversely of the drive bay. Maybe on some models, with a "dremel" and a lot of time/patience a case mod can be done. :unsure:

I would rather go for something "flat" like this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-Serial-SATA-HDD-44Pin-Male-IDE-Adapter-Converter-/150614852456?_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D15%26pmod%3D220597189265%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D2222327709334534724

(seemingly even more "rare")

Wait, here there is one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-SATA-SSD-HDD-driver-mini-44pin-IDE-adapter-5014-/220752756189?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3365e3bddd

(but this one is larger :()

Maybe this is the only "type" that would fit for your pourpose:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-SATA-SSD-HDD-driver-mini-44pin-IDE-adapter-5005-/220774274840?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33672c1718

Or this (micro SSD)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8-16pin-Micro-SATA-SSD-2-5-44pin-IDE-adapter-card-/220775113085?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336738e17d

Have you tried using it? I'd be grateful for any "safe" recommendations.

Naah, never had an occasion, as said they are rare ;).

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

I think jaclaz covered all the bases so I have little to add.

But I noticed that the last link jaclaz provided in the above post describes and adapter the seller declares uses the JMicron JM20330.

So it makes me think the others the same seller says nothing about the chipset probably are not based on that chip, and that the seller is aware other chips are not as good as the JMicron...

So that's one point.

The other point to be highlighted is that while the SATA connector is the same for all sizes, most laptops use a 44-pin PATA connector, instead of the usual 40-pin one.

So the first thing is to determine which type of PATA connector one's actual laptop/notebook/netbook uses, before anything.

The other point to be highlighted is that while the SATA connector is the same for all sizes, most laptops use a 44-pin PATA connector, instead of the usual 40-pin one.

Well, NO.

2.5" PATA/IDE HDs ALL use the 44 pin connector and all the adapters above use that. (as well as ALL the laptops that have a 2.5" IDE disk from factory)

The 40 Pin connector is ONLY on 3.5 Drives AFAIK.

jaclaz

Well, I wasn't sure *all* used the 44-pin. So I stand corrected, thanks. But that settles it, too: the adapters i tested were (all 4) 40-pin ones so, even the best one about which I posted above, definitely won't work in a laptop/notebook/ netbook at all, regardles of their dimensions and connector disposition.

OK jaclaz ... thanks for making things more clear for me, have a lot to read in the posts. When I was hard drive shopping earlier in the year, I thought the adapter would replace the one that is already attached to the hard drive caddy where the hard drive is attached. I bought two additional IDE hard drives and almost bought a SATA 2.5 drive, thinking I could probably buy an adapter later on for it to fit in my notebook. I last bought new 2.5 hard drives in 2006 ... I really don't remember if there were SATA drives around then ... there was still a good selection of IDE drives at good prices in 2006. When I thought earlier this year to maybe get a few more IDE drives ... just to be on the safe side, I was surprised to see mostly SATA drives for notebooks and desktops ... very few IDE drives seem to be available and at higher prices. I might pick up another IDE drive or two, since I understand I won't have the option of using a SATA drive in my notebook. My NEC is really cramped for hard drive space and that hd caddy just fits inside that space. ... thanks dencorso for the info also.

Well, I wasn't sure *all* used the 44-pin. So I stand corrected, thanks. But that settles it, too: the adapters i tested were (all 4) 40-pin ones so, even the best one about which I posted above, definitely won't work in a laptop/notebook/ netbook at all, regardles of their dimensions and connector disposition.

Well, NO. ;)

You may use them allright (space permitting) with another "passive" adapter, like this type:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-3-5-IDE-HDD-40-Pin-Male-44-Pin-Female-Adapter-/330450302006?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf05f7436

or this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-3-5-IDE-HARD-DRIVE-CONVERTER-CABLE-ADAPTER-/150475889431?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23090fdb17

or this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/40-Pin-44-Pin-3-5-2-5-Laptop-IDE-Hard-Drive-Cable-/180482687586?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a059b4262

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

I'll post about them further along the week. But, the other adapter based on the JMicron worked all right from the Promise board, but when set as slave on the mobo ViA 8237 based IDE primary channel, it caused the BIOS not to find the master, thus preventing it from booting. The issue is with the ASUS BIOS, though, because when I managed to boot Win XP from another HDD, Windows found the primary master all right. I'll post about it in more detail soon. It costs US$ 5, so it may be worth it. Both support 48-bit LBA so up to 2 GB should be OK, but my tests were performed with a 60GB SATA I Toshiba and a 500 GB SATA II Seagate (jumpered to SATA I) only.

The other adapter based on the SunPlusIT chip was detected correctly and supported master, slave and cable select modes. It seemed to work OK, but SpinRite 6.0, NDD, SCANDISK and chkdsk all found lots of bad sectors in both HDDs, which do not exist when they are connected directly via SATA interface or using any of the two adapters based on the JMicron chip. So it is flawed and not recommended at all. I shall post about it last.

That's what I remember from the top of my head. I'd have to consult my test records to be more precise, but I think I've said enough to answer your question for now, shae.

dencorso, thanks. Really strange to find corruption with the Sunplus chip. Something else must contribute to that, they can't not have noticed that when developing the chip. :)

rloew, would 48-bit support guarantee proper support for 2TB+ on both the SATA and IDE sides?

A few adapter leads:

Assuming that MM-PATA330 is the same as the Syba one, it can be had for 9.5$ including shipping, but not to all countries.

An apparent JM20330 one on DealExtreme for less than 5$, with M/S/CS mode. But one review complains it failed within a few minutes taking the drive with it. (Also unclear why the jumper legend is on the inner side.)

A manufacturer page for an adapter based on Marvell 88SA8052, with leds and M/S jumper, but without a "fence" around the IDE connector (I really hated those on old HDDs/mobos). The specs say 1.5Gbit, though the Marvell chip should support 3.0Gbit.

And BTW, I did see at least one IDE to 2 SATA adapter card on eBay. But it just looks more awkward having this card stick out of the mobo, and less flexible in that you can't mix SATA/IDE on the same IDE channel.

Edited by shae

rloew, would 48-bit support guarantee proper support for 2TB+ on both the SATA and IDE sides?

Since there are no 3TB PATA Drives, I had no reason to test it. I would not be surprised if the PATA<->SATA Adapter supports full 48-Bit LBA both ways, but support still requires that the Controller Firmware support full 48-Bit Addressing. The Promise Card labelled "Maxtor ATA133" does support full 48-Bit Addressing as have the SATA PCI and PCI-E cards, I have tested, except the Highpoint Cards. Motherboard BIOSes do NOT. So a DDO is required for every Motherboard connected Hard Drive. The Highpoint AHCI cards are totally incompatable with Windows 9x.

DOS and Windows 9x require additional Patches to support more than 2TiB.

Assuming that is the same as the Syba one, it can be had for 9.5$ including shipping, but not to all countries.

Yes. That is the MM-PATA330-V1.1, all right! The I/OCrest site address actually redirects to Syba's site, and that's where I found the .pdf of the printed manual i gace a link to (which is identical to the printed one I received with the adapter I bought and tested, down to its misspelled title: "Mamual").

An apparent JM20330 one on DealExtreme for less than 5$, with M/S/CS mode. But one review complains it failed within a few minutes taking the drive with it. (Also unclear why the jumper legend is on the inner side.).

No. Despite the site's photo showing it using the JM20330, at least one customer got one with a SunplusIT SPIF223A, besides myself, judging from the customers photos and comments. It seems both chips are pin-to-pin compatible, and this complicates things even more... That one is not based on the JM20330 at all. It is, in fact, the second type of adapter based on the SunplusIT SPIF223A chip that I tested. Its identifier is HW629D Rev 3.1. Even the package is exactly the same. The one that caused false multiple errors, about which I posted above. Whatever the price, it must be avoided. It's flawed, but appears to work OK, until one tries to chkdsk it. A scan from mine is here below (the white specks are just dust in the scanner's glass):

post-134642-0-11115700-1314164295_thumb.

A manufacturer page for an adapter based on Marvell 88SA8052, with leds and M/S jumper, but without a "fence" around the IDE connector (I really hated those on old HDDs/mobos). The specs say 1.5Gbit, though the Marvell chip should support 3.0Gbit.

That is the famous "Rosewill IDE-SATA07 adapter" based on Marvell 88SA8052, referenced in this thread elsewhere and said to be very good. I actively looked for it but did not find any actually for sale, regardless of whether they would ship to Brazil or not. It seems its production has been discontinued. It was the successor to the long-ago discontinued legendary "Rosewill IDE-SATA01 adapter", which was based on the Marvell 88SA8040.

And BTW, I did see at least one IDE to 2 SATA adapter card on eBay. But it just looks more awkward having this card stick out of the mobo, and less flexible in that you can't mix SATA/IDE on the same IDE channel.

True enough.