KernelEx Apps Compatibility List (New)

Yup, got this line in my Core.ini file: contents=Kstub822,std,kexbases,kexbasen,K452stub

Ok then... if i have this correct conceptually, KernelEx reads the contents= line left to right, so KStub822 gets read first, then the regular KEx stuff, and K452Stub.ini last.  So i only *need* to add the aforementioned line to one of the .ini files.  And it wouldn't matter which one (?) because it's being *added* to KEx, not overriding/modifying something already in KEx.  So it would be redundant to add the line to both KExt .ini files.  

It sure would be helpful if someone could write up a KExt faq or beginners guide.  I've tried to read thru the KExt thread, but it makes my head spin, so i just follow the couple of "how-to" posts and then paint by numbers.... 

@Mikl - No, i haven't done anything with MPlayer's EDL option.  In fact, i never even knew about it until you mentioned it!  So i just looked it up, and it's a pretty-cool feature.  I have MPlayer.exe set up on my system as a (no-frills player) target of a right-click Send-To.  I use MPlayerWW (nice skined GUI) as my default left-click video-file player, and VLC is my default DVD player.  (Altho sometimes i like to use Full Screen Player for DVDs, just because the interface is kind of fun!)  

- Doug B.

Line in Core.ini: contents=Kstub822,std,kexbases,kexbasen,K452stub

Kstub452 on the right has highest priority and overrides KernelEX, if a function is already supported by KernelEX.

Kstub822 on the left has lowest priority. A definition in the Kstub822.ini is ignored, if KernelEX already supports this function.

@ DougB.

Just add GetCurrentConsoleFont=z2 to the Kernel32 section of Kext and mPlayer will run again.

(But Jumper may know a better def than z2)

z3e

Return zero; three parameters; SetLastError

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms683176(v=vs.85).aspx

BOOL WINAPI GetCurrentConsoleFont(

_In_   HANDLE hConsoleOutput,

_In_   BOOL bMaximumWindow,

_Out_  PCONSOLE_FONT_INFO lpConsoleCurrentFont

);

If the function fails, the return value is zero. To get extended error information, call GetLastError.

In theory, K452stub has great value; in practice, it has had little. It is a tool, not a solution. It slows things down a bit, especially with logging enabled (but only if you notice!). Don't use it unless you have a reason to--deleting it from the contents= line in core.ini is enough to disable it.

• 1 month later...

Issues with the new MediaInfo GUI, v0.7.71, 2014-Nov-10.  

Installation completes ok.  But when the program, MediaInfo.exe, is run, this error message is generated:

A required .DLL file, WINDOWSCODECS.DLL, was not found.

After copying WindowsCodecs.dll file from XP SP3 into the MediaInfo folder, these new error messages are generated:

A device attached to the system is not functioning.

and:

The WINDOWSCODECS.DLL file is linked to missing export OLE32.DLL:HICON_UserSize.

These problems do not occur with the previous v0.7.70 GUI version.  

The MediaInfo CLI v7.7.71 works ok in a DOS box.  

I re-installed v0.7.70 GUI and copied the v0.7.71 MediaInfo.dll from the CLI, which seems to be working ok under the older GUI executable.  

- Doug B.

Redirect WindowsCodecs.dll to LZ32.dll

REGEDIT4[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\KnownDLLs]"WindowsCodecs"="LZ32.DLL"
then use Kexstubs to create definitions for any functions reported missing by Dependency Walker or ImportPatcher.
[Lz32.dll] --- including API's in modules that use KnownDLLs to forward to LZ32 ---;WindowsCodecs.dllWICConvertBitmapSource=
--- OR ---

Use ImportPatcher to replace "WINDOWSCODECS.DLL" with "IPstub.dll" and missing functions with "yn" (or something better).

• 1 month later...

Wabbitemu

The latest release, version 1.8.2.26, of Wabbitemu (a TI-73 to TI-86 graphing calculator emulator) works on Windows 98 SE with KernelEx. Though, there are a few steps you must take to get this working:

1) Place dbghelp.dll into the same directory as Wabbitemu.exe. I used the one from Windows XP, but other versions of the dll might work, also.

2) Create a folder called AppData in C:\Windows (You can call the folder anything and place it anywhere you like. This is just an example.) and add this line to your autoexec.bat file:

SET APPDATA=C:\WINDOWS\AppData

(The point is that the program must see an APPDATA environment variable. Even setting APPDATA to some path in a DOS prompt and launching it from that prompt will also work. Perhaps just using a batch file to launch it would be better.)

3) When you start Wabbitemu for the first time, it will need a rom image of the calculator you wish to emulate. You must obtain a rom image and select "Browse for a ROM image on my computer". The other two options cause the program to crash. You can run Wabbitemu on a different computer and use those other options to obtain a rom image, however.

4) The emulator sometimes stalls for a few seconds when pressing a key. Clicking one of the menus makes it snap out of it. (This is a bug in the latest releases of Wabbitemu and happens even under Windows XP and later). Don't use the "Cutout skin" mode under KernelEx, as it makes the calculator look like garbage.

Other than that, this program seems to work flawlessly under Win98SE.

Edited by CamTron

It might be or probably we will miss the menu in the next release of Sumatra PDF. http://www.sumatrapdfreader.org/prerelease.html.

Possible is to set "use tabs" in SumatraPDF-settings.txt to false. Then restart Sumatra for the changes to take effect. This brings back the menubar and the classic UI style. But there isn't the tab functionality anymore.

Both tabs and menu worked on ME/98 up to prerelease 3.1.0.9654.

This may be also very old news but I honestly don't remember it being discussed here so I decided to post because I am quite surprised.

Well, a few days ago I stumbled over a posting mentioning private builds of browsers and I researched that matter and I found several alternative versions floating around.

The most promising looking was Rayflood.

See here:  http://rayflood.org/mozilla/obsolete.html#vc6

I did not expected much but I downloaded SeaMonkey 2.7.12 compiled with vc8 and vc9 and they both work without that I even had to set to win2000 or XP compatibility mode !!!!!!! And websites are rendered as I am used to !!

So far, I always thought that SeaMonkey 2.6.1 was the last to work so I am quite excited.

Unfortunately bookmarks still do not work but this could maybe be fixed by building it differently ? Maybe by omitting SSE2 ?

http://rayflood.org/mozilla/seamonkey-2.7.12esr-rayflood-win32-vc8.buildconfig.html

I hope that someone of you with the knowledge can maybe do alternative builds.

There are even vc8/vc9-builds of SeaMonkey 2.14.9 and maybe this could be running with the help of Kext ?

I have received an error message regarding msvcr80.dll - maybe Jumper can look into this !?

All the best, MiKl

Edited by MiKl

• 4 weeks later...

I can confirm that Xming 6.9.0.31 works on KernelEx. You must set compatibility mode to Windows XP SP2 when running the installer, or else it will refuse to install. Xming is an X server implementation for Windows. I've only tested Xming itself and the XLaunch program that configures it. The only problems I've encoutered with this are that the font in XLaunch is too large making some text not visible, and that the Xming always crashes on exit. It works great for running Linux GUI programs remotely through SSH.

I can confirm that Xming 6.9.0.31 works on KernelEx. You must set compatibility mode to Windows XP SP2 when running the installer, or else it will refuse to install. Xming is an X server implementation for Windows. I've only tested Xming itself and the XLaunch program that configures it. The only problems I've encoutered with this are that the font in XLaunch is too large making some text not visible, and that the Xming always crashes on exit. It works great for running Linux GUI programs remotely through SSH.

If you want a more up to date XMing, you can use VcXsrv instead. Latest version (1.16.2.0 as of this writing)  appears to run OK, tested with Fontforge which is fully functional running under it instead of the bundled  v1.14.2.1). KxStub might be required though, not sure about that.

• 1 month later...

I just updated VLC 2.1.5 Rincewind (UPXed) to VLC 2.2.0 Weatherwax (no subsequent UPXing).
Everything is running fine so far. Kernelex 4.5.2 without later updates.
Set VLC installation to XP SP2, chose upgrade and keep settings, running with default settings.
Size of 2.1.5 folder: 56.8 mb, 667 files, 242 folders. Size of 2.2.0 folder: 112 mb, 718 files, 245 folders.