Windows98SE how to install and configure 1gb RAM

Ironman69

hello guys, my 1st post, and trying to wad thru all the various topics of extending Win98SE's RAM capacity, I just need a simple step by step instruction on how to install just 1gb RAM. I have 2x512mg sticks of Pc133 sdram ready to go. I currently have a stock, very stable version of Win88SE with 512mg RAM installed.

Welcom to MSFN! :hello:

Simply set MaxPhysPage=40000 and MaxFileCache=393216 both in SYSTEM.INI and in SYSTEM.CB. :yes:

For *much* more detail, do read my > 1 GiB RAM thread, linked from the left side of my signature.

Welcom to MSFN! :hello:

Simply set MaxPhysPage=40000 and MaxFileCache=393216 both in SYSTEM.INI and in SYSTEM.CB. :yes:

For *much* more detail, do read my > 1 GiB RAM thread, linked from the left side of my signature.

If you have 2 GB (or more) of RAM, 384 MB (or more) of vcache it's OK but I wouldn't recommend such vaule for PC with 1 GB - 256 MB should be enough IMHO.

So, to clarify, I only need to boot up windows, set the new values in the System.ini and What is System.cb ? , then save, then shut down the computer, wait 20 sec. pull out the old ram, install the new Ram modules, then start the computer up and let windows boot back up normally?

I have CHUNKSIZE=1024 for my 512mg config. Does this chunksize number need to be changed for 1gb RAM install?

Edited by Ironman69

SYSTEM.CB is another text mode configuration file that exists in C:\WINDOWS. Look up for it, I bet you have one. It is used, instead of SYSTEM.INI, when you boot to SAFE MODE, but otherewise it's not used. You have to fix it, or you'll be unable to go to SAFE MODE, if you ever need it. This is the Usher method of using more than 512 MiB of RAM. SYSTEM.CB may contain all the sections that may exist in SYSTEM.INI, althoug some of them will have different settings, and most don't exist. You'll probably need to create both [386Enh] and [vcache] sections in it, because usually the default SYSTEM.CB doesn't have them. Once you've done that, MaxPhysPage=40000 goes under [386Enh] and MaxFileCache=131072 goes under [vcache]. Your SYSTEM.INI, however, should already have at least [386Enh], so you may just have to create [vcache], in case there isn't such a section in it. You may put the new statements just below these headers, or below the last of the statements that may already exist in those sections. Provided they are in the correct sections, those statements should work OK.

I've been thinking and rainyd has a point in what he said. So I'm revising my original suggestion MaxFileCache=393216 (that means 384 MiB) to MaxFileCache=131072 (that means 128 MiB), as RLoew suggested elsewhere, because it should be enough. For the record, rainyd's suggestion of MaxFileCache=262144 (that means 256 MiB) should work OK, too, but 128 MiB uses even less RAM for the cache, leaving it available for general use.

Now, if I were you I'd set the new values in SYSTEM.INI and SYSTEM.CB, save and then reboot. The machine should reboot normally, despite these settings, with you present 512 MiB of RAM. Once you're back to windows check those files to ensure the new settings are really there, so as to rest assured all went well. Then shut the machin down, *disconnect the power source cable*, wait for about 1 min, then open the machine and add the new RAM sticks, making sure they are well seated. Then restart the machine, make sure the BIOS recognizes the memory and, if so, let it boot to windows. It should just work.

You may keep the CHUNKSIZE=1024 as it is in SYSTEM.INI, but there really is no need to add such a line to SYSTEM.CB, too.

I did not suggest 131072 as a recommended setting. I suggested it as a safe setting, for testing purposes, with up to 3GiB of RAM to avoid the possibility that it would be completely ignored if it is below the internally calculated Minimum. The optimum setting depends on how you use your Computer. If you work with mostly large files, you are better off with higher settings. If you work with very large Directories of small files, you are better off with lower settings.

Well, my intention was to provide a "just work" set of parameters that would boot windows with 1GiB RAM, just after the OP added the RAM. Never did I wish to imply they were the best parameters. MaxPhysPage=40000 is all the RAM, so this cannot be bested, but MaxFileCache can be freely optimized afterwards, of course. To me the OP is interested in being able to use the newly added RAM fast first, and think about optimizations next... so I replied accordingly. :yes:

Well, my intention was to provide a "just work" set of parameters that would boot windows with 1GiB RAM, just after the OP added the RAM. Never did I wish to imply they were the best parameters. MaxPhysPage=40000 is all the RAM, so this cannot be bested, but MaxFileCache can be freely optimized afterwards, of course. To me the OP is interested in being able to use the newly added RAM fast first, and think about optimizations next... so I replied accordingly. :yes:

I assumed that. But with all of the numbers you put in that one Paragraph in your last post, it was unclear how my recommendation would be interpreted.

For testing purposes, you can use anything from 44000 to at least 393216 for MaxFileCache with MaxPhysPage=40000 and I doubt it will make any difference except for Performance.

Edited by rloew

Thanks for the help guys! This computer will be used as a gaming rig ( Mame32 arcade emulation stuff, older computer games and relatively newer pc games), so I need best performance parameters please! Again, I really appreciate all your input and help.

Only you, Ironman69, who are operating the actual machine, can determine the best value for MaxFileCache for your specific machine, and that can only be done by testing in real use conditions. Start with MaxFileCache=131072 use it for some days, log some convenient performance data of your choice, and then enlarge that by steps, up to 393216. Bear in mind that those numbers are the size of the cache in kiB (binary kilobytes aka kibibytes). In my experience, 128 MiB steps are usually enough, so you should try 131072, then 262144, then 393216, and then settle on the one that gives you the best performance. And if you find that all three give you the same performance, use the smallest. I cannot possibly give you a more precise answer than this, only you can find out, by testing. However, to be able to test, the machine must be working and all the necessary software must be installed, so I think all you need right now is to get the machine to boot and be stable. MaxPhysPage=40000 and any of the three above values for MaxFileCache should allow you that. Try it and keep us posted. Good luck!

hello guys, my 1st post, and trying to wad thru all the various topics of extending Win98SE's RAM capacity, I just need a simple step by step instruction on how to install just 1gb RAM. I have 2x512mg sticks of Pc133 sdram ready to go. I currently have a stock, very stable version of Win88SE with 512mg RAM installed.

Maybe somebody will be surprised but I do not understand question.

My configuration is:

Core2Duo

1 GB Ram

256 MB Radeon 9600.

Everything is working from beginning without problem and without any "software tricks" with memory ?

• 2 weeks later...

by the way, can one of you gurus point me the way to a good generic set of USB 2.0 drivers? My Win98SE install still has the 1.0 crap. I need all 2.0-drivers, host controllers, usb hubs ....all that good stuff! Anything out there with that?