KernelEx for Win2000

Cheers! Finally, the last question and I won't be spamming this place any more :D
Apparently OS version spoofing doesn't seem to be covered by KEx. Is there an official, generic way for achieving this (I know, for specific cases - Orca for .msi packages, hex editor for the oddball out there)?
Because, case in point, for Firefox ESR 52.9.0, the installer aborted because it complained that its not running under XP. I remember that at least for WinMe there was an option to spoof the OS version in a way similar to how shims work. I extracted the package and ran FF from there but I'm thinking there might be a more elegant way for some apps than this.

I mean, especially if, say app X requires a specific API function that was added in Win XP but deprecated in Vista or app Y requires a specific API function that was added in Vista but deprecated in 7.

EDIT: Already answered in the previous post.

Edited by BogdanV

13 hours ago, BogdanV said:

Also, just to confirm - the two links above are the current sources for latest updates on the platform, right?

http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/ is the most current source for anything from BWC

13 hours ago, win32 said:

I think that only 98SE KernelEx has had a compatibility tab with options like 2000/XP/Vista.

XP also had a compatibility tab with newer OS options, but it was separate from the extended kernel.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/7/2017 at 10:05 PM, Tommy said:

My duelview thread merged into this one

It is not working! This isn't even something I'm new at because I've been using dual monitors since the turn of the decade. However, with my new machine, no matter how much I play around with it, I cannot get dualview working.

So, my old card was a NVidia GeForce 8600GT dual DVI output, my new card is a NVidia GeForce 9800GT with dual DVI output as well. Whether it makes a difference or not, it's the energy efficient version so it doesn't require extra power to run. Now here's where things get very interesting. I can clone my desktop so both monitors show the same thing, I can also do horizontal/vertical view which doubles the resolution. But I cannot get dualview to have two independent monitors working. The video card recognizes two monitors are there, it knows that for a fact. But when I go to the display properties, even though it says multiple monitors, it only shows the one and extend my desktop is grayed out.

The things I've tried were basically changing driver versions which I've used both Tomasz86's 270.61 driver, no luck. I've tried a few of Blackwingcat's drivers, no luck either. I've even tried removing all the drivers via safe mode and removing the device all together and even running my registry cleaner to remove old entries, makes no difference. The only thing I can think of that might be fouled is the NVidia GeForce 8400GS that I originally had in there, it had DVI/VGA and HDMI, and apparently you cannot dualview a digital and analog connection, it's either one or the other. The other resources I looked for online on this issue is about as helpful as going out in the rain and covering your head with a spaghetti strainer. No real insight is offered. But with Dual DVI, I'm sure dualview should work. Am I to the point I might just have to reinstall Windows or what? I'm pulling my hair out because I've never had this much trouble getting it going before. Usually all I'd have to do is go through the control panel, enable dualview, restart at the prompt, and when Windows returned it would install the Dualview driver (which this doesn't), restart again, and then I could extend my desktop. So why this isn't happen with this, I have no clue. Now I'm turning to the ones who know even more than I do.

I tried to use the Dual Display with Display Link 5.1 driver and Extended Core v 1.6.

It seems to work fine ... : (

Ummm ... Is there any more informations ?

20 hours ago, blackwingcat said:

I tried to use the Dual Display with Display Link 5.1 driver and Extended Core v 1.6.

Which revision of Extended Core v16? All of them (including my unofficial v16e) have different versions of videoprt.sys, which may or may not be the source of these issues.

He fixed this problem a long time ago:

And I also found that WindowBlinds 3.1a is the last version to work properly on Windows 2000 extended kernel with PrintWindow enabled. While PrintWindow can be disabled, Serpent 52 uses PrintWindow and thus has problems rendering its borders with WindowBlinds 3.3+/4.x even if the main user32 has PrintWindow disabled.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2020 at 12:11 AM, blackwingcat said:

It seems to work fine ... : (

Ummm ... Is there any more informations ?

hi blackwingcat, this seem to be the only way i can contact you directly, at least, your inbox does not accept any messages. i was wondering if you have a working link for the modified Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I217-V ethernet driver for windows 2000? it is specifically for the device "VEN_8086&DEV_153B", however, i'll probably need assistance in finding working drivers for several others, namely the wireless ac 7260 "VEN_8086&DEV_08B2" and also rtl8811au "VID_0BDA&PID_0811". i really would appreciate if you can help as it's often difficult to find working links from the sources you provide, if you wan't, i can also create a separate thread on this as to not post on this thread anymore. 

Hi. I trying to setup Remote Desktop 7.0 on Windows 2000 with Extended Kernel, I installed RDP 5.2 from my Windows XP disc, then I installed your RDP update from WLU. But when I try to run RDP, I getting an error message that mstsc.exe.mui couldn't find in System 32 and then message about some error with Activex.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/4/2020 at 3:55 AM, Andreasmir said:

Hi. I trying to setup Remote Desktop 7.0 on Windows 2000 with Extended Kernel, I installed RDP 5.2 from my Windows XP disc, then I installed your RDP update from WLU. But when I try to run RDP, I getting an error message that mstsc.exe.mui couldn't find in System 32 and then message about some error with Activex.

Is RD 7 the XP/Vista one or the W7 one?

I have some information about Remote Desktop in my W2K guide here, which you might find helpful: https://w2k.phreaknet.org/guide

i reinstalled the windows 2000 because i cant move the icons and it got bricked because i executed the kernel extension

after i reinstalled the windows 2000 i tried running the ie6sp1 update and it now says

Setup could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure the cryptographic service is running on this computer

and when i go to services is not listed on there