How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

As for multiple sources- latest beta8 for example- up to 99 XP/2000/2003 sources. One PE1 (XP/2003) based. Unlimited PE2/3 if added as "grub4dos compatible ISO" and the PE supports booting that way, or one if added as extracted ISO, the option for Vista/7/8 setup.

For multiple PE1- you better use ISO + firadisk/winvblock virtual floppy loaded by grub4dos, I think you

As for multiple sources- latest beta8 for example- up to 99 XP/2000/2003 sources. One PE1 (XP/2003) based. Unlimited PE2/3 if added as "grub4dos compatible ISO" and the PE supports booting that way, or one if added as extracted ISO, the option for Vista/7/8 setup.

For multiple PE1- you better use ISO + firadisk/winvblock virtual floppy loaded by grub4dos, I think you

Can never get iso booting to work with winpe1 sources. After the boot screen, i get bsod 7B error. Tried firadisk, winvblock, ntdetect.com, etc.

Can never get iso booting to work with winpe1 sources. After the boot screen, i get bsod 7B error. Tried firadisk, winvblock, ntdetect.com, etc.

No. :no:

Meaning that you tried them allright but with the "wrong" approach. :ph34r: or, more simply you haven't tried "hard enough".

The essence of tools like WinsetupFromUSB is that through the work of ilko_t a "sub-set" of the possibilities is made "easilily" available to everyone, i.e. in 99.99% of cases it is just a matter of following the instructions and prompts (and knowing how exactly it works and why is totally "optional").

Most other methods and expecially those aimed at PE 1.x's are DIFFERENT in the sense that the PE often needs to be built in a given way, or - in the case of your already made PE - need to be modified.

This requires some time to study the methods, understand the processes, troubleshoot the issues.

A number of Winbuilder projects do allow booting form .iso (or from .img) with grub4dos, as well there are tutorials for UBCD4WIN:

http://www.rmprepusb.com/tutorials/ubcd4win

or for a BartPE:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=24100

rest assured that they do work, but each one usually needs to be tested/adapted/what not.

Generally speaking firadisk based solutions tend to be more easy (but they require machines with a bigger amount of RAM) while Winvblock ones tend to be a bit more "picky".

BTW, there is still the good ol' method using the MS ramdisk from Server 2003 SP1, that has worked for years, a typical example being the Sysinternals ERD Commander one.

jaclaz

• 4 weeks later...

Definitely, this is a better tool than WinToFlash. The latest version of WinToFlash was unable to find the harddisk of my Lenovo R60, so I didn't have a destination to install XP into. The same problem happened with WinSetupFromUSP 0.2.3 (the stable version). But today when I tried the version 1.0 beta8, the harddrive could be found, so that the installation could continue.

Yet in the second pass of installation, another problem popped up:

The file 'iaStor.sys' on Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver is needed.

It looks to be the harddisk driver, isn't it? I didn't know where to get it, so clicked the 'Cancel' button to skip it and continue the installation. But after the second pass is finished, when the third pass begins, the installed XP can't be started, citing some fatal error on a blue screen.

Any help here?

1) Integrate in your source the appropriate mass storage (SATA/AHCI) driver, apparently Intel one, using nLite for example, then recreate the USB disk.

2) Integrate in your source BTS mass storage driver pack and recreate the USB disk:

http://driverpacks.net/docs/beginners-guide-windows-xp

Make sure "DriverPack Mass Storage text mode" is checked.

3) In BIOS switch SATA/AHCI mode to IDE/compatible if there is such option.

1) Integrate in your source the appropriate mass storage (SATA/AHCI) driver, apparently Intel one, using nLite for example, then recreate the USB disk.

2) Integrate in your source BTS mass storage driver pack and recreate the USB disk:

http://driverpacks.net/docs/beginners-guide-windows-xp

Make sure "DriverPack Mass Storage text mode" is checked.

3) In BIOS switch SATA/AHCI mode to IDE/compatible if there is such option.

For the sake of convenience, I changed the SATA mode from AHCI to Compatible. Now it doesn't prompt me for the file 'iaStor.sys" any more. Hopefully, this would complete the installation without any other glitch. By the way, would there be any performance issue if the SATA mode is changed to Compatible?

And, how to integrate the SATA/AHCI driver files (iastor.cat, iastor.sys, iastor.inf, iastor.x86 - if downloaded from Intel site) into the USB drive? I understand that I should integrate these driver files into the XPSP3 ISO file first, using nLite. Then I create the bootable USB XP setup system with WinSetupFromUSP 1.0 beta8 again, with the integrated ISO file. Am I right?

Many thanks, ilko!

Update1:

Just when I am writing this reply, the installation is finished without any further glitch, without bothering me about this 'iaStore.sys' stuff any more, :-)

Update2:

Searching for the answer to the 'iaStor.sys' problem redirected me to this thread, #1741 in page 88:

Because your SATA controler is in AHCI/SATA mode and XP does not natively support such.

You can:

1) Integrate the appropriate SATA driver with nLite for example

2) Switch SATA mode to IDE/compatible if your BIOS has such option

3) Integrate BTS mass storage driver pack in your source, links are just a few posts above

This is very common question which has been answered numerous times, please do use the search option.

This finding makes me blushed.

Edited by cjohn

You might search this topic for 'DPMS' ;)

Hints- first post in topic, about the issue with iastor and DPMS:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=120444&view=findpost&p=1002473

Thanks for your head-up, ilko!

Also found the hint from the description of 1.0 beta8 in the beginning of this thread:

1.0 beta8- 27.April.2012

- added an option for Auto-detect and use SATA/RAID/SCSI F6 drivers during XP/2003/2000 Setup thanks to DPMS by Chenall. The boot entry is optional and has to be selected once before booting First part of Setup

Thanks a lot!

Hello!

I try to install XP SP3 with WinsetupFromUsb 1.0 beta8

USB Drive Formated in NTFS With RMPrepUSB 2.1.648

At T-28 minutes stage there is a problem :

Setup warn me that files are needed (CMPROPS.DL_)

I noticed at this time my USB Key is no longer visible.

But if I unplug and replug my USB Drive, It becomes visible and the installation continues without problems.

(I tested on 2 computers and same problem)

How can I solve this?

Thank you very much!

Here is the .log File

WinSetupFromUSB.rar

Edited by kitnoos2002

I will check the Windows Setup log files tomorrow because I need to reinstall. (I do multiples tests this week)

Yes, the problem appears all the time :

Original XP SP3 100%

Original XP SP3 except ntdetect.com

XP SP3 With Driverpack

If I test with Unattended (By winnt.sif and winnt32.sif) Error "Files needed" is not visible at the screen, but install is partial (desktop in classic mode) because somes files aren't copied.

Same problem on 2 differents computers (1 Desktop and 1 Laptop)

Tested with 2 identicals USB 3.0 "Verbatim USB Store 'n' Go V3 32Go"

Hello!

I just reinstall Original XP SP3 on same computer with same USB Key.

I synchronized my watch with the computer time.

13h51m12s : During XP SP3 install, system warn me for needed files.

13h52m30s : I unplug USB Key.

13h53m30s : I replug USB Key.

13h54m00s : I validate the path for copying needed files. (D:\WINSETUP\XPPSP3\i386\)

Installation continues without any other problems.

I have not been able to find interesting clues in the log files.

Thank you very much.

Here is all the .log Files

LogFiles.7z