How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

Welll my first attempt ended with a code 18 error about missing biosinfo,inf, which *is* on the UFD.

I'm gonna give it another go but I have one question... is the migrate.inf really required? The reason I ask is, I create backups of my disk using dd (there's a lot of other stuff on it), if I write my image to a new disk (if say my current disk dies) will it still work?

Second go, same thing:

File \WIN_SETUP\XP_Pro_SP3\I386\biosinfo.inf could not be loaded
The error code is 18

The file exists... any ideas?

Edit: Nevermind, I renamed the directories \WINSETUP\XP\ and everything works.

Edited by kof94

The log file is from 0.2.3, not from the beta version I gave you link to, did you try it at all? I do have something in mind to point you to that version.

What partition are you installing on? Was it created in advance? Using what tool? Under what operating system? Describe your partitions with their sizes and file systems too.

Can you attach these files from your source- D:\I386\TXTSETUP.OEM and WINNT.SIF, in the latter remove any sensible information such as serial number etc.

Well done, thanks for reporting :)

Next is Jaclaz to pull my ears for not using 8.3 filenames :rolleyes:

More interesting is why it matters in your setup, what file system was this USB disk formatted in?

To be honest so many things could be different with my setup.

My main OS is Slackware, I used fdisk (coreutils) to create a FAT32 (LBA) partition and mkdosfs to create a FAT32 filesystem on my disk then ran your GUI inside VirtualBox to do the rest.

It's an odd arrangement I will admit but it works for me.

Edit: I nearly forgot... The feature I'd most like to see is an option that just creates the ISO without doing the file copying. I can copy/move setup.cmd and setup(org).exe myself!

I also did a test removing migrate.inf... it made no difference.

@Arvi

I had to edit setup.cmd and txtsetup.sif (inside the ISO) to get this to work... I don't know if this helps.

Edited by kof94

I tested now with beeta.

With beeta: I formated my USB with RMPrepUSB. This make USB two partitions: first is NTFS main parttions and second is unactive unknown with capacity 0MB. After boot I got error message:

root (hd0,F:)

Error 11: urecognized device string, or you omitted the required device part which should lead the filename.

I attach log.

With 0_2_3: I formatted with RMPrepUSB NTFS format. This make USB two partitions: first is NTFS 3.8GB parttions and second is unactive unknown with capacity 0MB. I deleted both partitions but RMPrepUSB make two partitions. I tried to install on USB 3.8GB partition not 0B partition. In my computer is winXP pro.

WinSetupFromUSB.zip

WINNT.SIF

TXTSETUP.zip

I tested now with beeta.

With beeta: I formated my USB with RMPrepUSB. This make USB two partitions: first is NTFS main parttions and second is unactive unknown with capacity 0MB. After boot I got error message:

Error 11: urecognized device string, or you omitted the required device part which should lead the filename.

I attach log.

With 0_2_3: I formatted with RMPrepUSB NTFS format. This make USB two partitions: first is NTFS 3.8GB parttions and second is unactive unknown with capacity 0MB. I deleted both partitions but RMPrepUSB make two partitions. I tried to install on USB 3.8GB partition not 0B partition. In my computer is winXP pro.

At the bottom of menu.lst or winsetup.lst (I can't remember) change the line that reads root (hd0,F:) to root (hd0,0) or even better find --set-root /winsetup.lst. This should solve your problem.

Edit: Here's some files for you. txtsetup.sif (for ISO), setup.cmd, menu.lst and winsetup.lst

files.7z

Edited by kof94

I tested now with beeta.

I attach log.

At the bottom of menu.lst or winsetup.lst (I can't remember) change the line that reads root (hd0,F:) to root (hd0,0) or even better find --set-root /winsetup.lst. This should solve your problem.

Edit: Here's some files for you. txtsetup.sif (for ISO), setup.cmd, menu.lst and winsetup.lst

I replaced root (hd0,F:) with root (hd0,0) in menu.lst. Now wasn't errors. I selected first installation part. But it wants to install OS to my HDD. He asked do I want repair or reinstall my C: disk OS. Now was not possible select on which partition I want install.

If you hit Enter you should be able to delete/create a new partition on your HDD and install Windows.

Setup wont allow you to delete the partition on your UFD.

If the wrong drive letter is assigned (e.g. your HDD has no partition(s) to start with) then setup.cmd will force a reboot and reset the drive letter to C: at first GUI.

I hope this makes sense because I'm a little confused with what your trying to do... do you want to install Windows on your HDD from your UFD?

Something else I've just discovered... $OEM$ dir works. I don't know why I thought it wouldn't but my cmdlines.txt is ran at T-13.

The only draw back is the drive letter for the UFD changes after second reboot so any paths set at T-13 for RunOnceEx are incorrect when you get to the desktop.

This isn't an issue though as I can work around it. Infact I could just launch the same script via GUIRunOnce instead and make the $OEM$ dir redundant :rolleyes:

I had an HAL.DLL error, and solved it.

i'm not sure it's WinSetupFromUSB's fault,

but in case it will be helpful to other users, and in case you can actually prevent it in the future, i'm posting my case here

here are the details:

my question (and my answer) on "server fault.com"

here's my log file (i had 3 log files, and i don't know which is relevant, but it doesn't seem to matter in my case)

thanks for the program. it works, and it helped!

20091218_071856_log.cab

I had an HAL.DLL error, and solved it.

Maybe you missed that the FAQ's:

http://www.msfn.org/board/faqs-t116766.html

try to address common problems, and #4 seems like the one you reported ;).

I find much more "preoccupying" the other two issue you reported:

• D: as drive letter
  • Setup files deleted

Can you post some more exact details of what you did and which options you chose (and also which version did you use) :unsure:

jaclaz