How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

hey here is the TXTSETUP.SIF in this case he says that line 4922 is buggy.

"On every attempt for setup the line number changes? Is that what you mean?" What i mean that if "flash" Win XP on the usb stick again, just the buggy line changes for example earlier this day it was number 4925,4428 and 285.

I used WinSetupFromUSB-0.1.1

and Windows XP Home

cheers

Here is the log from adding the WinXP Setup to the USB.

I no longer had access to the Win7 log.

It's a bug which shows up only if the program is placed in the same disk and partition, which is being prepared. Going to fix it in a few hours and post beta4 on the first page.

Thank, nice catch, it's been like this since the first versions of the program and there were no reports for it. I guess very few people place the program on the USB disk they are preparing for installation :)

Yeah I knewit was an odd setup I was doing. but my brother had the win7 files on his USB allready and I just remoted in and did the winsetupfromusb to his drive. But the winxp install files were actually on another disk. I guess because I allready did the win7 files it still had the issue.

@comt

Your txtsetup.sif is corrupted, it's full of weird characters, bad download or something. Check the original source if it's corrupted too and find another source, you may have other files broken.

magicalsnap201001031517.th.jpg magicalsnap201001031518.th.jpg

And use later versions, even betas, 0.1.1 is quite outdated, a lot has been improved since it.

@Siginet

I guess you will understand this- assume the following snippet:

$CurSelPrimPartLetter = "K:"
If Not FileExists($CurSelPrimPartLetter & "\grldr") Then
FileCopy(@ScriptDir & "\files\grub4dos\grldr", $CurSelPrimPartLetter, 1)
EndIf

If you execute it from within K:, grldr will end up in @ScriptDir and FileCopy will return "Success", if executed from any other drive than K:, it will go to root of K:, that's why it was not noticed for long time.

Thanks for the good catch, I'd never have guessed to test the program from the same USB drive :)

@comt

Your txtsetup.sif is corrupted, it's full of weird characters, bad download or something. Check the original source if it's corrupted too and find another source, you may have other files broken.

magicalsnap201001031517.th.jpg magicalsnap201001031518.th.jpg

And use later versions, even betas, 0.1.1 is quite outdated, a lot has been improved since it.

hmm allright but if I use 1.0 beta4 the PC dosen't recognize the usb stick. but i guess i have to try the others ones than.

What do you mean with source? i copyed my WIN XP Home CD to the PC and then used the programm. but on the CD is no such called file.

but if I use 1.0 beta4 the PC dosen't recognize the usb stick.
There shouldn't be a reason for that, apart from disk not properly formatted. Format it with the tools included and it would show up. If does not- please post WinSetupFromUSB.log file in program's directory.

It would not appear in the previous versions as well, if it's not properly formatted, even the previous versions are more restrictive- an active partition is required too.

What do you mean with source? i copyed my WIN XP Home CD to the PC and then used the programm. but on the CD is no such called file.
Well, the file you posted seems corrupted, you'd need to find out why yourself.

And you do have it in the CD, look again.

Hi

I am using ver. 1.0 beta4 of WinSetupFromUSB

I am having trouble installing Windows xp professional (sp2).

Steps taken:

1) Used 8GB Transcend Pendrive

2) Formatted using bootice to NTFS & installed grub4dos (Process MBR) rest left as default options (nothing else was changed)

3) Gave path for CD drive for location of Xp pro sp2 CD.

4) Process started and completed.

5) Booted and started installation on HDD partition for install from First part of installation from the Pendrive.

In the second part of the installation it says "windows is restarting" and then

The trouble it reports is:

"

System Setup Log - (C:\windows\setuperr.log)

Error:

sxs.dll: Syntax error in manifest or policy file "U:\winsetup\sxppsp2\i386\asms\52\msft\windows\net\dxmrtp\dxmrtp.man" on line 0.

Error:

Installation Failed: U:\winsetup\sxppsp2\i386\asms. Error Message : Manifest Parse Error : Invalid at top level of the document.

Fatal Error:

One of the components that windows needs to continue setup could not be installed.

Manifest Parse Error : Invalid at the top level of the document.

"

I have tried this process with an sp3 version of xp pro as well, it reports similar error. In it the windows installation won't go further than second part of installation and would reboot at it again and again so I booted from the HDD (as the first part of the process had completed successfully) and it asked me to locate file "asms" in the i386 folder which I was unable to do and hence it reported the installation as failed.

Please advice.

20100104_104935_log.cab

Can you check and attach \windows\winsetup.log, from the machine where Windows is being installed to?

Have you tried the same USB stick and setup on another machine?

Try also to edit setup.cmd in G:\WINSETUP\XPpSP2\I386\ and change

rem start /min "USB keep mounted work arround, do NOT close!" pushd %CDDRIVE%

to

start /min "USB keep mounted work arround, do NOT close!" pushd %CDDRIVE%

What is the machine in question? Laptop, desktop? What model/motherboard model?

may have done a typo while noting down the path for the errors shown on the screen

if I wrote U:\winsetup\sxppsp2\i386

it would have meant U:\winsetup\xppsp2\i386

Also the message it gives after starting the second part of installation is "setup is restarting"

which lead to the same error after 3 restarts.

The machine in question is a notebook (netbook if you will)

Its Asus eeePC 1000H

I haven't tried the process on any other machine. Just on the same machine again and again( :P )

Will make the code changes you adviced and reply asap.

(Also about the winsetup.log - will try, although you may have to tell me how as currently I have no idea how to get to that file)

If you have a chance when the error appears press shift+F10 to open CMD window.

There you can type:

type %systemroot%\winsetup.log

or even copy it to USB stick if it is still available:

copy %systemroot%\winsetup.log U:\

Please note now I am trying to install windows xp sp3 again (as I had orignally intended)...

No luck in furthering the process it is still stuck on

Dailog Box:

----------------------------------------------------

Files Needed

----------------------------------------------------

The file 'asms' on Windows Xp professional Service Pack 3 CD is needed.

Type the path where the file is located, and then click OK.

Copy files from:

GLOBALROOT\??\WINSETUP\XPPSP3\I386

Although now I have a dos prompt named "USB keep mounted work around, do NOT close" minimized on the same setup screen as well.

Ok, please check winsetup.log when this appears and also open \WINSETUP\XPpSP2.ISO with 7zip for example and extract txtsetup.sif. Include it with the contents of winsetup.log.

I hope these Eeepc's will not be the troublemakers and something else is wrong :)

Added: In the new cmd window what happens when you type U: and press enter? Does it change to U: or says "the system cannot find the drive specified"?

I hope not, I have installed windows on it earlier using the stable version of WinSetupFromUSB and that worked fine. (I was so pleased I made it my default way of installing windows everywhere)

I have extracted the file "txtsetup.sif. However its size is 583KB and this site does not allow >200K files so I have 7zipped it and uploaded. (I hope that is OK?)

Please note that the current info that I am giving is for xp pro sp3 installation. I am attaching the log created by WinSetupFromUSB for this particular try (as the log I had last uploaded was of the sp2 install). As I couldn't make a cab file of it through opening and WinSetupFromUSB I have 7zipped it as well.

I am trying to write down the contents of the file: C:\windows\winsetup.log

(the copy command did not work as it could not find the drive U:, of course that implies changing prompt to U: would not work as well, although that did not stop me from trying)

Will take a few minutes for me to note down the contents, so please wait.

WinSetupFromUSB.7z

TXTSETUP.7z

Have uploaded it as rtf, its the same file no formatting or anything just changed the extension

Please note the word "definied" is written as found in output of the type command.

Edit: missed a line reuploading...

fixed a few typos

--third time's a charm--

Also note that the volumes d,e,f,g,h,i are part of my normal partitioning and c is the reformatted drive for installation of windows.

winsetup.rtf

Edited by satire_rutilant