fake 16GB USB Flash Drive

You can try "Ranish Partition Manager" to create the partition exactly where you want. Tough it's an old tool and will only format in FAT (it can create an NTFS partition but will not format it), it can also verify the partition. You jusyt need to boot in DOS, launch "part244.exe" that's included in the zip file (in fact, part244 is the only file you will need). Toggle HDD(s) and USB drive by pressing F5, the partitions will appear.

You can try "Ranish Partition Manager" to create the partition exactly where you want. Tough it's an old tool and will only format in FAT (it can create an NTFS partition but will not format it), it can also verify the partition. You jusyt need to boot in DOS, launch "part244.exe" that's included in the zip file (in fact, part244 is the only file you will need). Toggle HDD(s) and USB drive by pressing F5, the partitions will appear.

I never boot in Dod do how I can excess my the file part244.exe if I am in DOS

Download part244 from here and extract part244.exe.

If you have a floppy drive (or USB floppy drive), and a DOS boot diskette, put that file on the floppy, boot and launch it.

If you don't have a floppy drive, you'll need to either make a DOS boot CD with the file on it or get a dos boot cd and have an accessible (FAT) partition where the file can be put and launched.

• 2 weeks later...

Throw the **** thing out and buy a new one from a reputable source. Give it up. You can get brand new 1GB USB memory sticks for less then $10. You're beating down a dead path.

Edited by jcarle

Man how time flies and I using a 256MB flash and my other one that costed 27 dollars got lost outside

I have been seeing advertisments for these on ebay. I thought these were fake all along. You need evidence from multiple users of the same hardware.

FAT16 can hold up to 2GIG

FAT32 can hold a 3.99gig file and format up to 2TB

NTFS can hold even father then Exabytes

Edited by Ludwig Von Cookie Koopa

• 3 years later...

Can Anyone Help Me....Well I've gt A Weird Unique kind of Kingston 16gb pen drive/flash drive or what u may call that.... When I Bought It And run it for the first time;it showed 15.6 Gb Space free as expected....Suddenly Don't Know What Struck My mind but i decided to format it (wish i could undo tht format just One time) And Got the result after some time tht "Windows Was Unable Complete The Format" And The Pen Drive Got Corrupted now displaying just 0mb as free disk...(Type Of Dead).....

After Some Searching; I got the idea to VERIFY THE FLASH DRIVE FROM KINGSTON'S WEBSITE...SO CHECKED AND GOT THE RESULT...."The flash memory product you inquired about is not an authentic Kingston product. We suggest that you double check the information on the product label."

So Now I Started Considering My Pen Drive As Fake And Looking For Solutions....Reached SOSFakeflash;"http://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/2008/10/25/repairing-counterfeit-flash-drives/comment-page-2/#comments"....Then I Tried Used "h2testw_1.4";"AlcorTools numerable versions.." ; "Iformat 2" And What not....Many more such programs..But None Of These Programs Recognized my Flash Frive.....Nothing Seemed to Work.....

Finally Got The Idea to check my VID And PID and other details through the software called "Chipgenius/Usbdeview" And Then With This Info. Try TO Search The Right Software For Re-Flashing My Flash Drive (See How Knowledge increases but still no use;lol).....Here's The Result I Got......Searching since 3 days; got nothing...So Tomshardware For Help....

Can Anyone Give Suggestions ??

Here Are Some Screenshots Of My Research On My Flash Drive.....

Screenshot02h12m32s (Some Indication It Is A Fake)

Screenshot20h32m44s (Some Indication It is Not... lol...)

VID = 8888 PID = 8888 As Indicated By The Following Usbdeview image....

Screenshot01h48m49s-1

Screenshot01h49m04s

Awaiting Help..I'm Very Confused ; What To Do....

Edited by dencorso
Restored Links, thanks to allen2

Thanks, allen2! :thumbup

Links are restored now.

Now, to say the least, Speedy1994 could be more patient, IMO...

He not only posted in two forums, but double-posted here (I deleted the dupe, of course)...

He not only posted in two forums, but double-posted here (I deleted the dupe, of course)...

Well, he also got a reply on the "other" forum, that strangely :w00t: reminds me of this ;):

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/824477/6_volt_battery_hack_youll_be_amazed/

:lol:

:angel

A VID=8888 PID=8888 as well as VID=6666 PID=8888 or similar are "typical" of "fake" USB sticks.

Someone also submitted test results here:

http://usbspeed.nirsoft.net/?pdesc=UDISK+USB+Device&vid=34952&pid=34952

(plese do note the Write speed of that 32 Gb stick :w00t:)

Most probably the only way to know what is inside it is to actually and physically open the stoopid stick, example:

http://www.myblog.bloggybloggy.com/fixing-hacked-usb-memory-stick-08-04-2008/

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz