WinXP cmd.exe renamed to command.com

The XP CMD.exe doesnt work for me i didnt rename it to command.com

(these are missing)

KERNEL32.DLL

GetVDMCurrentDirectories

(this i dont this is very important because it works on nt4 without these)

ADVAPI32.DLL

SaferRecordEventLogEntry

SaferCloseLevel

SaferComputeTokenFromLevel

SaferIdentifyLevel

I was just playing around with the cmd.exe file from WinXP and renamed it to command.com

and it still works as if nothing has change.

Now i was just wondering since i renamed it to command.com will it work on Win98SE?

Hi, PROBLEMCHYLD! This is a characteristic behaviour that is inherited from good old MS_DOS:

The command interpreter can have any name. This is "by design". Moreover, it doesn't matter

whether the extention is .com or . exe, since both are known to the SO as "executable".

But probably it will stop working if you change the extention to .pdf or .txt ...

On the other hand, from the point-of-view of the program loader, if the extension is executale

it goes ahead and tries to execute the file, then checking the file format signature, to be able to

do so: if none is found it wil assume it's a .com (executable image) format and try to execute it

from the first byte, whereas if a format signature (MZ, PE, NE, LE) is found it will take the known

necessary steps to load correctly the diverse segments of the file, and then transfer control to the

address found in the program file header. By the way, MS-DOS 7.1 COMMAND.COM is, in fact, an

.exe file, as can be seen by loading it in any hexeditor and observing that the first two bytes are MZ.

The name is just a nod to older times. All this said, there remains the question of cmd.exe's depen-

dencies, which are another reason for it not to run under Win 9x. But that's another matter entirely.

In the past, there was a "fever" for replacements of the DOS command interpreter, the best know

of which was Norton Utilities's NDOS.COM (who else still remembers of it?)... HTH

Win95cmd.exe - excellent find! Does anyone have consize.exe?

As for solution, command.com and cmd.exe can be merged so command.com will work under DOS, and cmd.exe in Windows. I'll try to do that.

so its safe to say this file is ok or what

how many bugs etc...

it this a replace for command.com?

No, the idea is to have under win9x/Me GUI (NOT under DOS 7.x command line) an alternate command interpreter capable of running .cmd batch scripts INSTEAD of .bat ones and take advantages of most (but NOT all) added features of batch commands from NT/2K.

For a replacement of DOS command.com, the reference is of course the JP Softwares 4DOS, which used to be Commercial, then was released as FREEWARE and recently became OPEN SOURCE :) !:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/4DOS-is-no...urce-t2549.html

Start here:

http://www.4dos.info/

http://www.4dos.info/4dinfo.htm

if you do not know what 4DOS is.

Win95cmd.exe - excellent find! Does anyone have consize.exe?

I don't get it :unsure:, the download on the given site:

http://cygutils.fruitbat.org/consize/

has TWO builds of it, already compiled.

jaclaz

• 2 weeks later...
For a replacement of DOS command.com, the reference is of course the JP Softwares 4DOS
Definitely a nifty replacement tool (glad someone else noticed it). But be forewarned that certain DOS equivalent functions yield slightly different output. This means that some BAT files (or commands eg DIR) may not yield the same results if output is fed into another process. AutoPatch for 98SE is currently detecting it as a "no-no" until the work-arounds can be obtained. Best bet (if you try it out) is to install it, revert the Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files to the originals (backed up automatically BTW) and read the HELP stuff for more info (sloooow reading). Most "standard Command.com" functions do work exactly the same.

On topic, a command.com that works like cmd.exe would be better. It would allow for CMD execution instead of the 4DOS-style alternative and would retain functional compatibility for DOS-style(?) output.

On topic, a command.com that works like cmd.exe would be better. It would allow for CMD execution instead of the 4DOS-style alternative and would retain functional compatibility for DOS-style(?) output.
Well Tihiy had a good idea about merging those two. Why bothering with 3rd party apps?
??? I thought that's what I said ??? Besides, that could also be construed as "third party"...

Let it go (big "sigh" here). Many alternatives to suit the individual requirements. Wishing success to such an endeavor. I too would use it...

• 7 months later...