Is Nlite and Vlite legal?

max_carpenter

Just wondering does Microsoft permit use of Nlite and Vlite providing the right key is used for the correct machine, only we install machines day in day out over here and what I was going to do was create a custom Disk for 2000 and XP and include as much of teh software as possbile that we install with every machine (things like winzip, pdf creator acrobat reader etc) include the common drivers then make it all unattended apart from the License Key screen

Then with all teh computers we just pop this disk in away installation goes, gets to License key we type the correct one in for that machine then away it goes again doing the rest of it I reckon it will cut down the time of reinstalling a machine by about half an hour and make our lifes alot easyier but is it actually legal to do that?

Objectively while we don't do anything illegal like cracking protections it's ok, but as far as I know in some states you can't even backup your own Windows CD.

Majority of enthusiasts edit their installation cds today, it is silly to ask us not to do it. And just look at the Microsoft WAIK tool, which essentially answers your question. We probably can have 1 backup CD, it's now different with Vista than it was with XP...it's up to you to obey those things if you must.

Ok Nuhi but microsoft dos't allow to use third party themes but nlited cd allow it. Microsoft enforce user to pass through "WGA" when you install WMP11 and IE7 but nlite solve this problem without passing "WGA" by integrate them in sorce cd. Microsoft allow these options?

rehbar, I don't integrate WMP directly, WMP Slipstreamer does.

IE7 when integrated isn't changed one bit, just copied. It's a nusproduct that you didn't need to setup it and then WGA didn't kick in. That doesn't mean you don't need to pass WGA to be able to access updates and what not.

And just for the record I'm not saying it's perfectly bullet proof, I'm just saying it's not hurting MS in any way, quite the contrary.

It's not like some sort of 'law representative' comes by on a regular basis to each house to make sure there aren't any modified or backed up Windows CDs either. And (thankfully) the same thing doesn't happen with RIAA and MPAA agents doing the same to make sure you aren't violating the DMCA.

Read this:

http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPo...7&SiteID=25

I don't see how using a tool to help you install a legitimate copy of Windows violates anything. Although many large corporations, my employer among them, refuse to use shareware or freeware that does not have a legal EULA specifically permitting the software's use in a corporate environment. Not saying it can't be used isn't enough for corporate lawyers. They insist on seeing something that says it CAN be used that way. Short of that, they'd rather pay for a commercially available product than risk an audit and fines.

Our company routinely runs Tivoli scans on all systems from time to time looking for software for which we do not have an EULA on file.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but many larger businesses do adopt that position.

Smaller businesses are probably less likely targets of software audits.

Hope that helps.

...only we install machines day in day out over here and what I was going to do was create a custom Disk for 2000 and XP and include as much of teh software as possbile that we install with every machine (things like winzip, pdf creator acrobat reader etc) include the common drivers then make it all unattended apart from the License Key screen

Then with all teh computers we just pop this disk in away installation goes, gets to License key we type the correct one in for that machine then away it goes again doing the rest of it I reckon it will cut down the time of reinstalling a machine by about half an hour and make our lifes alot easyier but is it actually legal to do that?

Sounds to me like you're doing this commercially, ie, for a business? I believe this violates nLites license? :whistle: