Antivirus

Hi, I'm looking to buy some Antivirus that is just that I don't need a firewall or spamfilters. I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations. I need 5 user licences and something that will work well with both XP and Vista. Also I would prefer a reasonable cost. I would appreciate any advice on this matter your's sincerely Mike Shaw.

I'll add another vote for Avast. I've got it running on all my relatives' computers and they are quite happy. It's also nice and light on resources. My mother's computer is an Athlon 1GHz with 256MB of RAM, and it hums along without any troubles.

Avast is OK, but since he's looking for 5 user licenses, he's not likely in a home and non-commercial scenario, so it's not free. He'd have to buy the pro version, so 40$ USD/seat. That's the exact same price as NOD32. Kaspersky is 10$ more. I hear good things about the Avast home/free version - but the comments sound much like "pretty good for a free app". Haven't used it much, so can't really say much about it.

Kaspersky is extremely thorough, but it's heavier on system resources. If you need absolute and the most extreme protection (e.g. something that will can for viruses inside installshield installers in a RAR'ed ISO image), this just might be your best bet. I've used it for a couple years and was rather happy with it (besides the annoying NTFS alternate streams it creates). I've given up on it after getting a bug that made it peak the CPU to 99% solid non-stop (even if you leave it for an hour, it still wouldn't go down). That, and it was just more of an AV than I really needed (I wanted something a bit lighter). Didn't like the console in the newer version either (seemed like they've just dumbed down the previous one and removed options). I had a bunch of false positives with it though (but nothing major)

NOD32. Good app like kaspersky, but lighter (quick, decent resource usage, etc). Good config options. Provides very good protection. Good definitions and updated timely. No false positives yet. Haven't had problems of any kind yet really.

Haven't used BitDefender. No idea... Might be worth trying.

noadware isn't even an antivirus... And you REALLY don't want that crap on your system either: pretty good link but in french (use google language tools or the fish). It's from the same people who make Spyware Assassin -- the FTC filed complaints about that bogus/rogue app too. It was listed on many sites as a rogue app too. It reported false stuff to get you to buy it and more crap. They were promoted by the CWS/CoolWebSearch spyware and all, and some old versions even installed spyware (VX2/h and Look2Me). Who wants to run software from companies without any morals/ethics like that? So not only it's not an AV, it's plain BAD advice. If one wants antispyware apps, there's more than enough free and good ones, like ad-aware spybot s&d... There's no reason to spend a single penny on this thing.

Not sure about Vista support though.

But they all have trials. Why not download them all, install the trials on the PCs, and in a month's time buy the one you prefer/had less problems with? There's a thread about AV products too if you're looking for other's opinions. There's many sites with reviews and awards (like VB100%) too.

Kaspersky has a better detection rate than NOD32 but is also heavier on system resources and buggier. NOD32 has a nicer GUI, rock-solid stability and the best on system resources that I've ever seen. I choose stability over detection rate because I rely on my computer sense moreso than actual software.

I personally believe you don't need any other product once you've been exposed to the breath of fresh air NOD32 offers.... unless you're going for freeware. I've read many people say that Avast has kept them on the green.

So Avast or NOD32... try them out. Cheers.