Note: WinME-Defrag.exe in Win98SE breaks Money99!

creopard

Hi folks,

I just wanted to inform you, that overwriting the original Win98SE-defrag.exe with the defrag.exe from WinME breaks the "Microsoft Money99" installation that results in the following error message:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
Program: .....\money.exe
R6025
-pure virtual function call

I'm not sure why this affects the defrag.exe but it's a reproducible error.

Keep that in mind, since I got mails from various people about that, after including the WinME-defrag into the German inofficial Win98SE ServicePack!

Interesting discussion about open source defragmenter here

Out of curiosity, what is the reason why you put a direct or indirect link to ReactOS in every other post you make? :blink:

ReactOS is NT oriented, has nothing to do with Win9x/ME.

jaclaz

Interesting discussion about open source defragmenter here

Out of curiosity, what is the reason why you put a direct or indirect link to ReactOS in every other post you make? :blink:

jaclaz

REAL pathetic, patchworks! that's being a little immature of you. open source defrags are WAY OFF topic and are vastly irrelevant to the problem swgreed is having here

I strongly agree with Tihiy. WinME Defrag (US English edition) worked fine under my Win98FE/SE machines and did NOT break any programs.

The Money 99 program might have been broken either during a computer crash or when using Scandisk to delete lost clusters. Pop in your MS Money 99 CD, swgreed, and re-install the Money 99 program to make it work again.

also ask the creator of the German 98se SP to remove German WinME defrag from the pack.

Edited by erpdude8

Out of curiosity, what is the reason why you put a direct or indirect link to ReactOS in every other post you make?

Have you read that 3ad ? :blink:

Anyway, open source zealot here. :sneaky:

As almost _every_ windows users (and some Linux too) your eyes are quite closed: open source means free access to the source, in other words you can "port" the code to your platform (in this case to windows 98). Am I wrong ?

In this particular case, we have JkDefrag that is a GNU disk defragment and optimize utility for Windows 2000/2003/XP/Vista/X64. and FreeDOS defrag that aims to be a great utility for people using old versions of windows, like win95 or win98.

In other hand ROS offers fraginator...

1+1=2 : what about build a multi platform/filesystem disk optimizer/defragmenter ? :hello:

Edited by patchworks

Have you read that 3ad ?

Sure.

Anyway, open source zealot here.

I am too, but I try to give links related to the topic, not general, unrelated things.

I used (and posted a link to) jkdefrag, besides other utilities, a rather long time ago, here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...85812&st=47

As almost _every_ windows users (and some Linux too) your eyes are quite closed: open source means free access to the source, in other words you can "port" the code to your platform (in this case to windows 98).

Well, my eyes are open enough to read:

How safe is it?

JkDefrag is based on the standard defragmentation API by Microsoft, a system library that is included in Windows 2000, 2003, XP, and Vista.

Though a very nice utility, it NEEDS NT family API's, Win9x/Me are different.

Am I wrong ?

Yes.

FreeDOS defrag, on the other hand, is known to be buggy, expecially on large volumes.

OK, there seems to be a bug in the write back cache in defrag. Therefor for larger media defrag doesn't work correctly. So for the moment you are encouraged to work with a different defragmenter.

I am working on a bug fix so please be patient and ...

1+1=2 : what about build a multi platform/filesystem disk optimizer/defragmenter ?

Very good idea, and while you do it, we could plan to live forever happily, together with our flying elephants, but WHAT can this be related to solving the problem swgreed has?

jaclaz

nonsense.

What will happen if there is no defrag.exe? Maybe it is other Me defrag part (cvtapplog, taskmon) issue?

You're invited to test it yourself! :P

was it German WinME Defrag or English WinME Defrag, swgreed? check carefully

also was MS Money NOT running when you used WinME Defrag under Win98se?

I have a version of MS Money which is MS Money 2001 (newer than the 99 edition) which is on the MS Works & Money 2001 CD that came with my HP Pavilion computer. WinME Defrag did NOT break that version of MS Money.

Sure.

Then i'm right: you're eyes are closed.

swgreed asked to fix a problem caused from the SUBSTITUTION of the original Win98SE-defrag.exe with the defrag.exe from WinME...

I am too, but I try to give links related to the topic, not general, unrelated things.

...so from MY point of view substituting original WIN98SE-defrag.exe with an open source one IS related to the topic (guess how).

I used (and posted a link to) jkdefrag, besides other utilities, a rather long time ago, here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...85812&st=47

Well, i find just one 3ad -except this- with the "jkdefrag" tag...

Yes.

FreeDOS defrag, on the other hand, is known to be buggy, expecially on large volumes.

Well i unsderstand the difference between me and you: you just USE open source software while i'm trying to PROMOTE (even the develop of) it.

I don't post USABLE SOFTWARE but WANNABE IDEAS, can you see the difference ?

Very good idea, and while you do it, we could plan to live forever happily, together with our flying elephants, but WHAT can this be related to solving the problem swgreed has?

jaclaz

While i'm not a developer i MUST try to stimulate indipendet developers to reach the solutions.

If this is wrong, then sorry, but the "evangelism" have to go on.

(anyway note that i'm not an alone dreamer)

@patchworks

As said, I am too a fan of Opensource, I even actually wrote some (in my very primitive batch files) but as you have your point of view:

...so from MY point of view substituting original WIN98SE-defrag.exe with an open source one IS related to the topic (guess how).

I have my rather more pragmatic one:

while substituting MS defrag.exe with an opensource one, is a nice thing and, more important than that, it is pertaining to the OP request, IF the program exists.

If it does not, it does not solve the problem, nor does it belong to this thread....;)

So the answer to my question:

Out of curiosity, what is the reason why you put a direct or indirect link to ReactOS in every other post you make?

is clear :rolleyes: (bolding is mine):

While i'm not a developer i MUST try to stimulate indipendet developers to reach the solutions.

If this is wrong, then sorry, but the "evangelism" have to go on.

About this:

(anyway note that i'm not an alone dreamer)

you might however understand the difference there is between starting a new thread about an existing good app and hijacking someone else's thread with unuseful, unrelated information.

And I am begging the pardon of other members if our little exchange of ideas has worsened this hijacking :ph34r:

jaclaz

my 2 ¢ :

Defrag, scandisk and other hard disk tools [like format, fdisk, mbr etc] have nothing to do with software like Money [no matter which edition/version].

Defrag + scandisk do their work at disk level, they understand/verify/fix/backup/etc clusters, boot sectors, FAT, LFNs, they do not understand Windows APIs/Controls/DLLs [used by apps like Money].

So if there would be a flaw in defrag, that would result only in boot sector/cluster/file entry/directory entry errors.

And as we know, scandisk can fix most such errors.

HTH

my 2 ¢ :

Defrag, scandisk and other hard disk tools [like format, fdisk, mbr etc] have nothing to do with software like Money [no matter which edition/version].

Defrag + scandisk do their work at disk level, they understand/verify/fix/backup/etc clusters, boot sectors, FAT, LFNs, they do not understand Windows APIs/Controls/DLLs [used by apps like Money].

So if there would be a flaw in defrag, that would result only in boot sector/cluster/file entry/directory entry errors.

And as we know, scandisk can fix most such errors.

HTH

my sentiments exactly, MDGx!

so the REAL cause of MS Money no longer working properly is NOT WinME Defrag. it could be something else (an incorrect or corrupt version of a DLL file) that can make MS Money stop working.

just insert your MS Money CD-ROM, swgreed, and re-install the program and it should work as expected. end of story.

That's what I thought as well, but I got 2 user-feedbacks that had exactly the same problem (see error message from the 1st post). I triple checked everything until I left out the German WinME defrag.exe in the Win98 SE SP installation process.

(Reinstalling Money99 didn't change anything.)

The inf-install file was (concerning to the defrag.exe copy-routines) exactly the same as the English version.

However I still think it has something to do with the inf-installaton process, i.e. simply overwriting Win98 Defrag with WinME Defrag using the Explorer works fine and Money99 also does not complain. But installing WinME Defrag with the Win98 SE SP installation routine breaks Money99...

I'm at a loss...

I have no explanation for that kind of behaviour :blink:

Edited by swgreed

The inf-install file was (concerning to the defrag.exe copy-routines) exactly the same as the English version.

However I still think it has something to do with the inf-installaton process, i.e. simply overwriting Win98 Defrag with WinME Defrag using the Explorer works fine and Money99 also does not complain. But installing WinME Defrag with the Win98 SE SP installation routine breaks Money99...

I'm at a loss...

I have no explanation for that kind of behaviour :blink:

weird :huh:

Edited by erpdude8