Note: WinME-Defrag.exe in Win98SE breaks Money99!

creopard

Most probably this is COMPLETELY unrelated :ph34r: , but I found here:

http://snoopy81.ifrance.com/snoopy81/en/tools.htm

http://snoopy81.ifrance.com/snoopy81/dl_en/money81.inf

A modified .inf file to use money99 without Internet Explorer (i.e. on a 98lite install).

Is it possible that money99 somehow "calls" something in Explorer or related .dll's that in turn do some "weird" check on defrag.exe or on its Registry entries? :blink:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Most probably this is COMPLETELY unrelated :ph34r: , but I found here:

http://snoopy81.ifrance.com/snoopy81/en/tools.htm

http://snoopy81.ifrance.com/snoopy81/dl_en/money81.inf

A modified .inf file to use money99 without Internet Explorer (i.e. on a 98lite install).

Is it possible that money99 somehow "calls" something in Explorer or related .dll's that in turn do some "weird" check on defrag.exe or on its Registry entries?

jaclaz

Very much so [especially registry entries (?)], otherwise disk clusters/files/directories [even if deffective] have nothing to do with money99 or any other software program.

The only thing that might happen if the money99 clusters or files are deffective, is that you might get an invalid/GPF/IPF/or similar error(s) because the money99 executable cannot find other files/directories it depends on for proper operation.

HTH

@patchworks

As said, I am too a fan of Opensource, I even actually wrote some (in my very primitive batch files) but as you have your point of view:

...so from MY point of view substituting original WIN98SE-defrag.exe with an open source one IS related to the topic (guess how).

I have my rather more pragmatic one:

while substituting MS defrag.exe with an opensource one, is a nice thing and, more important than that, it is pertaining to the OP request, IF the program exists.

If it does not, it does not solve the problem, nor does it belong to this thread....;)

So the answer to my question:

Out of curiosity, what is the reason why you put a direct or indirect link to ReactOS in every other post you make?

is clear :rolleyes: (bolding is mine):

While i'm not a developer i MUST try to stimulate indipendet developers to reach the solutions.

If this is wrong, then sorry, but the "evangelism" have to go on.

About this:

(anyway note that i'm not an alone dreamer)

you might however understand the difference there is between starting a new thread about an existing good app and hijacking someone else's thread with unuseful, unrelated information.

And I am begging the pardon of other members if our little exchange of ideas has worsened this hijacking :ph34r:

jaclaz

very well said, jaclaz. But I really HATE "Opensource" apps that do NOT work under Windows 9xME systems, so I recommend AGAINST them. unless they are reliable enough to run under Win95/98/ME, AVOID using such programs. so that's my "rebuttal" to what patchworks said earlier.

swgreed may want to try un-instaling money99, deleting the registry entries and "left-over" files and then re-installing money99 from scratch to get it to work again.

might be possible the german 98se SP corrupted some DLL files that caused money99 to stop working.

swgreed may want to try un-instaling money99, deleting the registry entries and "left-over" files and then re-installing money99 from scratch to get it to work again.

might be possible the german 98se SP corrupted some DLL files that caused money99 to stop working.

Tried all that already, but the dll-corruption assumption is an interesting point...

But why just the defrag.exe? It seems to be an unexplainable side effect... (for now) ;)