seagate bracooder clicking noise

Hey i built my pc just over a year now and laltly my hdd has been making strange clicking noise and the pc will freeze up for about 5 secs and sometimes you are forced to reset and after reset it has corrupt files, luckerly i am able to replace these files pretty easyerly.

the hdd hasent made these noises for the last 2 weeks or so and hasent clicked for a while, what do you think was rong with it or is it damadged?

Is this common in seagate harddrives?

p.s is there any freeware hard drive moniter tools that could help me.

and i saw this on a tv show, it's where theres a picture of the hdd and it shows where the reading arm is, is there any such thing and if there is where can i get it from?

Edited by mad_dog369

OK thanks for your help, is there any such software that shows where you had drive arm is reading from the hard drive?

thanks for your help but it isent all that easy to backup 100gigs of files lol anyway.

Buy another hard drive pronto and Ghost it before it's too late.

No the warranty peried was very stupid they only gave me a 1 year warranty and it has run out just a few months ago quit stupid i think.

For future reference, don't get a HDD unless it has more than 1 year warranty. Just get a Seagate for an easy 5 year one. ;)

If your drive is still clicking, then I wish you luck running anything from it for much longer.

If your drive is still clicking, then I wish you luck running anything from it for much longer.

Indeed. Besides, I wouldn't waste any time with drive "repair" apps (some might be able to remap a couple bad sectors, but nothing will fix the clicking). This drive's about to die completely.

And IMO, data on just about any drive is worth a lot more than the drive itself. From family photos that can't be replaced, to trip photos, documents of all types that took countless hours to write/make, etc. That's surely worth more than whatever a new HD costs. At the very first sign of failure, I unplug a drive, get a replacement, copy stuff over, and dispose of the old one. Chances are the old drive could have been used a little bit longer, but I see no point in risking data loss, especially given today's cheap storage prices (like 30 cents/GB).

Yes i have backed all my photos and music and anything eles inportent.

I have also found a nice 200 gig hdd for cheap from a friend (it's new of cores) umm so yeah i'll let every one know how things go with it.

The hdd hasent clicked or crashed for a good month now but i know it's on the way out, it has readings like a 56 raw error rate, it gets very hot on simple processing, and well that just says something!