The Console War

Slimy

In Your Honest Opinion,  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Which Console Do You Think Will Sell The Most?

• PlayStation 3
    • Nintendo Wii
    • Microsoft Xbox 360
  2. 2. Which Console Will/Have You Purchase?

• PlayStation 3
    • Nintendo Wii
    • Microsoft Xbox 360
    • Xbox 360 + Wii
    • Xbox 360 + PS3
    • Wii + PS3
    • All Three
    • None

Note: The numbers in this post are updated often. Post last edited on December 17, 2006

Market Share

Microsoft Xbox 360 = 79.28%

Nintendo Wii = 16.40%

Sony PlayStation 3 = 4.32%

x360_forum2.jpg

wii_forum2.jpg

ps3_forum2.jpg

Total Consoles Sold = 10,917,516

The numbers are coming in, I'll be updating the first post as often as I can. Keep the fanboyism out of the topic guys!

Edited by Slimy

I personnally think PS3 will sell the most, although I prefer the Xbox 360. I really don't class the Wii as the same type of console as the other two now as both types do different things (PS and XB for Graphics, Wii for Gameplay). It's not comparable in my eyes.

You know today's controllers : you sit somewhere and play.

The wii's controller makes you move, you'll sometimes end up exhausted. Beating an opponent does not mean you simply have better fingers, it means much more; you play with your entire body, not just with two hands. You'll have to do big moves in order to catch a ball, just like in reality. Playing with a classic controller has always been a bit sad because it has never tired anybody (not considering >4hours LANs :P ).

In fact, it gives you the fun of the reality and the occasion to have a minigun or a rocket launcher. Moreover, there is a social thing : it seems meant to be multiplayer.

Maybe that the best example is parents who tell their children not to stay in front of the television as a couch potato while they can do sports outside.

Maybe that wikipedia will say it better:

Another widely publicized effect of endorphin production is the so-called "runner's high", which is said to occur when strenuous exercise takes a person over a threshold that activates endorphin production. Endorphins are released during long, continuous workouts, when the level of intensity is between moderate and high, and breathing is difficult. This also corresponds with the time that muscles use up their stored glycogen and begin functioning with only oxygen. Workouts that are most likely to produce endorphins include running, swimming, cross-country skiing, long distance rowing, bicycling, aerobics, or playing a sport such as basketball, soccer, or football. However, some scientists question the mechanisms at work, their research possibly demonstrating the high comes from completing a challenge rather than as a result of exertion. (Klosterman) (Altman) There is some recent evidence that endogenous cannabinoids are responsible for "runner's high", rather than endorphins. (Endocannabinoids and exercise, by A Dietrich and W F McDaniel, May 4, 2004 bjsportsmed.com). Studies in the early 1980's cast doubt on the relationship between endorphins and the runner's high. There were a couple of reasons for this doubt. The first was that when an antagonist (pharmacological agent that blocks the action for the substance under study) was infused (eg naloxone) or ingested (naltrexone) the same changes in mood state occurred that happened when the person exercised with no blocker. A second piece of evidence is much more simple. It turns out that scientists cannot make a runner's high occur in the lab with any certainty. This makes it very difficult to study much less prove that endorphins cause the runners high.

For the first time in long time, I am considering buying a console: Wii.

Just the same. Their ads are holly attracting and it has what a computer will never come close to.

Exactly my opinion. Always thought I didn't need a console since a good PC can do the same and even better... But the Wii has got me wrong. No PC has such controller.

Now I wanna be one of those idiots doing funny moves in front of their TVs ! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Wii, because of the innovation. I don't see anything new in those other not-next-gen consoles.

It are just a bunch of beefed up computers with a controller attached to them. Nintendo is totally unlike that. Every console they release has something new. I especially like their WFC Connection :) Would like to see MS attempting something better, though they can't with their crappy paid Xbox Live.