Light ...Simple Firewall

MGadAllah

XP has one built in.

True, but it's targeted by a lot of malware and lacks the functionality and flexibility of 3rd party ones like Outpost Firewall v4.0. However, argumentatively, a firewall is better than no firewall.

But I:

1. Am behind a router (D-Link DI-604)

2. Am wired, not wireless.

3. Use a great deal of computer sense.

I no longer run a software firewall but do use anti-virus to scan downloaded files. That's all.

Outpost Firewall v4.0
I've just installed it a few days ago and machine was dying to breath :no::} , and that was the reason for my post. So a light, simple, and effective one is the thing I'm looking for :)

dying to breath with outpost... hmmm what are your system specs ?

dying to breath with outpost... hmmm what are your system specs ?
Please find the attatched report for complete info about my computer generated using EVEREST Ultimate Edition 2006, I really do hope if you tell me how to configure it right

Report.rar

Edited by MGadAllah

Your system should be fine with Outpost. I can't see any reason why your system would slow down with it installed. A P4 2.8GHz with 512MB of RAM is not a slow system. :P

Comodo is a good free firewall. It's easy on resources, and passes just about every leak-test out there.

To be honest though - Windows firewall is more than you should need. I've been running without a firewall (or anti-virus for that matter) for about 4 months now, and I haven't had any problems. I connect to the internet at various places (home, university, friends) and I've never seen a situation where a software firewall would help me. Keep your Windows up to date and you should be fine.