ie6 on 95

awergh

Sorry to be the virus that pops up in every thread about unofficial service craps. What I don't understand is why everyone is trying so dang hard to make their operating system LOOK newer or RUN newer apps when there are actually NEWER OPERATING SYSTEMS OUT THERE! Why not bite the bullet and get yourselves a newer operating system! If you don't want a newer operating system (or can't afford one - because yes, they are expensive) Then why not just be content with what you have!!! Is it not simple logic? Am I (and hundreds of thousands of other Windows 98 users)missing something here? What's the point of making your operating system LOOK newer? News flash: IT'S STILL WINDOWS 98 NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT LOOKS LIKE XP OR VISTA!!! And running newer apps on older operating systems? What's the point? Windows 95 was way inferior to Windows 98 SE. Just upgrade to 98...IT WON'T EVEN COST MUCH!!! And besides, isn't it illegal to rip off files from newer operating systems and try to fit them into an older one? I wonder what Microsoft would say about this?
And besides, isn't it illegal to rip off files from newer operating systems and try to fit them into an older one? I wonder what Microsoft would say about this?

While I do agree with the above about taking files from later Windows versions, that don't mean they're gonna waste money for Vista nor Windows XP, because many PCs don't meet the minimum requirements for Windows Vista and Windows XP may slow down some PCs.

In this case, they should look for Windows 98. Besides, games likely have issues with anything less than Windows 98.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

What's the point of making your operating system LOOK newer? News flash: IT'S STILL WINDOWS 98 NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT LOOKS LIKE XP OR VISTA!!!

People just like eye candy. (Not me, though.)

That's all there is to it.

And running newer apps on older operating systems? What's the point?

Being able to use those newer programs? I never understood why it's such a crime to run newer programs on older OSs.

Windows 95 was way inferior to Windows 98 SE.

Bulls***.

Just upgrade to 98...IT WON'T EVEN COST MUCH!!!

No. It will tax my system more, include crap I don't want, bloat Explorer and integrate IE4. Maybe some people like that, but I don't.

HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

I can't believe such negativity/argument-for-sake-of-argument...

Why mod a given MS operating system with "newer" stuff? THE PREFERENCE OF A GIVEN OPSYS WITH MORE GOODIES!!!!! and ABOVE ALL --- THE THRILL OF BEING ABLE TO DO IT!!!!

Whaaa did he say?

Did no one ever take apart a toy and put it back together BETTER, or build a model and customize it (Ford-olet)??? I have a customer that has a Ford tow truck with a Chevy engine; better than either!!!

IBM supplied their software (with source back then) and the only thing they said was "if you mod it, we do not support it"...

Goofie....

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, lol "it makes no sense"...that's really the Chewbacca defense like in Southpark *g*.

It does make sense, to show if Microsoft is only dropping support on older systems that would still run.

Maybe "Changing windows version with regedit" using Orca could help?

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...&pid=568281

@NoNameNeeded Heast euda, were just making fun!

Edited by winxpi

Hmmm .....

@awergh,

Thanks for the earlier tip ... I tried IE6 with ie5wzd and noticed that the installation are kinda different ... I've been looking into ie6 setup process on win98 and ms obfuscate many of the setup process ... I don't have the time or luxury to look into everyting so I thought I'd make a quick version hack onto ie6wzd ...

I patched the original ie6wzd to bypass version check and used it to install ie6 on win95 ... The initial setup installation went smoothly ... (and the installation feels somewhat different) but upon reboot there were several unloadable/unregistered dlls ... I think I may have messed up the version check somewhere ... I think that some registration entries were not installed correctly ... Perhaps I'll try again later ...

Well, I had fun doing it ... its been quite a while since I snoop into ms binary ...

Rgds