How many Leave Computer on All the Time?

popeye

Yep, sure does......Get yourself a repair book or detailed book about PC hardware. This is very true. You do so much more damage to your PC by turning it off and on then just leaving it on for ahwile.

-XPerties

Mine's on 24/7 because i have a ftp server (which is always on tho) and i dl and upload allot of s*** during the nights...

I have a p450 slot 1 with one of them **** boxes around it its the best i could get then the time, but it has a problem with heat i have 2 fans pointing to the processor and another one just to keep it cool around then i have 2 more to cool my SCSI hardrive which gets so hot i cant even touch it. And i removed the case off it, well atleast the sides and top, else it gets to hot. No my CPU temp is usually around 36c (100F).

:)

just let that puppy run all day and all night, shut it down once or twice a year, or maybe for upgrades. Its all about the wattage baby.

Big Booger

As far as the guy with the heat problems, I'd say go with a peltier, water cooling all the way. Screw the fans, and if you have to go with fans, stick with thermaltake, very nice. I sit my Comp near the AC duct in summer, and near the window in winter, keeps the temp down.

How on earth do you people sleep with a modern computer in the same room? I've tried it but with three fans my computer sounds like an adrenalized vaccuum cleaner!

Ear plugs can't even compensate and since I am in a one bedroom apartment I have nowhere to move my computer to. I guess I'll have to continue the damage caused by switching on and off...

:WTF?:

just a note for you guys running 24/7:

turning off your monitor constantly reduces its liftime, just let it go to sleep.

but be carefull, keep your monitor clean from dust, my old monitor burned down when too much dust got in through vent holes. thank god i was at home at the time :)

Maybe. But if that was entirely true, I wouldn't be using my Sony Trinitron multiscan 15sf daily. A long since discontinued product (bought it in 1995) and have been using it probably daily for almost 7 years. I turn it off nightly, and hasn't ever given me any problems.

One thing is there are few monitors that are as pleasing on my eyes as that one. Sure it's time for a new one, but there is definatly no sense of urgency :)

lcd screen = lower voltage - less expansion and contraction.

smaller vents - less surrface area to collect dust. i rest my case m'lud :)

STeel.. jeez you where lucky, i expect the comp is sat on a desk too which would no doubt burn easily.. your whole house would be gone ::eek:

heh... water cooled monitors anyone? lol

lcd screen = lower voltage - less expansion and contraction.

smaller vents - less surrface area to collect dust. i rest my case m'lud :)[/quote:236008060a]

I would have to go with FthrJACK, once u see the quality that these screens give, man u will be amazed!!!!:cool:

if ur got the bucks, its a definate buy