How many Leave Computer on All the Time?

popeye

I do 99.9% time my PC is on. Now if you Overclock your PC then you should have a good amount of air flow to keep it cool. Not to mention its alwasy nice to add a fan or two to the case to keep a good air flow. Just for your info its actually worse on a PC by turning it off and on all the time.

-XPerties

[b:f38d5eedf5]prnstar[/b:f38d5eedf5] - oh oh oh you run a server? FTP? Anything good? lol

[b:f38d5eedf5]popeye[/b:f38d5eedf5] - also forgot to mention that sometimes after you PC had been on for ahwile it can eat of ram with non runing apps or your resources get all jumbled up. I also reboot maybe once a day if Im not uploading.

-XPerties

My PC is also left on 24/7, and I never shut it down unless there's a thunderstorm (mostly in the hot summer). I do a reboot on my win2k OS every week or so for software updates.

You'll do more harm to your PC if you keep shutting down and switching on your PC every single day. Just tell Windows to put your [b:ac99fb82a7]Monitor[/b:ac99fb82a7] on standby if its not in use for 5-10 mins. That uses up a lot of power anyway. Don't bother with the other power saving features (shutting down hard drives is risky, and standby mode sometimes never recovers)

turning it off and then turning it on when cold is actualy bad for it, leaving it on, or leaving it in standby is the best bet.

as you turn it on from a cold startup, the metal parts expand and thats pretty traumatic for a machine such as a computer, leave it on! :)

I guess everyone here who doesn't turn off their PC's are running Windows XP? [/quote:2aedccbcc1]

Doesn't make a difference what OS we run. I used to have win98 on, still left my pc on all the time. (please note there is a difference between rebooting and turning off the PC)

I agree with AaronXP - I have had 3 computers on my home network on 24/7 (except for needed reboots for updates or Windows 'issues') ever since I got high-speed internet access 3 years ago. The OSes have included Win98SE, Win2K, and now XP. I will add that XP seems to require the fewest reboots due to resource issues, but still should be given a breath of fresh air now and then.

LS

On my Linux server:

3:27pm up 8 days, 13:16, 9 users, load average: 0.08, 0.10, 0.07

And my Linux firewall:

3:27pm up 33 days, 15:56, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

The record for that machine being 49 days. Reached it twice. This time I'll probably surpass it so long as I dont have to upgrade the kernel...

Ahhh, Linux. Where only a kernel upgrade requires a reboot. Unlike Windows where a friggin windows media player patch requires a reboot. :)

[b:c7d304aa37]

turning it off and then turning it on when cold is actualy bad for it, leaving it on, or leaving it in standby is the best bet. [/quote:c7d304aa37] [/b:c7d304aa37] [i:c7d304aa37]Originally posted by FthrJACK[/i:c7d304aa37]

I actually heard that didnt know if it was true or not