Vista is another outstanding flop !

GTO

Apparently if Vista suck's on your PC then you apparently have a piece of crap computer and it simply don't run good.

You seem to be a hardware manufacturer or an affiliate of one :P

What I find most disturbing is the rate at which software efficiency is decreasing, and Vista is a perfect example of such a decline.

Software efficiency does seem to be decreasing, but that does NOT mean that POS Windows 98/ME are more efficient than Windows 2000/XP. What it means is that Windows Vista is more innefficient than Windows XP.

POS Windows 98/ME are much more inefficient, lower quality, much less capable than Linux, WIndows NT flavors, and OS/2 WARP. That is a fact!!!

Nobody build a super h/w without supporting s/w

the flow is that first some mighty s/w is released then h/w run run it made

when first XP came in 2001 the avg size of RAM was 128MB

and XP required more, so it be..

and now vista require more what currently used

so like XP the h/w gonna to be big to fit the s/w

I tried Vista beta 2 and I have to say I don't like it at all. It just doesn't feel right.

I know its only beta, however, I've been using XP since before it was beta and I've always liked it. When XP became beta 2 I felt happy enough to use it as my main OS. I even bought XP as soon as it came out. I doubt I'll ever feel that way about Vista.

I'll be forced into buying Vista though because games will eventually require DirectX 10

For one thing, I find the new networks stack amazing. I usually get plenty of trouble when using wifi in XP (it will disconnect for no reason, timeout - whatever!), but in Vista I can honestly say it's never cut off from the network.

They sold you a broken OS and you're willing to shell out more $$$ for another one? They shoud've fixed it in the first place!

GL

Gosh, reading stuff that has Link21 stuff in it is fun! Seems like someone on a mission! (Obsession?)

Okay, I've got my own obsessions so I won't critisize. Plus it's real fun to read. I can also see the annoyance factor for folks who are interested in discussing something that could be useful to all and getting interrupted by this or that OS s--king or what have you. Hey, I'm a Libra so I've got love for all.

I thought I'd chime in regarding compatibility questions such as running older Windows or MS-DOS stuff. There's really no fear. Okay, I suppose with Vista we'll need to say goodbye to running games through vdmsound and such. Unless of course someone already owns a copy of XP and can install it though either VMWare or the free VirtualPC.

But that's also not a big deal since there is Dosbox, which with the speedy processors we have now and in the future will be able to run just about any old Dos game, even the one's we currently need vdmsound for. That thing's getting better and better.

Hardware manufacturers will figure out Vista's ways and slowly but surely, in most cases, release updates to make their stuff run on it. Gamers will get drivers and patch's that'll make most of their games run fine.

Software makers will be designing stuff for Vista and workarounds will be constantly discovered for making older versions of things run. This happens with every new OS release.

Vista's performance gets better and bugs are fixed with every new build. At this point it's no flop. The thing runs pretty well for me and seems nearly done. Of course there are still things not fully functional. WMP 11 gets a new fix with each beta build. DVD playback on it seems to turn up a different problem when they fix an old one. Like, first DRM errors prevented copy protected movies from playing buy non copy protected ones did. Now they all play but there is no audio. And it's not the soundcard since PowerDVD plays them all fine. IE 7+ needs to be designed so that having a different browser as default doesn't break its own Favorites section. But it really works okay when it's the only browser. So they have a bug. That's why it's still beta. Etc, etc.

It's not production ready yet, but it's getting there. And we'll be using it along with many using older operating systems once it works fine and they'll be the religious zealots devoted to their favorites just like always.

Apparently if Vista suck's on your PC then you apparently have a piece of crap computer and it simply don't run good.

You seem to be a hardware manufacturer or an affiliate of one :P

What I find most disturbing is the rate at which software efficiency is decreasing, and Vista is a perfect example of such a decline.

Software efficiency does seem to be decreasing, but that does NOT mean that POS Windows 98/ME are more efficient than Windows 2000/XP. What it means is that Windows Vista is more innefficient than Windows XP.

POS Windows 98/ME are much more inefficient, lower quality, much less capable than Linux, WIndows NT flavors, and OS/2 WARP. That is a fact!!!

We're not comparing 9x to 2K/XP, we're comparing 2K/XP to Vista. You're in the wrong thread :lol:

people will always whine. I for one hated XP when it came out. It crashed all the time for me, none of my drivers worked and it was overall just a junky OS. I went back to 98

When SP1 came out, I took the lunge and formatted my drive (removed 98) and moved to XP again. These problems were fixed, and the OS was good, stable, and most my hardware worked with it.

Chances are MS fixed these problems before SP1 came out, but i didn't use it, so I don't know.

My point here is that there is always a transition stage where things just won't work. Accept the fact and move on.

Right now Vista is in BETA. Don't whine when betas don't work, send a report, make suggestions, do SOMETHING to MAKE it work! Thats what beta is about, trying to make it work and make a stable release. Let's try and avoid the problems of XP when it came out and have this OS be stable and working out of the box. The way we do this is by HELPING MS when we beta test and send them reports on whats not working.

I despise Vista in it's current state...

I have a Tascam US-224. Worked fine in 98SE, worked fine in 2000, works fine in XP.

When the drivers are installed in Vista it refuses to accept it's a multimedia device and refuses to put any sound through it.

Vista and it's UAA architecture has now put my system out of date. I highly doubt Tascam will be releasing new drivers for this (no longer supported) so to have sound in Vista I will have to *downgrade* my soundcard, losing my control over Cubase.

To be fair I haven't had the best of times with Linux with it either, but it was easier to set up than this steaming pile of muck.

Bring on the next beta...

o m f g ....

and vista should also run on Intel DX66 with 32meggs of ram and a 100megs harddrive ....

do you want vista in 5.1/4 inc disks ?????

or on comadore-like cassete-tapes?????

:zzz:

Edited by -I-

Without any uesr programs, Vista used 225 MB of ram, and XP used 94 MB.

It will take alot of ram to simulte a network environment under longhorn + vista... I should have gotten 4 GB of ram.

You forgot the Atari 2600 game cartridges :P

jd

it is because vista boots into windows PE 2.0, it is an enclosed vista install on a CD or DVD, need that much ram to run everything (everything sits in ram)

wow... i can't believe all of these people. if you hate microsoft that bad then don't use their products. it would be like me saying that i can't stand mcdonalds and then continuing to go there to eat.

if you think the build of vista that you have installed runs like sh** then uninstall it and go back to whatever os you DO like. leave the testing of vista up to the people who care about reporting bugs and makeing it better.