Vista is another outstanding flop !

GTO

fizban2 I have filled bug reports and there reply was could not reprouce then they said to try the new build of Vista that was out. What funny about all this is it was filed on the newest build 5472.

Other things that I do not find so simple

1:\ The new spot for the run box.

2:\ Display setting I find XP far easier to use

Edited by gunsmokingman

I have not installed vista yet as not sure if I want to after reading all this. I do agree with fizban and gsm though that if there's problems they need to be documented. Just havin a B**CH session on a board ain't going to resolve the problems, as Billy Boy and Micros*&T don't care. They are running for the guess what "Bottom Line". Vista if ALL the bugs and problems were resolved would probly take another 2 years before releasing a STABLE platform. By than MS would be losing money. So thier way of thought has always been let's dump it to the public and we'll patch it from there. It has happened with every OS system they have developed. Yes I use MS products 98% of the time only because of work environment. I think it really might be a wise idea to put a list of problems in a sticky and ONLY problems can be documented there. Track this beast known as vista and see if MS will do anything, probly not. But then we would have all problems from the people who are testing it and it would be well documented. Shall we create a poll for how many weeks from the release of vista until the first patch?? :D:D

I think in my opinion the best OS ever designed was the are you ready for this "Amiga OS". It was NOT bloat ware and was REALLY hard to break things. :thumbup:thumbup

And yes I still have my original C=64 too :P Along with my 2 A-500, 1 A-1000, and 3 A-2000 machines.

Just my .02¢

jd

Edited by 03GrandAmGT

Wow. Don't know if I've ever read a thread with so much FUD in (and whining) it before. I can only 100% agree with Albuquerque.

Wow. 100% wrong and pointless. Win XP doesn't have any more DRM than 2k does. WMP does support DRM'ed WMV files, just like it does on 2k. That's the *ONLY* DRM in XP anywhere, so strop spreading that kind of FUD, this isn't slashdot... Yes, XP was based on 2k, which was in turn based on NT4, etc. By what you say, seemingly every OS should be built from scratch or it sucks, so 2k sucks too, and perhaps the same goes for every linux kernel too... That's an overly tired argument.

First off, I'm not 100 percent wrong. Also, this isn't FUD. Windows XP has DRM that restricts the number of hardware changes.

Deactivation because I changed the hardware is DRM, because it's about Microsoft making people cough up more money like money grows on trees! :realmad:

fizban2 I have filled bug reports and there reply was could not reprouce then they said to try the new build of Vista that was out. What funny about all this is it was filed on the newest build 5472.

1. "winkey+r"

2. There is a way to show the 'classic panel' i think its an advanced button somewhere. I found it when I was trying to disable cleartype. :)

The FLOP does not lie in Microsoft nor Bill Gates.

The FLOP lies int he User(s) or the Programmer(s) (the so called new generation, and the un reported errors users choose not to submit.

ok... window lover...

maybe if they don't charge us 600$ for vista ultimate I'll submit reported errors.

Here are some of my simple observations on Vista

1:\ They say it will be easier to use, I have yet seen anything that has made it more simple to use.

Example

Maybe because you have been using XP for so many years. Any different OS takes learning curve.

My only hope is Vista, Longhorn isn't "too different" from XP and Server 2003. And it would be made possible to interoperate with older system.

I think in my opinion the best OS ever designed was the are you ready for this "Amiga OS". It was NOT bloat ware and was REALLY hard to break things. :thumbup:thumbup

They kind of have to. Bloating is a way of Microsoft saying we work alot on the new feature, give us money now.

Again through 3 pages of comments i have not seen any specific issues with vista just generalized complaints about a beta or an incompatability with a specific software. from that point we can either prove it is a problem or we debunk the myth.

It's like all those Vista promotion site saying blah blah blah, more secure, blah blah blah, easier to use, blah blah blah...

Without saying exactly what is better.

well the scary thing about Vista is yes it is currently rubbish, and yes it is beta software, but it is supposed to be in stores in just a few months! I really dont see how Microsoft can fix all of its problems in this short period of time. Also I just dont see any compelling reason to 'upgrade' to vista. OSX looks better everyday. The only hope I have for MS is they're intentionally making these betas crap so people cannot use them for work and have to buy the final product, but I doubt that is true and MS is probably in a lot of trouble.

I am of the same opinion as well. Vista is going to be a pile of rubbish. Who in their right mind would upgrade to Vista?

I have chosen to remain neutral in this MSFN (Windows Vista) Civil War. As i see it not being productive or is it in the best intrest in the operations of this forum group. So i have edited my post. As some of you might assume that i removed it in some form of defeat. View it as you wish, but i know that this heated debate is not helping anyone.

It seams that everyone has forgotten what part of this group does. Helping exisiting and new members in solving their software/hardware difficulties.

I have chosen to remain neutral in this MSFN (Windows Vista) Civil War. As i see it not being productive or is it in the best intrest in the operations of this forum group.

That's what I felt too.

For those who say Vista is rubbish, they never say what is. And those in favor of Vista, they never say what is good about it too.

Vista is just an OS. I dont' like Microsoft for it's OS, I like Microsoft product because every vendor build their product around it.

Every hardware I bought it supply Window driver but not linux driver. Even if I lost my driver CD, all I need to is click on my device icon and have Vista search it for me.

If not because everyone of my game works on XP, I already switched to linux already. And might I mention Half Life2 only works on Vista and not XP.

Also I just dont see any compelling reason to 'upgrade' to vista. OSX looks better everyday.

You can't get OSX to run on standard PC...

Even if you can, you'll get into hardware issue, TPM and EFI...

Apple starts to support x86 CPU not because they want to sell it's OS, it's because they have problem with its original supplier.

And very unlikely Apple will want to release OSX to the PC market. Else, they can't overcharge their overpriced MAC computer.

Apparently if Vista suck's on your PC then you apparently have a piece of crap computer and it simply don't run good.
You seem to be a hardware manufacturer or an affiliate of one :P

What I find most disturbing is the rate at which software efficiency is decreasing, and Vista is a perfect example of such a decline.

Amiga OS 4.0 > all ;)

They say Vista is more secure than XP. For the moment, yeh might be, but what is the thing in year or 2?

Vista is so large by filesize, that i fear it will have holes in, a lot of them. More s***, harder to look trough?

Or do we have to use all integrated Firewall & security crap so online stuff wont work, and getting LAN gaming more annoying? One feature what i hate to miss is IPX/SPX, and no, they don't have that in. what happends to all older RTS games? mby just need to dualboot with XP then.

Been using Vista builds from since 4047, and i have so much Vista/Longhorn CD's already that i don't know what to do with them lol. Every build has been slightly better then older (well ok, 4047 had best features, the new sidebar in the new builds is useless and only candy atm). The problem in recent builds is that there is nothing anymore to upgrade for, if you cut out the smooth 3d-desktop & direct X 10.

What more compared to XP? It still has same mouse problems, is more resource hog and old combatibility is getting s***tier (why they can't make a simple dos & win9x emulators then, if they can't include it inside the OS). In Vista it makes me feel nice when i just use only Internet browsers, mIRC or other simple because its new and smooth. Shame there is always a reasons to change back to XP, when considering its the most Buggiest Windows ever made (and has been p***ing me off for 5+ years.

For me, this windows is the same as moving from Windows 98 to ME, there is really nothing more than the look (and more p***ing way to hide advanced features, altough i have gotten used to it now). I hope that it will have less flaws than ME had tough... They say always that they start from scratch, why ffs there is still Windows 9x iconsets inside the systemfiles then?

Probably, we will see some real difference when MS drops the "Windows" out, mby we will see "Doors" next :D

1. "winkey+r"

2. There is a way to show the 'classic panel' i think its an advanced button somewhere. I found it when I was trying to disable cleartype. :)

1. Just go to the Start menu properties, and Customize it. Make sure "Run command" is checked from the list. The bottom menu is just quick search, like in the explorers top right corner. :)

Edited by Kankipappa

There definately is the possibility that with it being larger, naturally there will probably be more security holes. There is actually more to Vista than DX10 and it looks prettier. For one thing, I find the new networks stack amazing. I usually get plenty of trouble when using wifi in XP (it will disconnect for no reason, timeout - whatever!), but in Vista I can honestly say it's never cut off from the network. The only problem I do have is when the ADSL line screws up and the modem needs to make another connection.

As for Vista being a resource hog, I have to disagree. It is a NEW OS (AND still in Beta!). Remember when XP FIRST came out? Lets say we wait 3 years for hardware to improve. Only then can we make real comparisons to XP as it is now.

Just looks at the specs in my sig. I cannot afford a quick system, and tbh, I don't see the need in one. I don't game on PCs, I don't do CPU intense apps non-stop. BUT - Vista DOES run almost as quick as XP on it. Once the bootup has taken place (best part of 90secs atm) its fine.

@Kankipappa: I think you mean 4074. I agree though - that probably is my favourite build.