DaveXP

Which One  

487 members have voted

1. 1. Which One

• Windows XP Pro
    • Windows Sever 2003
    • Other

• 3 weeks later...

W2k3. Because its a bit more stable and a bit more faster than XP - faster meaning like as if you've just upgraded to a faster processor. if youre' having driver problems I suspect drivers for XP also work on w2k3. DirectX does work - check out the guide from MSFN. I found one or two Win95 don't work though but that's not a huge problem.

I used XP Pro since it came out and I never had a major problem with it. Once you set it correctly, apply the important patches/updates and tweak a few things here and there; you should have no problems with it. Maybe I was lucky, but that's my story. Anyway, I started used Server 2K3 about 2 months ago and I love it. It runs super smooth and is faster than XP Pro. Why did I changed? Because I wanted to see if it was as good, fast and smooth as others were saying. The MSFN guide gave me the small push I needed to make the change.:)

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

If you want to use your computer as desktop, then Windows 2000 Professional and Windows XP Professional would be better for you.

If you want to use your computer as server, then Windows 2000 Server and Windows 2003 Server would be better for you.

Properly converted to a workstation using the MSFN guide and then tweaked as you would XP, Server 2003 is the better choice. The whole SP1 issue is not a problem as Server 2003 already comes with many of the XP problems fixed. Unlike what many people have said here, Server 2k3 does not have severe compatibility issues. Most XP/2K drivers are sufficient for Server 2k3. The only problem I've encountered is that Logitech Mouseware drivers don't yet support Server 2k3, but everything still works fine.

If the usage is as a desktop, XP Pro when properly tweaked will run faster than WS2k3. Also, svr2k3 does not have all the additional (consumer, eye-candy, etc.) features that XP has. As far as stability/security go, the release of SP2 should put XP on par/better than svr2k3.

prathapml wrote:

"As far as stability/security go, the release of SP2 should put XP on par/better than svr2k3."

yeah thats right for 3-4 months!!! but this year they will release SP1 for Server 2003 and it is the same as xp sp2 or better!!! :)

• 3 weeks later...
Properly converted to a workstation using the MSFN guide and then tweaked as you would XP, Server 2003 is the better choice. The whole SP1 issue is not a problem as Server 2003 already comes with many of the XP problems fixed.

:) I am completely in agreement, and win2k3 is compatible completely whit any drivers and games too. So 2k3 is the perfect choice 4 me. I love it :rolleyes: