Windows Vista Support

3aces

We don't know if the install method used in the Vista betas will be the same installer used in the final. We don't know if the files will be stored the same way. Nuhi could spend plenty of time developing an nLite for Vista that doesn't even work with the final product.

And honestly, I don't see many good reasons to upgrade to Vista when you can just drop the Vista Transformation Pack on XP.

I ran the latest Vista beta for a day before dropping it. It ran HORRIBLY slow on my brand new Turion laptop. Some of the features sound nice, and it looks nice, but it really is a beast.

enderandrew, I thought so too then they said that DX10 will be Vista only!

Seems like a strike below the belt doesn't it.

For me DX means multimedia and rarely games...it will probably pass a year or two until it's a must.

I doubt many companies will develop games for DX10 for a little while, because it means forcing the players to buy Vista and new video cards.

And despite the features of DX10, how well can the game be expected to run if Vista is slowing your gaming rig to a crawl?

MicrowinX has the feature of dropping the shell from memory to enter a gaming mode. You can effectively do the same thing in Linux by creating a session with no X or KDE/Gnome that just launches the game.

I've never understood while Windows doesn't do a similiar "game mode".

Oh well.

They promised something similiar in Vista, it should stop unneeded services and boost priority, something like that but it is (will be) there.

Also they are aiming on faster hardware. This is same as win2k->XP->sp2 story, it will never end, at least not until we stop dancing or you cure me from geekitis :)

Jumping from Win 3.1 to 95 meant taxing your hardware. The same really was true of NT, and jumping from 98 to 2000. However, I've seen XP actually perform better than 2000 on the same hardware when properly configured. For gamers, XP really is the OS to run.

Conceptually I think Vista has done some things right, such as rewriting the network stack from the ground up on IPV6 with backwards compatibility for IPV4.

The average consumer will get Vista with their PC purchase, and be motivated to go after even faster PC hardware to support Vista.

However, I think the smart consumer will hold off. Aero really isn't any better than what is available on KDE and Gnome today between compiz and GXL/AIGLX. WinFS got dumped. All that new code just means more bugs and more exploits to be found.

And how many XP apps will break on Vista? Some at the very least. It happens with every new release.

Because you will eventually upgrade your hardware and Vista will be better at exploiting the new features you'll get the same experience as going from 2k to Xp on your present hardware.

Just imagine 3d accelerated GUI with dual core CPU support, and majority of gamers will have that soon. I don't see them using KDE.

**** I sound like MS propaganda but basically I don't like what they do either.

hy there. just wanted to drop a short line...

i've been using my custom xp-nlite for several years now (thanks A LOT for making nlite!!!) and now tested out vista beta 2.

i'm not sure what to say, the first thing i did was turn off all those new "security features" that pop up every 2nd click you do, also some more new things that nobody needs (e.g. the gadget list). it might be a good os at the core level, and the aero interface looks interesting but i'm not sure if such a thing is really needed?

anyway i'm not happy with all the useless junk beeing installed (like xp) and since there's no nlite for vista yet i'll drop it.

keep up the good work, byebye!

it sounds like many of you agrea that the vista core os might be oke, but the many bells and wistles are a pain.

that why iv already chosen my vista flavor about 9 (or so) months befor its actualy in shop....

its home basice x64 for me, and media center you aks?? ow well il just have to stick with MediaPortal

so realy no earo for me..

• 2 weeks later...

I.would.not.install.vista.until.nlite.can.slim.it.

There's so much bloat installed w/vista. Almost 2 out of the 3gb of a 32bit disc is usless services. If you open services.msc on installing vista, there are 20 diff. services running. And I have to go thru 5 security prompts to launch a program!

• 1 month later...

hello, i'm back ;=)

are there any plans for vista support in nlite? or maybe some pre-alpha0.0001 version to test?

i've installed RC1 yesterday and i would really like it, when 95% of all the things could be removed.

bye...