Athlon or Intel?

roger04

184 members have voted

1. 1. Athlon or Intel?

• Intel Pentium 4
    • AMD Anthlon XP

So AMD Anthlon XP is better?

Depends....

There are several different points to what makes each better than others.

Price: AMD

Temperatures: Intel

Performance: Some say intel some say AMD.

I have owned both and do not have any complaints about any of them. Altho I like my pc to run cool, so I stick with Intel, but for your best bang for the buck AMD wins that one.

So AMD Anthlon XP is better?

Depends....

There are several different points to what makes each better than others.

Price: AMD

Temperatures: Intel

Performance: Some say intel some say AMD.

I have owned both and do not have any complaints about any of them. Altho I like my pc to run cool, so I stick with Intel, but for your best bang for the buck AMD wins that one.

lies lies lies...AMD is better performance :) if ur planning 2 get the best'st of best chip out id get a intel but if u wana get a older model like a 2.5GHZ id get the AMD bcuz the performance can b a 200mhz difference my 1.0ghz AMD runs like a 1.4 pentium 4 :D:rolleyes::D but yea chips heat up quickly

Got an 800MHz Intel P3, AMD Athlon 1.4GHz, no case fans in either machine and no problems with the processor's temps.

My next machine is going to be an Intel P4 though, the thermal sensor on the processor impressed me as it underclocks the MHz if it gets too hot. Should last for a long time :)

Same here like Aaron. One of my PCs is a dual P3 800 and I do not use a any case fans at all. None of Pentium PCs have a case fan as a matter of fact. My son uses a Athlon 1.7 with two case fans and his case is similar to my dual CPU system. Go figure.

XPerties pretty much summed it all up. Take it from a guy that has done it all :)

I am hooked on the Pentium 533 FSB myself.

i prefer athlon myself but i have used both and i do not mind intel. but intel is too exspensive for me and i have had no problems with all of the amd chips i have used. so it really depends on what YOU want. if you want to spend a small fortune on a chine go intel if not go amd. and about the fan thing w/ intel i know ofseveral machine running p4 chips and you better have a fan in them or they are going to overheat , and fry.

I recommend finding out the costs of both, realizing that real-world, everyday user performance between an AthlonXP 2800+ and a P4 2.8 GHz aren't exactly phenomenal.

If you like overclocking, the Barton-core Athlons are very overclockable, and so are the newer P4s.

If money is not an issue with you, and you want the absolute fastest processor available, or if you're one of those who will pay, for example, $200 more for a 12% gain in performance, buy the fastest Pentium you can find. Otherwise, I recommend Athlons.

I recommend finding out the costs of both, realizing that real-world, everyday user performance between an AthlonXP 2800+ and a P4 2.8 GHz aren't exactly phenomenal.

If you like overclocking, the Barton-core Athlons are very overclockable, and so are the newer P4s.

If money is not an issue with you, and you want the absolute fastest processor available, or if you're one of those who will pay, for example, $200 more for a 12% gain in performance, buy the fastest Pentium you can find.  Otherwise, I recommend Athlons.

First of all a amd athlon 2.8GHZXP is really a 2.6GHZ but just runs like a 2.8GHZ pentium So if u wana get eather a 2.5 pentium or a AMD AMD kicks a** all the way except for the cooling problem but u can fix that of course with fans or water cooling :)