Need testers for 4.4rc1

After a while of work, I now came to the for my purposes modified WPI.cmd, which I would declare as usable. I definitely wanted to avoid problems with UNC paths, cause I ran into problems with some installers ( even with firefox ).

So the cmd detects, if it is called with UNC path, then connects the last free drive letter and sets the environment variables %wpipath% and %installdir% appropriate. There is no check implemented, if a drive letter is free, cause in real life, I nearly never saw a system with no drive letter free ( I saw tthis for the first time in my life, when I tested the batch, cause the drive is disconnected, after next restart ).

To use the %installdir% in the config.js, one would have to modify the generate.js in an adequate way. So hers's the cmd

@ECHO OFF
REM Set wpipath to the path where this batch is located
SET "wpipath=%~dp0"

REM If wpipath is a UNC path, connect the share to the last free drive letter and set wpipath appropriate
IF "%~d0" EQU "\\" (
REM Get the name of the share, assuming that it is not longer than 50 characters
FOR /F "tokens=1,2* delims=\" %%i IN ('ECHO %~dp0') DO (
IF NOT %%k!==! (
call :setnewpath \\%%i\%%j "%%k"
) ELSE (
call :setnewpath \\%%i\%%j
)
)
)

REM Hide the current window
REM %wpipath%\Tools\cmdow.exe @ /hid

REM Force resolution to needed size for wpi interface.
REM %wpipath%\Tools\ResChange.exe -width=1280 -height=1024 -depth=max -refresh=max

REM Font installation - the smooth and customizable way.
REM start /wait %wpipath%\Tools\Fonts\FontInstaller.exe

REM Special registry tweak needed.
regedit /s %wpipath%\Common\WPI.reg

REM Set the environment variable for the directory of the setup files
SET installdir=%wpipath%Install\

REM Start WPI and wait for it to end.
%wpipath%\WPI.hta

REM Undo registry tweak.
regedit /s %wpipath%\Common\Undo.reg

REM Clean up script.
REM %drive%\$OEM$\CleanUp.cmd

REM Rebooting the sytem to finalize the installation process.
REM shutdown.exe -r -f -t 60 -c "To finish installations WPI will now reboot in 60 sec..."

EXIT

:setnewpath
FOR /F "TOKENS=2" %%i IN ('NET USE * %1 /PERSISTENT:NO ^|FIND "Drive"') DO (SET wpipath=%%i\%2)
GOTO :EOF

You didn't define EOF. Not that it matters ... just wanted to clarify that. I'd suggest taking that line out all together, since you don't actually want the script to exit before it begins running WPI.

can somebody pls tell me what's the right switch in winnt.sif to call wpi.exe?....

here's the structure of my unattended cd/dvd:

$oem$

I386

Software

wpi

and here's my config.js

pn=1;

prog[pn]=['.NET FrameWork 2']

picw[pn]=['128']

pich[pn]=['128']

desc[pn]=['dotnetframework2']

textl[pn]=['Bottom']

texti[pn]=['0']

ordr[pn]=[997]

cmd1[pn]=['%wpipath%\\software\\Application\\dotnet\\dotnet2.exe']

dflt[pn]=['yes']

forc[pn]=['yes']

gcond[pn]=['FileExists(\'%programfiles%\\\')']

configs[pn]=['yes']

cat[pn]=['Utilities']

i've tried to put this in my winnt.sif:

%systemdrive%\wpi\wpi.exe

but it's not working...error's occured and it sez...

//C:\wpi\wpi.exe

windows cannot find '\\C:\wpi\wpi.exe' make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the start button, and then click search...

could you please tell me were did i go wrong? or w/c file to edit/ad

thanks...

btw

I'm using wpi 4.4rc1 with the modified scripts and exe by sir Lawrenca and installing all my softwares via cd/dvd

Edited by treblA

Hello

found one BIG bug:

Ktool + WPI cannot manage .msi installers!!!

Ive tried with and without parameters- the same, msi installers wont open. .exe make no problems. In the original ktoll version also were problems with msi, heres the msfn thread: Ktool thread.

Seems like you have to write in the ktool.ini file for .msi something like

MSI = file.msi" /qb REBOOT=Suppress

and for .exe like this:

RunWait = Office\OpenOffice\setup.exe

And now what genarate.js writes to ktool.ini in my system32:

[ACD See 7]

Context = Office

Description = Installiere Programm

RunWait = C:\EasyBoot\disk1\WPI\install\ACDSee7\ACDSee7.msi /passive

RunWait = C:\EasyBoot\disk1\WPI\install\ACDSee7\LMClient.exe

you see thats the wrong command for .msi

Im very bad in Autoit, so i cant imagine how to solve - but maybe somebody else?

Edited by wixfigura

I can't get my Multiset installations to launch, either. It has to do with kTool because if I put back the original RunOnceEx code they will work.

I like the idea of kTool but it sounds like more problems are arising weekly. Ugh.....

Try to modify generate.js in accordance with the code in this post

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&sho...ndpost&p=464314

...maybe we modify overall and require user to add in the "MSI=","RunWait=", "REG=", "DOS=", "REBOOT", etc.

Will be more flexible on different types of installs and also add "REBOOT" and "WaitProcess" (would take the place of Sleep commands) which are current items being asked for in the threads...

the config.js cmd lines would have to look like this:

cmd1[pn]=['RunWait=%cdrom%\\WPI\\Install\\dotnetfx2.exe']
or
cmd1[pn]=['MSI=%cdrom%\\WPI\\Install\\cstools.msi /qn']
or
cmd1[pn]=['DOS=copy d:\file.txt c:\file.txt']
or
cmd1[pn]=['REG=tweak2.reg']

• 2 weeks later...
Try to modify generate.js in accordance with the code in this post

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&sho...ndpost&p=464314

...maybe we modify overall and require user to add in the "MSI=","RunWait=", "REG=", "DOS=", "REBOOT", etc.

Will be more flexible on different types of installs and also add "REBOOT" and "WaitProcess" (would take the place of Sleep commands) which are current items being asked for in the threads...

the config.js cmd lines would have to look like this:

cmd1[pn]=['RunWait=%cdrom%\\WPI\\Install\\dotnetfx2.exe']
or
cmd1[pn]=['MSI=%cdrom%\\WPI\\Install\\cstools.msi /qn']
or
cmd1[pn]=['DOS=copy d:\file.txt c:\file.txt']
or
cmd1[pn]=['REG=tweak2.reg']

isnt there a problem with this method,, like for example what if the user has more then 1 msi file to install and they are back to back,, your saying instead of having the runwait cmd use msi= ,, now does that mean the msi's wont wait for other apps to install before they start,, because thats what it seems like and if that is so, then there may be a big problem in alot of ppls installs clashing

just a thought tho,,,, sorry im not a big fan of the manual addons, i always thought wpi was to be a program for ease of use,, and simplicity,, i dont really see the simplicity in having to type in extra commands,

is there a better way to have msi files installed

• 3 weeks later...

New version of kTools included in my WPI Lite v1.2 Modified version.

See this post for details:

WPI Lite v1.2 Modified Version with new kTool

Didn't exactly get the %KTREP% function working as presented in the kTool forum...seemed to add baggage to the WPI code that is already resolving its own %WPIPATH% and needed that %KTREP% hardwired in generate.js code. Maybe another look by smarter people? Did manage to work the Quotes issues with MSI and REG Commands.

See Changelog included in download for more info, will try to put together a Help Document for those not familiar but provided a few examples inside the download to exercise the reboot options, multiple commands, Sleep, ProcessClose, etc. You would no longer have to make a call to these outside executables.

As always, please keep the comments, bugs, features inside this thread as to eliminate confusion with the real releases of WPI!!

Change:

Due to several requests, I've added download for full version with the new kTool and modified features as described above.

Download WPI Lite Modded Version Here

Download Full WPI Modded Version Here

Edited by lawrenca

cool i wil ldo the network testing i have 100 gig app server the last time i tryed this i had to go restructure the entrile drive s file names due to how the file names we spaced out i think you fixed that

for example

this is what needs to be like share Z:\<dir Name>\Setup.exe

not share z:\<dirname>\setup.exe

please keep me posted as to the builds process