Memory Questionnaire

Maleko

Different Memory Options  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Whats your memory manufacture of choice?

• Corsair
    • Crucial
    • OCZ
    • PNY
    • Geil
    • G.Skill
    • Mushkin
    • Samsung
    • Kingston
    • Other

Generic is fine as long as it comes with a warranty.

More often than not, you'll find that generic DIMMS can hold their ground in performance(including overclocking), stability, and overall quality against the pricier brand name DIMMS.

Furthermore, there's no reason this should be surprising.... after all, like gasoline, all memory comes from the same place... the only difference between "generic" and "premium" is the attention paid to it after initial fabrication.

• 2 weeks later...

More often than not, you'll find that generic DIMMS can hold their ground in performance(including overclocking), stability, and overall quality against the pricier brand name DIMMS.

Furthermore, there's no reason this should be surprising.... after all, like gasoline, all memory comes from the same place... the only difference between "generic" and "premium" is the attention paid to it after initial fabrication.

Umm. No.

First off, memory is NOT manufactured at the same places. There are MANY memory manufacturing plants and companies. In fact, there's even one here in Sherbrooke, QC, Canada that makes high-end server memory. Samsung makes it's own memory and makes memory for other brands. GB Micro make memory and there are others as well.

Generic memory is NOT performance memory. Generic memory is BUDGET memory that MAY work for a while. Comparing OCZ performance memory to Generic memory is RIDICULOUS!

@others:

My preferences are Kingston for stability and reliability. OCZ for performance.

As somewhat of a memory expert, I'm amazed and even Horrified at how many people are using refurbished ram and don't even know it. :whistle:

When a major manufacturer of ram tests a run of chips, they put the top quality chips on their own DIMMS and sell them under their own label.

Seimens, Micron and Samsung are the top dogs in the yard when it comes to High Quality RAM.

I'll use nothing else. I get a lifetime warranty on every chip I buy and almost never have to replace one.

So what do they do with the chips that don't totally fail but just fail to come up to their level of quality.

Well, they sell them to Kingston, PNY and a dozen or so other companies that take those same failed chips and mount them on their own boards. Kingston ram is about 85% failed ram.

The profit margin in selling failed chips is so high that those companies can replace a DIMM, here and there and still come out smelling like a rose.

I'm surprised that the best ram brands didn't even get put on the Poll. Well, Samsung did.

I guess folks really don't know what quality ram is all about. :whistle:

If it fits in the slot and the 'puter boots up, that's good enough, right? :lol:

Cheers

Umm. No.

First off, memory is NOT manufactured at the same places. There are MANY memory manufacturing plants and companies. In fact, there's even one here in Sherbrooke, QC, Canada that makes high-end server memory. Samsung makes it's own memory and makes memory for other brands. GB Micro make memory and there are others as well.

Generic memory is NOT performance memory. Generic memory is BUDGET memory that MAY work for a while. Comparing OCZ performance memory to Generic memory is RIDICULOUS!

@others:

My preferences are Kingston for stability and reliability. OCZ for performance.

The quality you get with generic memory seems to vary quite a bit. Some have reported on the quality being awful, while others (including me) use it with no problem and it even overclocks rather well.