[How-to] - Windows XP Gamer's Edition

Aegis

Was hoping on keeping it secret a bit longer, but Ripken's screenshot revealed it all :P. Anyway, I'm using XP Embedded to create the project. For those who don't know, XP Embedded is basically the same as vanilla XP, with the only difference being that it's componentized. This means you can choose particular components such as DirectX or IE to be added to your configuration. Of course some of you may think that it's similar to nLite, but XP Embedded offers way more control, more than the typical user may want.

And a sidenote, don't sweat too much over Ripken's rather high memory usage :P. It's still a beta and some nonessential services such as Indexing Service are included.

@spazmire11

Firefox is supported, but I'm not sure about Steam though. There is no use for nLite, as XP Embedded offers way more control. Other .NET apps will work in future betas.

Edited by Aegis

aegis theres .msi stuff you need to leave in xpe to get msi's working, ive had lots of experience in xpe myself too.

best of luck, in the project, xpe is fast.

but xp home can be too, just gotta get rid of stuff.

@Sofer

Can you please take a picture of your monitor (before and after shots)? I didn't think anyone had a monitor that supported this feature ;). The tweak is undocumented; you can search Google and Microsoft for it and you won't find it. Only way to find out such tweaks is if you (or a friend) have access to the Windows source code.

Hi there! My first post in this topic (at least I think so:) but I've been monitoring it since page 2 :>

My desktop after activating doubledpi.reg

T1_-1_1210377.JPG

3200x2400 - now I can have even a bigger mess on mz desktop then before!

PS: After changing the resolution to 3200x2400 i couldn't use atitray anymore and I had to kill it because it was using 90% of CPU Power.

My monitor is Nec MultiSync FE750+ running on 9600XT in 85 Hz. Cat 6.1

And Now for Something Completely Different

My obligatory contribution: "Wow! This project is great!"

Edited by JuiCe_pl

@Sofer

Can you please take a picture of your monitor (before and after shots)? I didn't think anyone had a monitor that supported this feature ;). The tweak is undocumented; you can search Google and Microsoft for it and you won't find it. Only way to find out such tweaks is if you (or a friend) have access to the Windows source code.

Hi there! My first post in this topic (at least I think so:) but I've been monitoring it since page 2 :>

My desktop after activating doubledpi.reg

T1_-1_1210377.JPG

3200x2400 - now I can have even a bigger mess on mz desktop then before!

PS: After changing the resolution to 3200x2400 i couldn't use atitray anymore and I had to kill it because it was using 90% of CPU Power.

My monitor is Nec MultiSync FE750+ running on 9600XT in 85 Hz. Cat 6.1

And Now for Something Completely Different

My obligatory contribution: "Wow! This project is great!"

Please use a different host, because they have a traffic limit!

dual core cpu support for nforce4 processors is now supported

we are currently trying to get the cdrom to work...

also trying to get nvidia video drivers working

i will be trying to update you guys as much as possible on what we are doing

I'd like to note that NVIDIA video drivers do work, but are currently limited to FX-generation chips and below.

like that matters to most of us :P

anyways, i dont beleive that nvidia drivers will be automatically supported, u will have to install them on your own through the device manager, i just did it and my 7800gt is working just fine.

and now another major problem, since we have not been able to get our cd drives to work, we cant play games that require a cd in the drive. and i am not able to get daemon tools or alcohol 120 working...

and now another major problem, since we have not been able to get our cd drives to work, we cant play games that require a cd in the drive. and i am not able to get daemon tools or alcohol 120 working...

Give VirtualDrive Pro a try? From Farstone Technology Inc