98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

@billyb: With the 67,568 bytes file named USBHUB20.SYS, open Windows Explorer, go to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS, highlight USBHUB20.SYS, right-click on it, select "Properties" and select the tab "Version" and in the list box below click on "Company". You'll see:

Company: VIA Technologies, INC.

And also:

Copyright: Copyright © VIA Technologies, INC. 2002-2005

Do the same procedure to the renamed 50,032 and you'll see Microsoft in both places. :)

Ha! Didn't even think of looking that way. You're right. Thanks!

Edited by billyb

As for billyb: man, the string says you got an Intel controller. That 8086 is their unmistakable brand (remember the 8086 CPU?). However, the SUBSYS section says it's being distributed by ASUSTeK (1043 seems to be their vendor ID). That particular SUBSYS combination does not appear in my database, but the main one clearly shows "USB EHCI controller by Intel Corporation". I have no idea how come the VIA driver works fine with that controller and the MS one doesn't... :wacko:

There are more things in heaven and earth... :D

@PROBLEMCHYLD: By careful editing of the appropriate .inf, using USB2VIA.inf from the VIA driver package as a guide for the list of relevant VEN&DEV entries, you can cause either of the USBHUB20s to load, without any user intervention...

If you have some free time, can you please edit the VIA inf for me?

You guys seem to know more about the USB stuff and how it works.Thank you :thumbup

OK guys, now that we stirred the pot, let me add some confusion in! :

(3x) VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller:
- SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\USBHUB.SYS 4.90.3002.1 (Microsoft Corp.)
(3x) USB Root Hub:
- SYSTEM\DRIVERS\USBHUB.SYS 5.00.2195.6689 (Microsoft Corp.)

How is this possible, to be able to have two of the same files with different versions?

Warn ""Fonts"" are not registry, open the Fonts folder to complete the update Fonts.

This should be fix once you go to safe mode to handle the USB issue. :w00t:

Is it possible to patch USBHUB20.SYS 5.0.2195.6891 so that it can load VIA controllers? :unsure:

Hello, today I tried the SP3.0 (13 March) and I noticed that connecting any USB device I get the blue screen of death.

After some testing I concluded that the problem is caused by Usbport.sys 5.00.2195.6941, replaced with version 5.00.2195.5652 everything works fine.

Thank you for your work.

Mcv'93

With me was not working properly Usbstor.sys file version 5.00.2195.6773

Helped downgrade to version 4.90.3000.1

But I have not installed U98SESP3.EXE - so I do not want to generalize.

I remember now that I did do some research and further testing with the USB problem and discovered that it was the Usbstor.sys file (v5.00.2195.6773) in the U98SESP3.EXE that "seemed" to be the problem ...

What is your chipset?

PROB, could you test the download link?

You don't need to download entirely, just look a few seconds how fast it goes.

Thanks.

Its seems to be moving faster than earlier. :thumbup Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Hello, today I tried the SP3.0 (13 March) and I noticed that connecting any USB device I get the blue screen of death.

After some testing I concluded that the problem is caused by Usbport.sys 5.00.2195.6941, replaced with version 5.00.2195.5652 everything works fine.

Thank you for your work.

Mcv'93

Attention: usbport.sys higher than 5.0.2195.5652 is know to be faily...

That confirms the latest safe USBPORT.SYS really is version 5.00.2195.5652, which is the version that should be used.

With me was not working properly Usbstor.sys file version 5.00.2195.6773

Helped downgrade to version 4.90.3000.1

But I have not installed U98SESP3.EXE - so I do not want to generalize.

Now USBSTOR.SYS version 5.00.2195.6773 works, but *requires* WDMSTUB.SYS version 5.0.0.6 for working.

This is taken care of in U98SESP3.EXE, so there is not a problem here, at least for U98SESP3.

Attention: usbport.sys higher than 5.0.2195.5652 is know to be faily...
Somebody was wrong. I don't want to point fingers. I use USBPORT.SYS 5.0.2195.6941 in U9SESP3 and I have no problems :w00t: A lot of people have downloaded the SP and this file must not be problematic.

I use USBPORT.SYS version 5.00.2195.5652, so I maybe should test the later version when I have time.

But Tihiy, as he does sometimes when he makes vague remarks, must be relaying experience gathered from the Russian forums he also participates in. And now we have a report of problems from an MSFN member. It cannot be ignored.

But it may be yet another case of hardware-dependent issues. Let's wait and see.

BTW, I understand WDMCHECK does not find any missing dependencies for USBPORT.SYS 5.0.2195.6941, is that right?

I use USBPORT.SYS version 5.00.2195.5652, so I maybe should test the later version when I have time.

But Tihiy, as he does sometimes when he makes vague remarks, must be relaying experience gathered from the Russian forums he also participates in. And now we have a report of problems from an MSFN member. It cannot be ignored.

But it may be yet another case of hardware-dependent issues. Let's wait and see.

BTW, I understand WDMCHECK does not find any missing dependencies for USBPORT.SYS 5.0.2195.6941, is that right?

You are correct Mr. :thumbup I'm always testing newer files. Just cause they work on my system doesn't mean they will work on others. Kinda like the VIA contoller issue. Hopefully I can fix it.

Well, you were right in ask about hardware, from the start. :yes:

We should wait some more, to see whether further reports come in, so then, maybe, we'll be able to find a common factor, especially if it really is hardware related, as I suspect.

BTW, I shall look into those .INFs soon. But the key is to select by VEN value (= vendor ID) VIA is VEN_1106. However, some file renaming will also be needed because we cannot have two different USBHUB20.SYSs in any single folder.

BTW, I shall look into those .INFs soon. But the key is to select by VEN value (= vendor ID) VIA is VEN_1106.

If you take care of this issue :thumbup
However, some file renaming will also be needed because we cannot have two different USBHUB20.SYSs in any single folder.

I can take care of this one :w00t:

Can you add unicows.dll to the next release? It's used by some programs such as the last version of VLC player that still runs on 9x. I think the file name stands for UNICOde Wide String.

I see you haven't read or didn't understand the Service Pack home page.

2.0 RC1:
- NEW: 1 new hot-fix.
- ADDED: Web Folders update.
- UPDATED: HTML update..
- UPDATED: UNICOWS.DLL.
- UPDATED: MS VC++ runtime files.
- FIXED: All reported problems.
- FIXED: Uninstallation problems.