98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

Actually, it does. ;) It happened because I accidentally checked "Win95 shell swap" :rolleyes:

I guess I shouldn't be installing SW in the wee hours.... :angel

Well, I have already removed the shell swap option in the final build. Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

We will soon be hosting 98sesp3.exe on the website again.

...with enhanced safety.

PROBLEMCHYLD, check your PMs for more infos, please.

Thanks Fred :thumbup

I have been testing the MDAC option and it must be installed separately. There is no work around or fix. I have done about 4 installations today. Mdac will corrupt the registry if its not installed by itself. I am done, the final version is finished. I will test some more after I eat dinner.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Problemchyld,

Just like that: Try to set a "wait" time (or delay) in the installation script.

Maybe the computer needs a rest, or need to finish a task even if this task is reportedly finished.

In DOS you can run wait.exe, a small executable which does only that.

3 independant versions here:

http://www.createwindow.com/raewebsite/rae-watx.htm

You are right Fred. I will need to add the small file plus command. I should add the Start /W Wait 4 after every option right or do I add it before?

PROB'

I'v uploaded a wait.exe where you know. ;)

I would add the wait command after an option (I mean a package) is installed and before starting the next one.

But not between each of them. Only those who looks heavy or seems to slow down the process.

I think there is a wait.exe present in more recent versions of windows but I'm not sure of that.

There are also files named sleep.exe for the same purpose.

Do not use the "ping" trick often mentioned on forums, and which consist in calling or pinging an IP address, because this method uses a lot of resources, even possibly 100% of CPU!

I suggest to echo "please wait 4 seconds..." (if applicable) so that users know what's going on.

I tried one of the WAIT programs, the results are the same. I think what I need is a program that frees up memory. When you select

all options I'm sure the memory takes a huge leak when installing mdac. All other files installs without any issues. The WAIT program did ok, but all it did was prolong the installation about an extra 85 seconds. Someone please recommend a freeware memory tool.

I put together a simple script to install multiple Windows Updates at one time. I found it was necessary to avoid having more than one running at the same time for at least some of them.

I wrote a Program called WAITFOR that will not return control back to the Script until the Executable it calls terminates. This insures that they do not overlap.

I used the Start /W Wait 15 secs and still no luck. It only happens with MDAC. But if I can't find a fix, everyone will just have to install it separately from the other options.

I see absolutely no problem with having to install MDAC separately.

Please don't delay the release of the final build just to resolve this "problem", as it's easily worked around!

:)

I used the Start /W Wait 15 secs and still no luck. It only happens with MDAC. But if I can't find a fix, everyone will just have to install it separately from the other options.

I see absolutely no problem with having to install MDAC separately.

Please don't delay the release of the final build just to resolve this "problem", as it's easily worked around!

:)

I'm not going to delay the release, that would be selfish.

Although some people might feel once they have the final version, there will no need to find a solution.

Bear in mind that a memory cleaner can be pretty slow too.

In my case it was almost faster to restart the PC than whiping the memory.

I don't know how the INF scripts work but they should wait for one process to finish before starting the next one. That would be logical. Adding a wait command adds only an extra safety against lock ups.

But with MDAC it's not a problem about that.

The most radical way would be to install MDAC between two reboots.

Bear in mind that a memory cleaner can be pretty slow too.

In my case it was almost faster to restart the PC than whiping the memory.

I don't know how the INF scripts work but they should wait for one process to finish before starting the next one. That would be logical. Adding a wait command adds only an extra safety against lock ups.

But with MDAC it's not a problem about that.

The most radical way would be to install MDAC between two reboots.

I have made notice about MDAC in the new update. You can actually install (ALL) options except MDAC without any errors.

If someone does get errors, its probably from not following instructions. Now that the Service Pack is done, I will add all the software I use to my own copy of the service pack. I really enjoyed working on this. I'm ready for a new task. Will upload new version later today.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

How much ram did you have when you got this error?

Maybe one can try to find out the ram requirement for SESP3+MDAC...

We can propose a second link to MDAC just to make sure it's not installed at the same time.

Edited by Fredledingue