98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

After installing uSP 2.1a I do encounter a problem:

When I insert CD in one of my drives and immediately open My Computer the whole system freezes (incl. mouse cursor) until the disc in detected. This also happens when I have Nero launched and insert a CD.

There is also another problem: sometimes when I remove CD from the drive, explorer 'thinks' that it is still inserted -> you can see the contents of the CD which isn't present. OR when I insert another CD I see contents of previous CD. But when I try to access anything on it I get a blue screen and system dies.

I have isolated the problem and it is related to CDVSD.VXD 4.10.2226 which is distributed with uSP.

The problem disappears when I install original CDVSD.VXD 4.10.2222.

The problem occured on 3 different computers on which I have installed uSP.

Thank you very much. I will try to reproduce it. I also should check that if there are other CDVSD.VXD versions such as 2225, 2224 etc.

I have CDVSD.VXD 4.10.2224 from KB265314.

Get it here :Download site

Hope this helps :D

weird, I don't have the problem Xeno86 is having on my next door neighbor's Win98 SE computer with cdvsd.vxd 4.10.2226 [this version is from Q274370 and the Q274370 patches are bundled inside the Intel Application Accelerator software). Xeno86 may have bad or outdated firmware for his CD drives.

I just hope his own KernelEx software didn't cause the CD problems on his Win98se machines.

Q265405 has cdvsd.vxd 4.10.2225 {KB article no longer available from MS support}

Edited by erpdude8

When I insert CD in one of my drives and immediately open My Computer the whole system freezes (incl. mouse cursor) until the disc in detected. This also happens when I have Nero launched and insert a CD.

There is also another problem: sometimes when I remove CD from the drive, explorer 'thinks' that it is still inserted -> you can see the contents of the CD which isn't present. OR when I insert another CD I see contents of previous CD. But when I try to access anything on it I get a blue screen and system dies.

I have isolated the problem and it is related to CDVSD.VXD 4.10.2226 which is distributed with uSP.

Thank you very much. I will try to reproduce it. I also should check that if there are other CDVSD.VXD versions such as 2225, 2224 etc.

weird, I don't have the problem Xeno86 is having on my next door neighbor's Win98 SE computer with cdvsd.vxd 4.10.2226 [this version is from Q274370 and the Q274370 patches are bundled inside the Intel Application Accelerator software). Xeno86 may have bad or outdated firmware for his CD drives.

Q265405 has cdvsd.vxd 4.10.2225 {KB article no longer available from MS support}

Well actually I was wondering what program has installed that buggy cdvsd.vxd 4.10.2226 on my laptop with Intel i830 chipset :rolleyes:

I don't think that my DVD drives are faulty or have outdated firmware. They are different brands, and the problem also exists on a drive I bought this year.

So as I stated before - the problem occurs on 3 different computers with different chipsets and and different drives. With 4.10.2224 it works ok so far.

I also think that it is significant (quote from Q274370):

A supported fix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem that is described in this article. Apply it only to computers that are experiencing this specific problem.
Edited by Xeno86

* Updated NDIS.VXD + PPPMAC.VXD + VIP.386 [to Q301453].

Hi, Gape! You mean Q329128, for sure! That one was really hard to get. Congratulations! :thumbup

So, now, the only one no one has ever seen is Q265528 (the famous Vnetbios.vxd 4.10.0.2223)...

Keep on the great work! Win 98 SE rules!

My wish is to be able to make a stand-alone installer package that can be run silently. If i knew how you managed to incorporate it into uSP, i will have a great chance of being able to use that knowledge to make a proper iexpress package that DOES install silently. Can you help?

Got it. It was very long time ago that I added DUN 1.4 support, so I should look my notes, and examine it again. I will provide more information soon.

As for now 4.10.2224 works ok.

Thanks, good. Maybe 2226 supports only some Intel chipsets, or it requires IAA. Any idea ? I will keep 2226 version in uSP until we have more information about this issue.

From Windows Server 2003 SP1. DO NOT USE THESE HTML HELP FILES!!!
1700 is from IE6.0SP1. But I am not sure about 1710. What is its source ? Maybe MDGx modified the version.

I modded this one, Gape. explorer.exe build 1710 is no different from 1700 except for very minor tweaks that I'll keep quiet about.

Thanks for the feedback. But very minor tweaks that you'll keep quiet about ? :wacko: So, It will not be included in uSP.

Edited by Gape

Well actually I was wondering what program has installed that buggy cdvsd.vxd 4.10.2226 on my laptop with Intel i830 chipset :rolleyes:

I don't think that my DVD drives are faulty or have outdated firmware. They are different brands, and the problem also exists on a drive I bought this year.

So as I stated before - the problem occurs on 3 different computers with different chipsets and and different drives. With 4.10.2224 it works ok so far.

I also think that it is significant (quote from Q274370):

A supported fix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem that is described in this article. Apply it only to computers that are experiencing this specific problem.

I had the same issue as described by Xeno86, and have solved it also by downgrading CDVSD.VXD to 4.10.0.2224.

Thanks a whole lot, ElectricString, you rock! :thumbup

BTW, my DVD drive is an LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4163B, and I don't use KernelEx at the moment, so it has nothing to do with this issue.

The KB265405 can still be retrieved thanks to the Internet Archive. Find it here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20010717122838/...s/q265/4/05.asp

As for the hotfix itself, it seems not to be available anywhere... but I'm willing to test it also, if any of you find it and post it here.

Changing subjects, I've updated my VIP.386 from 4.10.0.2227 to 4.10.0.2228, and it got less resource hungry, when surfing the internet. Thanks, Gape! :thumbup

Edited by dencorso

And what about 48-bit LBA patch by LLXX (http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=78592) ? Are you going to add it to uSP?

Yes, probably.

I had the same issue as described by Xeno86, and have solved it also by downgrading CDVSD.VXD to 4.10.0.2224.

As for the hotfix itself, it seems not to be available anywhere... but I'm willing to test it also, if any of you find it and post it here.

Changing subjects, I've updated my VIP.386 from 4.10.0.2227 to 4.10.0.2228, and it got less resource hungry, when surfing the internet. Thanks, Gape! :thumbup

Thanks for the feedback. Now, we know that at least 4 different computers have problems with 2226. So, I am planning to replace 2226 with 2224 in uSP.

If anybody has 2225, please post it.

Current situation of 3.0 Alpha 2

Thanks to Tihiy, sleffing, erpdude8.

* Added GDIPLUS.DLL.
* Added 2_4DATE.EXE.
* Added WIN.INI ShortDate fix.
! Added RUNHELP.CAB.
! Added "key bindings patch" for NOTEPAD.EXE.
- Added optional Windows 2000 Theme (Color Scheme and Desktop Icons).
- Uninstallation of MS Java is silently now.
x Added Q265854 (RUNPOST.BAT).
x Added 98lite Sleek support (RUNPOST.BAT).
x Update INFEX [to 0.5.1].
x Corrected SHELL.INF.
x Corrected FDISK.EXE.
x Fixed copying of SERVICES problem.
x Corrected fix of "slow down properties" problem.
x Added missing Q835732 registration lines.

What do you think to add these as optional parts into uSP ? Please share your ideas.

- Windows Media Player 6.4.07.1129 (1.5 MB).

- WinTop.

Edited by Gape

My wish is to be able to make a stand-alone installer package that can be run silently. If i knew how you managed to incorporate it into uSP, i will have a great chance of being able to use that knowledge to make a proper iexpress package that DOES install silently. Can you help?

Got it. It was very long time ago that I added DUN 1.4 support, so I should look my notes, and examine it again. I will provide more information soon.

I wanna know it too, thank you. :hello:

Wintop is a good idea!

Also you might consider adding this small program.

Info:

Makes desktop icon text background transparent.

Features:

Keeps transparency after explorer crash.

Keeps transparency after resuming from suspend.

Download:

trans.zip

Sorry, Xeno86, but your program is just no good:

- Resident [processes are expensive]

- Not using message-loop [wrong design and thus CPU usage]

- Can cause deadlocks [timered send-message]

The right design will be:

- Load into explorer.exe as DLL [injecting, or better, using ShellServiceObjectDelayLoad]

- Hook list-view and update color only when needed

I can write such tool if anybody wants.

Sorry, Xeno86, but your program is just no good:

- Resident [processes are expensive]

- Not using message-loop [wrong design and thus CPU usage]

- Can cause deadlocks [timered send-message]

The right design will be:

- Load into explorer.exe as DLL [injecting, or better, using ShellServiceObjectDelayLoad]

- Hook list-view and update color only when needed

I can write such tool if anybody wants.

You're probably right. In fact there was a similar tool installed with the polish edition of uSP. I have written an enhanced version for myself, which monitors background color changes and keeps it always transparent, because it was annoyed me that it wasn't transparent after resume from suspend. I saw that english uSP lacks such feature and thus decided to share with my program. If you want to further enhance it then I can provide the source code.

btw. Wintop says that after 3,5h it used 1 cpu sec so it isn't THAT bad :rolleyes: .

Thanks for the feedback. Now, we know that at least 4 different computers have problems with 2226. So, I am planning to replace 2226 with 2224 in uSP.

Make that 5. And thumbs up for Xeno for noticing that this file causes this problem.

Make that 5. And thumbs up for Xeno for noticing that this file causes this problem.

Make that 6. 2224 seems to have solved the same problem for me too.

wow, dencorso, you have VIP.386 version 4.10.2228? GREAT! I believe that is found in the KB329128 hotfix for Win98. I think it is now available if Win98se users can ask for it now since it wasn't available a few years ago. See my latest post on how to request hotfixes from Microsoft here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...31579&st=80

all you have to do is fill out the Microsoft Hotfix Request Form mentioned at the link from my latest post and voila, you'll instantly get a response from MS support with a "secret" link to get the hotfix and the password to extract its contents.

Gape, if you need some more Win98se hotfixes, just go to the Microsoft Hotfix Request page, fill out the required info there and MS may give them to you.