98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

As I know earlier versions of UnSP could be uninstalled with Add/Remove programs. Is this feature still available? If yes - then no backup needed, you may just uninstall UnSP.
It never was that simple...
Uninstallation needs Windows 98 SE CD-ROM. It also doesn't remove all installed files. It only reverts back half of the installed files with original 98 SE files. So, I don't recommend uninstallation of the pack, unless you are having a serious problem.
This quotation is from Gape's own uSP 2.1a page.

These updates/packages are not included in uSP3-0-beta4

BHDD31.ZIP

CNTROL98.EXE

COPY2GB.EXE

CRYPT9X.EXE

DX90C.EXE

DX9CPL.EXE

DXM9X.EXE

flash_player_active_x.exe

GRPHFLTS.EXE

HELPHLP.EXE

IE938464.EXE

IE958215.EXE

IOSYS98.EXE

jre-6u7-windows-i586-p.exe

MDDACU.EXE

MDIE6CU.EXE

MSXML4.MSI

NUSB.EXE

OE951066.EXE

PNGFIX.EXE

Q216204.EXE

Q271277.EXE

Q272991.EXE

Q304708.EXE

Q311561.exe

Q955839.EXE

RICHED9X.EXE

rootsupd.exe

rpclrtyp.zip

SCANFRAG.EXE

Scr579x.exe

shell32.zip

Shockwave_Installer_Full.exe

TTFPAK.EXE

USBFDD98.EXE

VS6SP6U.EXE

WIA10.EXE

WIA11.EXE

WINFIL98.EXE

These ones are included

(not a complete list, only some of the most recent updates)

237493usa8.exe

GDI_PLUS.EXE

FDSKFRMT.EXE

HHUPD.EXE

KB917344-x86.Exe

OLEUP.EXE

Q265854.exe

Q329048.exe

Q918547.EXE

Q923618.EXE

Q926247.exe

Q929120.EXE

Q931836.EXE

RUNHELP.EXE

SHELL98.EXE

SHELL98b.EXE

TRIEDIT.EXE

VBVM60.EXE

Edited by Fredledingue

• 3 weeks later...
Beta 4 is released.

Something is boring me.

Is it be possible that the installation script may not be fully functional?

I have checked the version number of my ASPI's after the install of SP3 Beta4 and it is unchanged:

showing version 1.0 for WNASPI32.DLL & WINASPI.DLL, version 4.0 for APIX.VXD (& no ASPIENUM.VXD at all)!

Could it be possible for someone (who had ticked the upgrade of Aspi) to check this glitch?

It means also this part of the install was not working for me, with SP2 and previous SP3 :unsure: .

Edited by CharlesF

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi. dont speaking english, but i like comment over kernelex, i installed it and before cud to install in or for order: dotnetfx2, java6, firefox 3.6, shock wave11. directx10 and so, but flash player10 besides i cud installed dont funtion, plis i sayd dont talking english, but need someone, say how to make flash player 10 showme images, Gracias y a todos los creadores de kernelex son lo maximo, los necesitamos, vivan para siempre. Saludos

• 2 months later...

I'd like to add an enhancement wish to this project and others anybody might want to use this info in. Also a bug report on the enhancement, it concerns a widget MS used to push for IE5 quite a while back, and they state it's not for IE6, but it works just fine with both.

It concerns the MS update known as "Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 Toolbar Wallpaper" as shown in your Add/Remove Programs list. Otherwise knows as tbwlpapr.exe

One of the little known cute things about it is that the wallpaper you choose for IE can also be applied to Windows Explorer and it really classes the place up a bit but that last part is broke. I'm thinking it ought to be applied and if you don't want it, you can right click on the tabletop and remove or change the wallpaper as you see fit. The original update did NOT include the methodology to apply the wallpaper to Windows Explorer with just this slight alteration in the registry:

from this (IE only)

HKCU,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar","BackBitmapIE5",,"%10%\Clouds.bmp"

to these two (both explorers)

HKCU,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar","BackBitmapIE5",,"%10%\Clouds.bmp"

HKCU,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar","BackBitmapShell",,"%10%\Clouds.bmp"

If you have the clouds.bmp file in your Windows directory where it would be if you had it at all, you will now have that file as wallpaper for both Explorers. You'll have to close all instances and then open new ones to see the change, but no reboot is necessary for this little trick to happen.

We inflict this change by altering toolimg.inf and adding both those lines to both the

[user.AddReg]

[Machine.AddReg]

sections of the toolimg.inf file. We then need to add code to the toolbar.hta file so that it functions to rewrite both those registry locations with updated data according to the added toolbar widget that this update provides to the right click toolbar menu.

We go from this text snippet in the toolbar.hta file:

function writeRegistry() {

//set the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT values

var strKeyBase = "HKCU\\Software\\Microsoft\\Internet Explorer\\Toolbar\\BackBitmapIE5";

wsho.RegWrite(strKeyBase, txtSkinName.value, "REG_SZ");

strKeyBase = "HKLM\\Software\\Microsoft\\Internet Explorer\\Extensions\\{c23dd370-cb79-11d2-898a-00c04f80a47f}\\UseWinFolder";

wsho.RegWrite(strKeyBase, UseWinPath, "REG_SZ");

alert("Your toolbar has been customized. Close all IE windows, and then restart IE to see your new toolbar.");

window.close();

to this:

function writeRegistry() {

//set the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT values

var strKeyBase = "HKCU\\Software\\Microsoft\\Internet Explorer\\Toolbar\\BackBitmapIE5";

strKeyBase = "HKCU\\Software\\Microsoft\\Internet Explorer\\Toolbar\\BackBitmapShell";

strKeyBase = "HKLM\\Software\\Microsoft\\Internet Explorer\\Extensions\\{c23dd370-cb79-11d2-898a-00c04f80a47f}\\UseWinFolder";

wsho.RegWrite(strKeyBase, UseWinPath, "REG_SZ");

alert("Your toolbar has been customized. Close all IE windows, and then restart IE to see your new toolbar.");

window.close();

and now the right click toolbar widget changes the wallpaper on both explorers to what ever you want or back to nothing at all as you see fit. I store my wallpaper widget on the left side of the right click choice device so I don't even see it unless I'm after it. I certainly don't want it on my toolbar cluttering up things when I only use it a couple of times in as many years.

One other "bug" that MS didn't see fit to correct on this update was the improper text used in the zoomin.htm and zoomout.htm files that wind up in the C:\WINDOWS\WEB folder. When you right click an object in IE after you apply this update you will have two added choices. To zoom in or to zoom out. They never worked before, but with this text subtituted for those files they will work correctly from now on.

zoomin.htm

<HTML>

<script LANGUAGE="JavaScript" defer>

var parentwin = external.menuArguments;

var doc = parentwin.document;

var w;

var h;

if ( parentwin.event.srcElement.tagName == "IMG" )

{

h = parentwin.event.srcElement.height * 2;

w = parentwin.event.srcElement.width * 2;

parentwin.event.srcElement.height = h;

parentwin.event.srcElement.width = w;

}

else

alert ("You must right-click on an image to Zoom.");

</SCRIPT>

</HTML>

and zoomout.htm

<HTML>

<script LANGUAGE="JavaScript" defer>

var parentwin = external.menuArguments;

var doc = parentwin.document;

var w;

var h;

if ( parentwin.event.srcElement.tagName == "IMG" )

{

h = parentwin.event.srcElement.height / 2;

w = parentwin.event.srcElement.width / 2;

parentwin.event.srcElement.height = h;

parentwin.event.srcElement.width = w;

}

else

alert ("You must right-click on an image to Zoom.");

</SCRIPT>

</HTML>

The difference in case you don't spot it right off is times 2 or divide by 2. You can't just copy these files to the named location and expect them to work. They only work with the update applied and the original files replaced with these ones. I suspect it's a fleshing out of shell32.dll file's functions that were placed in there with the "new" IE5 but never used before without this update applied.

So it's a sweet little toy that I think ought to used more especially in it's fixed form. When I work on a machine that DOESN'T have the wallpaper - I really notice it...

Oh, yeah. About the ASPI.inf file, on the last line where you delete the WarnVerDLLs warning...

You don't have to do it that way. What you can do instead is just install the different aspi files and then set the SetupProgramRan key to a value greater than zero and at the next bootup Windows will run a NEW checksum entry on the files you just installed and then start using that information to "protect" those listed dll files from ever changing again. This is all it takes:

HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Shutdown","SetupProgramRan",0x00010001,01,00,00,00

and a reboot.

The SetupProgramRan key causes this behavior but I haven't figured out yet how to do the same thing over in the CheckVerDLLs list. I'd love to know how to add one in there and have it calculate it's own binary string entry in a similar manner to the WarnVerDLLs list. Somewhere, somehow it sure enough happens though.

• 2 months later...

Preparing for Service Pack 3.0 beta4 localization

for the Czech Republic. I need help as

wrap all the translated files into. CAB and

final installer. I can not so much English

perhaps you will understand