New IE Removal Fileset

fdv

About Quick Launch Toolbar It's seems what no IE - no Quick Launch Toolbar :(http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-11184-0.h...threadID=182495

actually no i'm typing this on an win2k built on an old revision of FDV's files, and all i had to do to enable quick launch is create the folder in C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer and that was that.

Oleg :hello:

sorted the wmv file playback that was because i hadn't installed dx9c! so to make them work you need all DX9c and all the ms codec packs.

Cheers

Ian

FDV

LoadLibrary("\C:\WINNT\system32\es.dllHKCR") failed - The

specified module could not be found.

Cannot find the file 'C:\WINNT\system32\wbem,msiprov.dll' (or one

of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct

and that all required libraries are available.

Cannot find the file 'C:\WINNT\apppatch,slayerui.dll' (or one of its

components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and

that all required libraries are available.

One crazy idea - maybe this problem only on PC with AMD CPU? :blink:

I see a problem here. It's obviously looking for files using the wrong file name! :wacko:

I see that it's looking for a file with a name contaning a comma in between. There's no such thing as a file called "wbem,msiprov.dll" nor "apppatch,slayerui.dll". Windows is freaking out, because it's being instructed to look up a name of a file that don't exist.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

Miscellaneous ramblings.....

txfaux.dll pop up error: on a real w2k install, it does not appear that this file is registered.

es.dll pop up error: perhaps the way to install this should be similar to the comnt5.inf

msiprov.dll pop up error: perhaps change the way to install like the wbemnt5.inf

slayerui.dll pop up error: this does not seem to be registered on a real w2k install.

IE icon: add this to the registry:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CLSID\{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}\ShellFolder]
"Attributes"=dword:00100024

TommyP thanks for the regedit!

these four files are for some reason required to prevent windows from giving errors.

i will attempt to fix them by integrating them into SYSSETUP instead of IE.INF as i think that might be the problem here. these error messages x-pert shows are like nothing i have ever seen; it's almost like something is editing his IE.INF, because things are running together - "HKCR" appears in the filename, for example. very odd. i think putting these somewhere else will also simply make for cleaner code anyway.

txfaux.dll pop up error: on a real w2k install, it does not appear that this file is registered.

fdv, I have the same problem, too.

For me, Windows 2000 always bugs me about txfaux.dll during the Windows 2000 installation process. :(

With your Service Pack 4 fileset, sp4files.zip, Windows 2000 has always bugged me about txfaux.dll. :(

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

FDV

1. I tried modifying SHELL.INF and it appeared very easy :yes:

If you want to add Calculator and Paint on Start Menu just copy this code, past in Notepad and save as SHELL.IN_ , then replace the file in the SOURCESS:

[version]
signature="$Windows NT$"
ClassGUID={00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
LayoutFile=layout.inf

[DestinationDirs]

[DefaultInstall]
ProfileItems = SysocAdd, Paint, Calculator

[SysocAdd]
Name ="Windows Components",0x00000001
CmdLine =11,,sysocmgr.exe /i:sysoc.inf
SubDir ="Accessories"
IconPath =11,,sysocmgr.exe

[Paint]
Name ="Paint"
CmdLine =11,,mspaint.exe
SubDir ="Accessories"
IconPath =11,,mspaint.exe
InfoTip ="Creates and edits drawings, and displays and edits scanned photos."

[Calculator]
Name ="Calculator"
CmdLine =11,,calc.exe
SubDir ="Accessories"
IconPath =11,,calc.exe
InfoTip ="Performs basic arithmetic tasks with an on-screen calculator."

[Strings]

2. This line in delreg section may prevent from running some programs. Commenting it will at least let run WebCraft program (two files commented in TXTSETUP.INF will be also required):

HKCR,"CLSID\{8856F961-340A-11D0-A96B-00C04FD705A2}"; Microsoft Web Browser

TommyP

Your regtweak works! But only after installing the system. I placed it in my INSTALL.INF running from SVCPACK (T13?) and it didn't work. It seems that shorcut is created a bit later, maybe during the first startup. If it is so, you may include this tweak in one of the INFs running the same time and we won't see this IE icon after the first needed reboot ;)

That pesty IE icon... I think this works. Open FDV's HIVESFT.INF and de-comment the 9th line:

HKLM,"Software\Clients\StartMenuInternet\IEXPLORE.EXE\InstallInfo","HideIconsCommand",0x00020000,"""%SystemRoot%\system32\rundll32.exe"" ""%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll"",OCInstall HideIE"

You do realize that reg.key is just hiding the IE object folder... it is almost disturbing how difficult it is to stop that from being created. I seen a smidgen of some information on one of those crap sites that want a 9.95 monthly fee for answers to questions, from what I could infer it implies that the IE icon is created during WMP integration/install - but that doesn't make sense - course not much of this problem does :no:

Hi, folks, new here.

Used the instructions some months ago, but installations/removals have my system flaking out beyond utility rescue-- so I'm in the sandbox again with FDV's latest fileset with TommyP's 31-OCT version of HFSLIP just for grins.

Kudos to FDV and TommyP for pretty neat trickery.

My personal quip about Windows and security is "You can't unSwiss the cheese", but what y'all have done here is a major step in terms of "hole reduction".

TommyP, if you think HFSLIP is fun you should play around with DCL on an OpenVMS system--

It's got everything you can do in Win/DOS batch programming plus the ability to access a whole bunch of system calls as well. There's a hobbyist program and some free access on the net- drop me a line if you're interested.

FDV, 'fess up.

You've got more files showing up in your graphic showing the contents of your SYSTEM32 directory than I get when I download everything on the list and pick out the extraneous stuff.

Also, the written instructions still contain some ambiguity (I think, or else it's just me). I'm going to fine-tooth them and send you an email later this week.

Regards,

WWWebb

WWWebb

You can't unSwiss the cheese
:thumbup I love this
FDV, 'fess up.

Okay.

I sometimes read MSFN and Slashdot at work.

I once did something in the back of a cab with a lady I'd just met (introduced by a mutual friend 3 hours previously) and we both didn't care that the cabdriver tilted his rearview and drove slowly and watched.

I once gave $20 to a homeless person and told them to buy the very best booze, not junk.

I once ate a can of the boss' soup at work.

When I was about 17 I lied to my mom and said that the pipe cleaner she found in my pants pocket was just a keychain.

You've got more files showing up in your graphic showing the contents of your SYSTEM32 directory than I get when I download everything on the list and pick out the extraneous stuff.
oh, definitely. I had to take a screenshot to show what I meant, after all... But I didn't want to link to every utility. The reader should use Google for some of those to chase them down, like for example, ActiveXHelper. Great util, but I didn't feel like making links to the six dozen programs I personally use that others might find no real use for <laughs>.
Also, the written instructions still contain some ambiguity (I think, or else it's just me). I'm going to fine-tooth them and send you an email later this week.

Cool. I get a lot of emails from people who comment that they find them logical and well-drawn out, but if you feel something can be improved, I'll listen, without a doubt.

BTW, all - November patch (the_guy has been PM'ed)