New IE Removal Fileset

fdv

FDV

Since the fileset is not a beta now do you think it's time to start another topick for discussing next verion?

It would be convinient to identify somehow the versions (for example, IE Removal Fileset after Decembe 23).

I've already have suggestions for the next version :whistle:

Ohhhh yeah. WWWeb, you guys employ a tech writer as an admin? isn't that asking for trouble when this person has to reboot her HOUSE to fix a problem!?

Admin as in ADMINistrative Assistant, not as in System Administrator.

WWWebb

Edited by WWWebb

FDV

Since you don't create a new thread for the next version I have to post here :P

You asked once about making MRU_KILL.EXE smaller. Why not leave it INF file? It's only 1.59KB :) And could be easy edited too.

I've just tried it - put MRU_KILL.INF in System32, created the shortcut and change Target in link shortcut propeties like this:

%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\rundll32.exe setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 128 %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\mru_kill.inf

It seems to be working.

Now this code should be inserted into SHELL.INF. Will try.

Edited by Oleg_II

i like it.

i think i want to focus on removing ie from win2003 now though.

but additions to win2k's fileset are welcome of course, it's just moving on to a new thing now.

oleg_ii, do you have 2003?

more importantly, send me your email address.

tomcat76, btw, i grabbed that photo and started to do a nasty photoshop of that "eight finger" girl but then i got a bit raunchy and thought "noooo, i better stop now before i decide to finish this and post" :lol:

FDV

Do you think W2k3 will be as fast and light as W2k?

I have an iso that was freely redistributed by M$. It looks like W2k as far as I remember. And if you think it's worth and may be compared with W2k I can buy it (I'll probably need a few licences if it's good).

Have you had a look at that new M$ OS (Vista)? If it's good maybe start learning it and be ready before it comes out ;) Just ask your opinion because I have not tried it. It seems more like XP though.

E-mail is sent :)

PS This one should work:

[mru_killer]
Name ="MRU Eraser"
CmdLine =11,,"rundll32.exe setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 128 %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\mru_kill.inf"
SubDir ="Startup"
IconPath =11,,shell32.dll
IconIndex = -200
InfoTip ="Deletes Most Recently Used items and empties data collection Reg keys."

Edited by Oleg_II

xpmaniac4ever, sorry, no windows 2000 only. even worse for xp fans, i am next going to tackle windows 2003.

win 2003 will be backward compatable with xp modifications so maybe i'll be able to do both at once. the goal is internet explorer registry entry removal in stage one, then file removal later, then we move on to other components. i will post beta file test sets as i go. i expect to get more of a start in january as i am visiting family for the rest of december.

oleg_ii thanks for the SHELL.INF edit.

Q (for FDV),

has anyone ever looked for a way to change a regkey or someting to replace the QL directory from: '%program files%\Internet Explorer\Quicklaunch' to '%userprofile%\QwuickLaunch'

Edited by -I-