New IE Removal Fileset

fdv

Yeah this has become one confusing thread, I think you guys are messing w/ the files too much ;) As tommyp says his works fine... Oleg II when asked earlier by someone what changes he makes started by saying oh just a few and listed half a page or so... which fell into generalities at the end and not specifics.

I think Crash is right. For purposes of helping FDV and TommyP get these betas ironed out and released as final code, let's all test using the same stuff.

How about we agree to use FDV's fileset unmodified, except take out COM and DTC, if FDV hasn't done so already.

When TommyP and FDV are happy with it and then FDV uploads the latest versions to his website, then we can all go back to hacking away :thumbup

@FDV, I want to replace WinMedia Player with the Open-source version using HFSLIP/HFEXPERT folders so I want to put it back.

Will uncommenting the following work?

1. SYSSETUP.IN_

[infs.Always]

mplayer2.inf,DefaultInstall.NT

2. SYSOC.IN_

[Components]

WMPOCM=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,wmpocm.inf,,7

3. TXTSETUP & LAYOUT

[sourceDisksFiles]

wmpocm.exe = 2,,,,,,,32,0,0

wmpocm.inf = 2,,,,,,,20,0,0

Edited by saugatak

saugatak

I'm just supposing that: open MPLAYER2.IN_ from FDV's fileset and read first few lines :P

Frankly speaking I just associate media files with my favorite player with an INF files.

Hey, no offence ment! sorry for my English if it looks a bit rude :)

Edited by Oleg_II

changes / fixes in test set 1 (October 18), listed no matter how minor:

- APCOMPAT.INF removed. No longer used at all.

- ACCESSOR.INF removed. No longer used at all.

- help files removed

- wordpad and converters removed

- POSIX subsystem removed

- OS/2 is gone by default now. still have not created an OS/2 INF installer for folks.

- added my own SHELL.INF to replace all of that garbage MS put in the start menu. Wow. anyway, this is the place to add Start Menu icons if you really want to. say, if folks change their mind and want icons for Paint and Calc <laughs>

- reference to hticons commented out of HIVECLS.INF

- DFRG.INF has been rewritten to install Defragger separately (not installed by TXTSETUP any more)

- MSHTML.INF has been rewritten to install MS HTML and Help system

- AU.INF has been rewritten to install auto update, but needs MSHTML.INF

- add/remove windows components has been added to Accessories

changes / fixes in test set 2 (October 30), listed no matter how minor:

- paint and calc and sound volume are all installed by default, with no user choice (this was the popular consensus for these.) wallpaper bitmaps, mouse pointers, clipboard, packager and other such things are not installed anymore.

- paint and calc do not have shortcuts created in the Start menu. this was also by popular request.

- DTC and COM are removed. use ADD_COM.BAT to add them back.

- DELFILES will no longer be supported. instead, a newer system of cleaning up source will be supported in HFSLIP. there will be more on this later. for now, the point is that when DELFILES disappears next time, don't panic :P

- the fake IEXPLORE.EXE is copied into Program Files\Internet Explorer now. A shortcut to it is now created in the Quick Launch directory. Now if only i could find out what seems to be killing Quicklaunch?! I am sure I am responsible for this at some point, I just need to figure out what I did to kill it I guess <LOL> IEXPLORE.EXE dummy file Copyright Johnathan Howell of datafreak.org.

- still can't figure out that stupid IE icon on the desktop. i need a before/after registry watcher to see what is modified when i delete the icon but i have not gotten to it yet. in the meantime i plan to just add tommyp's bit of code to prevent it from displaying. (that code is HKLM,"Software\Clients\StartMenuInternet\IEXPLORE.EXE\InstallInfo","HideIconsCommand",0x00020000,"""%11%\rundll32.exe"" ""%11%\shell32.dll"",OCInstall HideIE")

- removed a lot of DirectAnimation stuff. MS made / treated it like it was a part of DirectX 9, so i never ripped it out before. well, I finally discovered that only IE makes use of it! so, of course, it got yanked out.

changes / fixes in test set 3 (November 5), listed no matter how minor:

- shortcuts for paint and calc, thanks oleg_ii

- fixed minor file bug in WSH.INF

- re-arranged registry edits in IE.INF

- corrected buggy regedits in IE.INF

changes / fixes in test set 4 (November 27), listed no matter how minor:

- fixed ie desktop icon, thanks tommyp

- fixed quicklaunch, thanks oleg_ii and tommyp

- corrected buggy regedits in IE.INF

to everyone

SYSOC.IN_ is modified by HFSLIP. HFSLIPWU.INF must be run, and it is added into this file. so if you start getting too adventerous and adding this into SOURCESS manually (after having run HFSLIP in other words), things won't work right!

as tommyp notes, and i want to repeat:

of my files, sysoc.inf & txtsetup.sif are files that HFSLIP alters. the rest copy over unchanged.

oleg_ii

There are only a few components left uncommented in SYSOC.INF, what are they for and what happen if we run witout them?

[Components]NtComponents=ntoc.dll,NtOcSetupProc,,4

Display=desk.cpl,DisplayOcSetupProc,,6

MultiM=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,multimed.inf,,7

no, do not run without these. well, you could for multimed... but the first two, no. the first is the optional components manager that allows this INF to be parsed when Windows Components icon in Start menu is clicked... picture a snake eating its tail, sort of. display is of course necessary too.

Crash&Burn

thanks for the Windows Scripting file list.

many programs will include files they are dependant on in their installer, instead of linking them. With a ripped win2K this can result in your system being littered w/ old version files, instead of ones that have been re-released and patched by MS.
long story short, no program is going to install anything but shared libraries, and AFAIK my fileset doesn't remove any (MDAC is staying, sorry to those who want me to add the semicolon for them <LOL> ). things it does remove, like IE or Outlook, are not licensed to be redistributed. also, might as well mention it here, installing patches on your system will also not install new versions of files not there. in other words, double-clicking an IE patch on an IE free system will not add files not already there.

also, i recommend turning SFC on which will help prevent this issue of file replacement. these tweaker guys in other forums with Pentium 4's and 512 Mb sticks of Corsair who turn SFC off because they are worried about performance decreases make me laugh. it's designed to protect them from DLL mismatches and they turn it off because they want to recover that extra millionth of a second.

saugatak

yeah, go ahead and uncomment MPLAYER from SYSSETUP

but look in the file... you will see

"; sets up mplayer2 files to work in Media Player Classic"

so, all this does is pave the way for you to use the freeware MP Classic. the only thing is that inside the INF, it associates the extensions with MPLAYERC.EXE. so if you use APPREPLACE, you have to do some changing in this INF. remember -- and this note is to everyone and is something even I often forget -- not all of my INF files remove things. sometimes they fix things, sometimes they consolidate things. WSH.INF is a perfect example, or DFRG.INF -- WSH.INF takes info from something like 3 or 4 different INFs and puts it all into one, so that if someone wants to take Windows Scripting Host out or add it later, it's easier to do than what Microsoft set up originally.

2. SYSOC.IN_

[Components]

WMPOCM=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,wmpocm.inf,,7

no, this is one thing you don't need to do actually. this INF only asks if you want to use the default or not.

Edited by fdv

FDV

Thanx for the detailed answer! :thumbup

I've read somewhere that there is a REG-tweak for turning Quick Launch off (folks believe it saves some memory). If we look for it will it help you?

Where was the reason for that IEXPLORE.EXE error? We are not professional testers and if you want us to have some professional grouth for the future testings :rolleyes:

saugatak

Replace name from "mplayerc.exe" to "mplayer2.exe" and change path from "%16422%\%MPDir%\" to "%11%\" :)

Edited by Oleg_II

Enable/Fix quicklaunch w/ this key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

"NoSaveSettings"=hex:00,00,00,00

When you "delete" the IE icon from the desktop, from the context menu, it just sets the registry key to "hide" it.

The most that I can find regarding IE on the desktop is related to these CLSID's

{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}

{FBF23B40-E3F0-101B-8488-00AA003E56F8}

They can be found, amoung other places:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Approved]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CLSID]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID]

Also in a backup key, Windows apparently will replace the {871..} key if you delete its information from the registry... although I didn't attempt to purge all instances of those 2 keys, in both keys, values, and data...(yet) I don't have a working backup OS atm ;)

But one might try that.

So theres something else going on behind the scenes, might not even be registry related. I can't seem to find anyone that knows about it. And that {FB..} key will just "replace" IE if its gone missing on your desktop, but it has to be an interaction of the above 2 keys and perhaps others.

Anyways, hope that helps.

Though obviously the easiest route is to just use the key to hide the icon itself, as it's a (super) special Namespace object/folder, that doesn't quite follow the rules of any of the other Namespace folders.

Edited by Crash&Burn