New IE Removal Fileset

fdv

fdv

All files should be in that multimed.inf.

As for IEXPLORE.EXE - probably something else is calling for it when registering components. Maybe place it ater installing things? Say in that Welcome.exe? ;)

dirtwarrior

What do you mean - sounds? Aren't they just a few separate WAV files? I personally use two customized sounds: when e-mail comes and when error occures (I replaced the files in distro with mine).

If it's not difficult for you and you really want to share, place it somewhere on rapidshare.com , somebody will definitelly try (I like W2k look and feel - simple and effective! but can try it also ;)

By the way, you can try it yourself with HFSLIP and report to all: tommyp made special folders for replacement files (FIX and HFEXPERT\APPREPLACEMENT). The process is really simple and automated :thumbup

Edited by Oleg_II

@Oleg, good catch, didn't notice that the sound driver was missing.

@FDV, SYSOC.IN_ has the multimedia reference uncommented:

MultiM=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,multimed.inf,,7

Since "multimed.inf" is not part of your fileset, I'm presuming that you're using the base Win2k multimed.inf.

It's compressed in SOURCESS so I couldn't figure out how to take a look at it.

Also, I got the following error message when first opening Process Explorer (renamed TaskManager):

"The version of Dbghelp.dll configured does not support the Microsoft Symbol Server. Please download and install the Microsoft Debugging Tools for Windows to get a version that does."

I think FDV's fileset removes debugging tools (correct me if I'm wrong FDV). If not, then I probably removed it with nLite taking out Dr. Watson.

I downloaded what I think is the latest version of Dbghelp.dll from here.

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?dbghelp

When I compared the two files, the downloaded version was 5.1.2600.0 (looks like the XP version of the dll). The dll on the FDV Win2kVM was 5.0.2195.6613 (looks like the Win2kSP4 version of the dll).

Wondering about 2 things:

1. Does it matter if the latest version of Dbghelp.dll is not there? ProcessExplorer seems to run fine.

2. Is it possible to put in the latest version of Dbghelp.dll in \HFSLIP\HFEXPERT\APPREPLACEMENT to replace the older version of the dll?

I replaced the older Dbghelp.dll with the newer one manually on the Win2kVM and it worked fine, didn't notice any problems with Process Explorer.

Edited by saugatak

It's compressed in SOURCESS so I couldn't figure out how to take a look at it.
WinRar GUI/line command will open it, Total Commander can Ctrl-PGDown to open up cab-compressed to view just as if its a folder - though TC might require it to be changed to a .cab extension, prolly a plugin I haven't used that can get around that.

Makecab.exe and Cabarc.exe (line command tools) can uncompress

The latter two are in the ieak6.exe from Mircosoft, which is linked on MSFN's homepage as well.

Unless you are talking about something else, sorry for redundant information then ;)

saugatak

I have this DLL in my system32 (I run IE-free verson for about two weeks alredy :thumbup

And probably (my native language is not Enlish) the message means that IF you have this DLL the program will run on server versions of Windows?

Anyway don't think it is important and worth to adding/replacing. This message appears only once when I start Task Manager and then it never disturbs me. I even think that it is a metter of regestry tweak and I'll search for it after I have a lite and stable IE-free system :yes: and of corse when I have time (tracking regestry changes takes me some time to be sure).

As for openning CABed files, if you like experimenting you may copy the distro (W2k+SP4 not HFSLIPed) in a different location and then look in Unattended section for a script that unCAB all files in a folder and deletes CABed (like .in_) then (one of the versions was suggested by Yzöwl - search for it). That will give you a folder with files that you can sort - .EXE, .INF, .DLL, etc.

One note! I'm not sure what will happen if you have DRIVER.CAB in that folder - it's nearly 50MB and contains about 3,5 thousand files :blink: I think it's better to delete all CABs from that folder before running script.

Edited by Oleg_II

hi saugatak and Oleg_II and crash&burn, thanks for the info.

saugatak:

"The version of Dbghelp.dll configured does not support the Microsoft Symbol Server. Please download and install the Microsoft Debugging Tools for Windows to get a version that does."

I think FDV's fileset removes debugging tools

no, this is a normal error message, just click okay and process explorer will run on the second launch. i do not removing debugging, it is not installed by default in windows -- the user has to install it manually and since process explorer will work without it, it's a waste of space. the error has nothing to do with my fileset.

I found this utility is very useful for experimenting with Windows files too: Add Makecab and Expand to SendTo _http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=27469 (sorry sometimes the buttons for inserting coded doesn't work for me :( Have to figure out why or learn the coding ;)

Edited by Oleg_II

@ FDV, re: BartsPE

I was thinking about this, as what I currently do, is have a working Win2K system with everything I'd want in a completely installed OS + Apps on an 8gig drive. Which I just leave unplugged. If I need to diagnose my current system, I just hook up the cables.

An alternate would probably be to get a External HD case for it, and run it thru FireWire or USB. One could even use this for troubleshooting other computers that wont boot etc.

Not that BartsPE isn't good, but for those of us running Win2K and don't work for a computer company are we really gonna buy WinXP just to use Bart's? I have a 'copy' of WinXP (w/o COA) that I don't install, was just for "learning" purposes and to grab a couple files off of. As I don't want XP, and certainly not gonna pay for it just to run BartsPE heh.

I know what I did. I was trying to get to far ahead of my skill level. It is fixed and running good.

I mixed some nt4 files, some 2k3 files and some xp files.

Removed IE, slipstreamed direct x, new media player and codec.

A comitt of 28 meg :). I think I can beat this

Very good program.

TY Much