HFSLIP your codecs

tommyp

Not sure why...I zipped it using 7-zip and these settings:

Zip format
Ultra compression
BZip2 method

I will post a new version tonight anyway. Thanks for the feedback!

For 7z, zip it:

7z/Ultra/LZMA/64MB/273 (Solid), where 64MB is changed so the compression memory reflects just less than the amount of RAM you have or have free.

For WinZip compatible, zip it:

Zip/Normal/Deflate/32KB/32

To get ideal compression results with 7-Zip, you want your dictionary to be larger than the actual filesize. If you don't get ideal compression, the ending filesize will be about identical to RAR's.

I'm still working on this. I really like tommyp's idea of a separate zip containing and INF and the associated files for each different codec. It shouldn't be too tough to do but I am also a big fan of turning one of the big-name codec packs into an addon pack and just leaving it at that.

I like the addon method for three reasons:

1) easy to update

2) more versatile/reliable pack since those devs seem to know a lot more about how codecs work together and use other tools (like ffdshow)

3) addon packs are cool!

@Kramy: thanks for the tip.

Edited by TAiN

@TAiN, thk's, extract already :) . but why the file extension *.ZIP instead of *.7Z

For your future release please consider below codec to replace AC3Filter and DScaler MPEG Filer.

- CyberLink DVD Filter

CyberLink DVD Video/SP Filter 6.0.0.1006.

File : CLNavX.ax, CLVSD.ax, CLLine21.ax

- CyberLink AC3 Filter

CyberLink Audio AC3 Filter 6.0.0.1027.

File : claud.ax, - claud.sim

- InterVideo DVD Filter

InterVideo Video Filter 7.0.27.130

This should only be installed if you do not plan to install any

Cyberlink 3rd party application

File : IVIVIDEO.ax

- InterVideo AC3 Filter

InterVideo Audio AC3 Filter 7.0.27.130.

This should only be installed if you do not plan to install any

Cyberlink 3rd party application

File : IViaudio.ax, IVInav.ax

I get this codec from Cole2K.

@sunamigaza: Those are definitely on my to do list :)

I am working on the codec pack again after bug-testing the crap out of lots of codec/hfcleanup/addon configs. Can anyone point me to a "codec test pack?" I would like to download a pack of videos that conform to standards such as WM9, xvid, Indeo, MPEG2/4, and so on so that I can more efficiently/accurately test codec installations.

Google isn't helping me much but I have found a few good test files. Can someone recommend a good resource?

After much scouring I have compiled some decent codec tester movies. I stashed the pack on rapidshare. Enjoy.

I am still loooking for more resources, though. So please post any links you have and I'll integrate them to ensure we have the best test vids possible.

Not to highjack your thread, just to inform you that my latest release of the Switchless Filter and Codec Pack should support Win2K (untested) Its a 24meg single EXE.

shark

How is this codec slipstreaming? The title of this thread is "Why do a large codec installer when you can HFSLIP it?"

• 2 months later...

hi!

i'd just like to ask if there'd be any update for this ...

specifically for XP (with minor differences in folders with that of 2K) & especially with the new codec packs now (i.e., XP Codec Pack 1.3.4 & Codec Pack All in 1 6.0.3.0) ... specifically the new files that come with it ...

thanks much!

any help would be appreciated! ;)

-kiki-

Kiki - HFSLIPing your codecs works with 2k/xp/2k3. For example, you can copy your HFEXPERT\CODECS from 2k to a xp to a 2k3 HFSLIP workign directory and all will work fine. There may be newer ones out there. If you really need bleeding edge codecs, you can create the update yourself, but you'll have to visit a slew of sourceforge websites to grab them. It's not that hard, except for creating the INF file. FYI, I've been using the same codecs for the past 8 months or so without a hitch.

Once Tain gets back up and running after his laser eye surgery, maybe he'll update things.

I do plan to update this when I get a chance. I am still in my hotel recovering from eye sugery now...but I can see much better!

When I get back home I start a new job that will either give me lots of time off of work, or nearly none at all. It could really go either way and I can't tell just yet.

Like tommyp, I am also still using these codecs. The laptop that I brought with me on this trip is freshly HFSLIPped and uses these codecs...they are working fine for me. Please post any specific issues so that I can look into them.

@ tommyp

thanks again sir for the clarification ... as always :)

@ tain

get well sir ... i am not much in a hurry ... i will wait for it sirs!

i am just a little concerned about integrating the new codec packs ... that's all ...

in fact i have already followed the instructions from the initial posts here & i believe it works ... again, i would just like to make use of the new packs so everything else is updated ... :)

thanks!

Edited by Kiki Burgh