HFSLIP your codecs

tommyp

Tain: The following files wouldn't play on my Win2k USP5.1 system(made yesterday).

Applemp4.mp4

Asf.asf

mazegame2.swf

H.264 (AVC).avi

H.264-2.mov (Played, but was blank audio+video)

Huffyuv.avi

I263.avi

IR3x.avi

IR4x.avi

IR5x.avi

Xvid4-noaudio.avi (Had crazy green rising bar distortions)

Played after installing Windows Media Lite:

Audio-WMA8-64.wma

Wmv7.wmv

Wmv8.wmv

Wmv9.wmv (Odd play behaviour)

WMV9-.wmv

I think perhaps I gutted too many codecs out with nLite, or maybe need a new keepfiles list. :whistle:

Applemp4.mp4

Asf.asf

mazegame2.swf

H.264 (AVC).avi

Huffyuv.avi

I263.avi

IR3x.avi

IR4x.avi

IR5x.avi

.asf won't work until you install windows media codecs which are *not* part of this pack. I took them out by request bcause HFSLIP already does a great job of slipsteaming them via wmfdist.exe.

.swf is flash which is also not part of this pack...not really a codec, per se.

I am still working on .mp4 support.

.mov (and real) are tough...sometimes they works for me, sometimes they don't. They seem to be common amongst other codec packs. The best solution if qt/earl are important to you is to install the 'Alternate' installers...they consistenly do a good job.

The rest of those should work so I wonder what you did with nLite...can you tell me?

Audio-WMA8-64.wma

Wmv7.wmv

Wmv8.wmv

Wmv9.wmv (Odd play behaviour)

WMV9-.wmv

Windows media codecs again...
I think perhaps I gutted too many codecs out with nLite, or maybe need a new keepfiles list.
Whta exactly did you do with nLite? I never use it, and many of the files that didn't work for you don't give me any trouble.

After we get some testing out of the way there will be a post that walks through these issues a bit better.

Three things:

1) I don't really remove anything media/codec related with nLite, other than WMP. Even for that, I maintain compatability for Windows Media Lite.

2) wmfdist.exe never worked for me when nLiting.

3) One thing that I really dislike about this method is it adds dummy entries somewhere. Every time I use HFEXPERT/CODECS, setup complains about missing hfcodecs.cab. I checked, and no such cab files exists, and nLite isn't causing any problems with deleting these codecs either. :} I then used Locate to look for 'hfcodecs' in all files, and couldn't find any references to it! :w00t: Must be hidden and compressed.

Three things:

1) I don't really remove anything media/codec related with nLite, other than WMP. Even for that, I maintain compatability for Windows Media Lite.

2) wmfdist.exe never worked for me when nLiting.

Doesn't removing WMP also remove the WM codecs? Either way, the old version of this pack had working WM codecs so I can repackage those for ya. You will probably be the only tester though. :}
3) One thing that I really dislike about this method is it adds dummy entries somewhere. Every time I use HFEXPERT/CODECS, setup complains about missing hfcodecs.cab. I checked, and no such cab files exists, and nLite isn't causing any problems with deleting these codecs either. :} I then used Locate to look for 'hfcodecs' in all files, and couldn't find any references to it! :w00t: Must be hidden and compressed.
That is intriguing. Once upon a time the archive was named HFcodecs.zip. I may have used hfcodecs.cab in a few months ago when I was playing with the INF but it isn't used now. Also, the current pack doesn't even use an INF. I searched *all* of my codec resources and can't find a reference to that anywhere. Did you unpack the new pack into a directory containing an older version? If so, please delete and start from scratch. If not, maybe TP/TC can help out on this one? :whistle:

If you can't play files, I'll may have to take a stab that nlte'd hfslip directions weren't read on what files to keep and what not to select. All files except for MOV play fine for me. I can't play MOV because I purposely don't install them on my machine.

I'd love some working windows media codecs. :D

I have no inf files in CODECS, and I deleted the CODECS folder before downloading and unpacking them. :thumbup The hfcodecs.cab complaint has been around in every single version of HFSLIP, and all your posted codecs revisions. Don't know if that will help you track anything down.

tommyp: I use all the keepfiles I could find on vorck.com, and also the ones listed at the start of this thread. That shouldn't matter though, since I just stated that all the codec files do end up on my system. Media Player Classic 6.4.9.0 won't play those files though. :lol:

Ahh, windows sound drivers...I do remove those, since I integrate nForce II ones.

Hey, I wonder if that's what this unknown device with a yellow (!) is! :blink: I had always wondered what it was, since it said it was on the PCI bus and I have no PCI cards. :lol: It also didn't label itself as anything, so who knows, maybe...I'll have to try that the next time I reinstall.

If you can't play files, I'll may have to take a stab that nlte'd hfslip directions weren't read on what files to keep and what not to select. All files except for MOV play fine for me. I can't play MOV because I purposely don't install them on my machine.

It is probably just me, but this post seems to be gibberish. I can't make any sense of it! :blushing:

I have no inf files in CODECS, and I deleted the CODECS folder before downloading and unpacking them. :thumbup The hfcodecs.cab complaint has been around in every single version of HFSLIP, and all your posted codecs revisions. Don't know if that will help you track anything down.
Please do a search of all your HFSLIP stuff and see what file contains that text string.

None of 29960 files in my HFSLIP dir and subdirs contain the text "hfcodecs". Only two files contain "hfcodecs" in their name, and they are both .7z files in a downloads folder.

A shocking thing happened today: I got absolutely 0 error messages. The only things I did differently were including mp64_wmp6cdcs.exe in my HF dir(which if I'm not mistaken, does nothing?), and using an older modified HFSLIP ver rather than the latest test releases. This was the first time I tried it on my old mod vers without the inf files. I get lots of errors with the new test releases, so perhaps it's unrelated, and there's two bugs here?

The inf files aren't being handled properly on my system, and cause missing hfcodecs.cab error.

The new test versions result in missing [insert one of 500 files here] error, which I'm currently resolving with Tomcat. :whistle:

Ok, so no INF files and the error message is gone...now lets get the rest of these to work. :D Here's the newest unworking list:

Applemp4.mp4

Asf.asf

mazegame2.swf

H.264 (AVC).avi

Huffyuv.avi

I263.avi

I still need to try not removing Sound drivers with nLite.

Edited by Kramy

Applemp4.mp4

Asf.asf

mazegame2.swf

H.264 (AVC).avi

The .asf should work if your .WMV files are now working. I'll look into that one a bit deeper. .MOV support is spotty, and H.264 isn't supported by this pack yet.
Huffyuv.avi

I263.avi

These should all work. I recall one of the test vids giving me green distortion as well so it may just be that file. Can you do me a favor? Load up gspot and see what it reports when you try to load these three files.

Thanks for all of your help with this! :thumbup

GSpot reports no codecs for the first two, and three crappy codecs for the last(ugh, conflicting DivX/XVid codecs!).

I installed ffdshow, and it fixed the green-bar graphical glitches.

Now only these files fail:

Asf.asf

mazegame2.swf

H.264 (AVC).avi

Huffyuv.avi

I263.avi

Something new though - my Portable Firefox install with the latest Real/QT plugins crashes when it comes upon a movie. Apparently these codecs aren't as new as the latest QT/Real alternative installers? :whistle:

GSpot reports no codecs for the first two, and three crappy codecs for the last(ugh, conflicting DivX/XVid codecs!).
What conflicts? Please describe.
I installed ffdshow, and it fixed the green-bar graphical glitches.
In that case I'll see about fixing the pack to make that movie work properly. Thanks for confirming the bug!
Asf.asf

mazegame2.swf

H.264 (AVC).avi

Huffyuv.avi

I263.avi

The only ones in that list that bother me are the last two. I'll see what I can do about them.

The .asf doesn't work now that you have your WM codecs installed?

Apparently these codecs aren't as new as the latest QT/Real alternative installers?
Probably not because I haven't updated them in a while. Honestly, you are lucky if they work at all. Installing QT/Real in this way doesn't work (for me) very well. The 'alternative' installers work great. This is at the bottom of my to-do list :)

The asf starts playing for a half second and stops, then returns to the start where it remains stopped.

GSpot reports DivX Decoder Filter, DivX Decoder Filter, Xvid MPEG-4 Video Decoder. Installing ffdshow didn't add a new one, so perhaps it "patched" one to work better?

I don't know if you include them or not, but the 3ivX codecs are known for being POS that don't play anything properly. If you happened to include them, then it might explain the graphical distortions. :thumbup