CPUs in 2060 Smarter Than Every Human Brain

ringfinger

CPUs are not "smart" in any sense. They can calculate numbers faster than any human brain can, but they are in no way "smart". Smart is figuring out how to solve a problem. Smart is discovering something new.Without a person who writes a program, a CPU is just a very expensive piece of silicon.

I hate poorly worded articles.

But that's exactly what I'm saying... without software, computers don't do anything. It takes a human being to write the software that they run.

When I refer to solving problems, I'm not talking about math problems... I'm talking about design and business problems. The kinds of problems that companies are actually willing to spend millions of dollars on a single person to figure out. That's something that IMO, we won't be seeing for a very very long time.

Not to mention that if you couple the CPUs of 2060 with 4MB of RAM, they'll be able to do diddly squat. CPUs are just one part of computers...

Well, obviously the other hardware components of the machine will also be highly advanced, right along with the softwares. I guess the article should have been 'computers of 2060' not singling out the CPU. But, maybe they were referring to the whole machine, sometimes people call an entire computer CPUs... who knows.

but machines can learn, nasa has them! they are basic right now, but you can teach them shapes, words, colors.

Yes... you can do all this, but there is so much more to being smart. There's the concept of what is best... can you really trust a computer/machine to decide what is the "best" way to do things?

Anyone who wants a really really really good read about all this stuff (computers being "smart", making decisions, etc) read the Dune saga by Frank Herbert as well as the prequels by his son Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson. There are now 12 books in all, and the last three that were released (that are actually the beginning of the whole story) dive into this topic a lot. I'm working on the last one and I love every last bit of it. There's always the everlasting question of "what does it mean to be human?"

A computer may have the capacity to expand its "database" and instantaneously/sinumltaneously recall all information it collects, but that is far different than reproducing. In order for that to happen, humans first have to develop the vast understanding necessary to create robots that can create child robots. Scientists can't even recreate a heart implant anywhere near as efficient as the human heart. The point is, we have a very, very..... very long way to go.

And Zxian is absolutely correct. Humans first must create the computer to hold a capacity to surpass 6-7 billion human beings' intelligences. But if the computer will be able to do that, it will also be able to do the supernatural things some humans are capable of doing, despite it being absent of factual evidence. Being able to move something with your mind, which is simply relating your own energy with the energy of the object you wish to move. I know a lot of people consider that a load of crap, but I've actually done it and have friends that do it occasionally in their spare time. Just using a different part of your brain. Being able to sense something to occur in the future, as another example... Clairyovance, Premonitions, having a spiritual Third Eye which allows one to "see" spiritual energy. All just different functions of the human brain that no one has figured out yet. My main point is... how can we as partial knowing humans create a "device" that is capable of outsmarting the Entire Population of Our Planet???

Unless, of course, you simply mean calculations... the speed of processing the data. A 100 THz processor...?

Not bad, from "are CPU's in the future going to be smarter than us all" to Telekenesis and Clairvoyance ;)

'Reproducing' as you call it is not really a good example. To 'reproduce' a robot or computer could be done much easier by robotics that a human can - hell, how much manufacturing goes on these days by robots and computers? Lot easier to change a CPU than a heart.

I believe, personally, that yes, at some unspecified point in the future computers could become more intelligent than their human creators. Why? Well, thinking about it from a different angle. How do Humans become knowledgable, intelligent, able to make mental connections, decisions, etc - they learn through experience and from our peers. We do something, make a connection, store that for the next time. This process happens from infant until you die.

Why could the same not happen in AI?

My first personal computer was in 1982 or therabouts - 1kb of memory, cpu slower than continental drift. Now? 1 million times the storage and similar to the speed. What will be possible in the 55 years that the original post mentioned? I've seen some incredible changes so far that I could never have even imagined in 82, bit arrogant to say you can imagine the state of technology in another 50 years.

So, a sufficiently powerful CPU (call it the Paganium for example :P ), taught from manufacture, learning, allowed to develop - give me a good reason why that could not become intelligent by our standards?

SP