CPUs in 2060 Smarter Than Every Human Brain

ringfinger

sorry, but I think anybody who says robots can learn, need to actually read up on AI.  The number one thing in AI programming is developing tree traversal, if you know what that means, you know why AI really is a joke.  And then there's also the problem that computers are purely derterministic.  When designing, as my proffesors constantly mention, there are choices and consequences.  A deterministic machine is not capable of making different choices based on different consequences for different design constraints.  And if you don't mind me throwing in some philosophy, nothing can make anything greater then itself.  If you believe that fundamental bit of philosophy, then it's completely impossible for a human being to create something bigger than itself.  But even if we do pull designing something greater than ourselves, there's still the problem that design is often a matter of opinion.  And the second you put opinions into a machine, well, I don't think I need to finish that statement.

In the future, we will have true AI. I believe that machines will be capable of exceeding their initial programming and being able to learn new things and make choices beyond any preset design constraints

You do know that in 1997, Deep Blue beat chess champion Gary Kasparov don’t you? Computers will be better than us at a lot of things in the future. Who’s to say the a machine cant create another machine that’s better than us?

Edited by At0mic

i expect back when we where using valves, people asked how you could program a weather simulator also.

and imagination is basically trial and error.

something like problem + past experiances + random = idea > functional? yes/no

let me counter that also with.... how did you learn to imagine? its not something you where born with. so you were... programmed, like you where programmed to eat with a knife and fork and why a pink dress with frilly ribbons on really doesent go with your beer gut and tattoos.

no?

Learn to imagine... that sounds somewhat contradictory. :P I was thinking of imagination more as the "lying in a field daydreaming" imagination, not really problem-solving imagination. I suppose that for the latter, could ultimately be programmed into a learning robot.

As for the "+ random" part of your definition of imagination, that does hold for part of what imagination is, but it's still one of the big problems in programming, since you can never truly generate a completely random number. You can have pseudo-random number generators, but they're still following a pre-programmed algorithm.

You do know that in 1997, Deep Blue beat chess champion Gary Kasparov don’t you? Computers will be better than us at a lot of things in the future. Who’s to say the a machine cant create another machine that’s better than us?

That's actually not that good of an example... chess is a limited situation. There is a finite (but large) number of combinations of moves that are possible. Play enough chess and you'll end up repeating a game move for move (yes, it would take a while). A computer is easily able to see all possible outcomes from this point forward in a game of chess, and by that take the "best" course of action.

chess is a limited situation. There is a finite (but large) number of combinations of moves that are possible. Play enough chess and you'll end up repeating a game move for move (yes, it would take a while). A computer is easily able to see all possible outcomes from this point forward in a game of chess, and by that take the "best" course of action.

same can be said for writing music, even designing parts for a machine... theres only so many types of widget possible, even if theres trillions of trillions of permutations.

get a future super computer to write music based on the rules of music writting, add some randomisers in there, and leave it to it, eventually it wil finish. a modern super computer could do this.. it would just take it hundereds of years to reach a terminal point.

Exactly, we will Zxian.... We'll be chillin' on the portch 2 miles above ground with our pipes and canes watching all the plane/car taxi's fly by as robots patrol our sreets/air haighways and arrest our criminals. I can't wait! Imagine internet and communications transfer speeds by then!

Edited by ringfinger

i know that we are lucky, but when i was born barely anyone had computers, now most people have 2 or 3. and the speeds have increased dramatically since i was born too, i cant imaging in 30 years just how much better things are going to be. imagine how many cores that there will be in 1 cpu, amd is planning to have a 16 core cpu around 2010.

Think about it... science fiction will in my opinion for the most part become fact within the next 30-50 years. I, Robot & 5th Element scenes will become common life... like I said before it sucks we'll all be so old. I just want to go into space one time and feel weightlessness and so far away from home. That'd be so great!

I believe it.... today's technology no, but 100 years from now I can see computers, what we call today, will be full fledge AI's without human intervention. Then moving into then next millenium I could even see reproduction of an AI. Soon enough we will have "H.A.L.", not Space Odyssy 2001.... they were entirely off track.

Sound's rediculous, but think of this... civilization never even had the light bulb, pen, pencil, paper, or match until someone had invented it. If you traveled back into time say B.C. era you will be considered a GOD with the wealth of knowledge and technology in your hands, then again you just might be killed.

I believe it.... today's technology no, but 100 years from now I can see computers, what we call today, will be full fledge AI's without human intervention. Then moving into then next millenium I could even see reproduction of an AI. Soon enough we will have "H.A.L.", not Space Odyssy 2001.... they were entirely off track.

Sound's rediculous, but think of this... civilization never even had the light bulb, pen, pencil, paper, or match until someone had invented it. If you traveled back into time say B.C. era you will be considered a GOD with the wealth of knowledge and technology in your hands, then again you just might be killed.

True, very true...

A good read http://www.richardwarrenfield.com/Predicti...tMillennium.htm, most of what is said I agree with.

If you think ahead three millennium's from now, what would you think this world would be like? Makes you think about is life as we know it by that of definition or a process of artificial intelligence (not matrix movie). Sure we have skin, bones and can inflict pain/pleasure and receive pain/pleasure, but what is your brain categorized as? By fact it's a large muscle with electron's/nuetron's feeding your body telling you what things are, the fluid (blood) keep the body in function and a well living temperature for the body to relax, the lungs to cool function as a filter and cools the bodies fluids (blood) so that the body does not burst and basically melt down and die it also brings oxygen into the body's fluids, the computer function's in the ideal process.

Question: Do you actaully think that the only living organism's and animal's live outside of the body? Think again... inside the body is an entirely different world with more living organism's and animal's that help the body stay functioning.

True, very true...

Edited by epic