Wants and needs for WPI

Hello,

Congratulations for your development.

I'm using wpi for a long time and I think is the greatest thing I've ever used.

I've created two installation CD's, one for installing my applications in english windows, and one for installing my applications in greek windows.

I'm doing this, because of the cleanup command which has to be diferent because of the special folders that are different in each language of windows (desktop, programs, startup, etc.).

I think that this can be solved with an universal option, a check box for each language that wpi must read in the beginning of the installations and put it in the "special" commands that uses.

for example:

Two check buttons one EN and one GR.

In the beginning of the installation the wpi will read this and where it is finding the command "cleanup.cmd" it will run it, as "cleanupEN.cmd"

Universal options can also created for defining from which disk the installation will begin "%systemdrive%\install..." or "%cdrom%\install..."

You may also have some ideas for using universal options.

I hope you like this idea

thank you

With everyone's humble permission, I would like to take a crack at the manual. I know that Lost Soul and K- have already invested a LOT of time in the thing, and its usefulness is not in debate. Whether folks choose to hide it, I suspect most will refer to it time and again, especially if the information is up-to-date and addresses all of the recent changes made to this great app. Sections of the manual could be expanded to help folks get a real sense of some of the stuff that happens "under the hood," and some of the things that can be changed to truly personalize WPI without compromising its functionality. But yer gonna have to learn a little HTML along the way. :D

If we wrote a manual and posted it as a sticky, as has been suggested, that would work. I mean, it's not as if you take your WPI disc on the road and need to refer to the manual in order to operate the darned thing, right? But the sticky would have to be a link to a fuller Web site that could include navigation aids, etc., maybe using those great new URLs provided by athomsen and maintained by K-. :thumbup

But I wonder if we can't incorporate it directly into WPI together with links to individual files. Just thinking out loud here, but wouldn't it be cool if the manual discussed an issue like changing a background color together with a link to the file so that it could be opened and edited directly? Nah, probably wouldn't work.

I am concerned about the size of a manual that would be laden with helpful graphics in the form of screen shots, etc. The point was made earlier about full discs (you're going to need to investigate integration or compression methods, 'cause the next hotfix or driver install is going to put you over the limit :P ) A companion .pdf would be nice, too, all adding to size.

Bottom line for me: let's let the coders work their magic, and we'll see about getting the manual put together in conjunction with the changes. Like everything else around here, it will be a work in progress. We are all doing this for the love but let's remember that we all have jobs and lives, too. The WPI project has been around for awhile, and I hope everyone sticks around as it continues to grow.

My background: I was a professional writer with the Federal Government before becoming an elementary school teacher, and I have built a few Web sites for kicks. I think I can tackle this with your help. As for any comments, well, constructive criticism is always welcomed.

@ Kelsenellenelvian and others: feel free to weigh in here.

Edited by blinkdt

With everyone's humble permission, I would like to take a crack at the manual. I know that Lost Soul and K- have already invested a LOT of time in the thing, and its usefulness is not in debate. Whether folks choose to hide it, I suspect most will refer to it time and again, especially if the information is up-to-date and addresses all of the recent changes made to this great app. Sections of the manual could be expanded to help folks get a real sense of some of the stuff that happens "under the hood," and some of the things that can be changed to truly personalize WPI without compromising its functionality. But yer gonna have to learn a little HTML along the way.  :D

If we wrote a manual and posted it as a sticky, as has been suggested, that would work. I mean, it's not as if you take your WPI disc on the road and need to refer to the manual in order to operate the darned thing, right? But the sticky would have to be a link to a fuller Web site that could include navigation aids, etc., maybe using those great new URLs provided by athomsen and maintained by K-.  :thumbup

But I wonder if we can't incorporate it directly into WPI together with links to individual files. Just thinking out loud here, but wouldn't it be cool if the manual discussed an issue like changing a background color together with a link to the file so that it could be opened and edited directly? Nah, probably wouldn't work.

I am concerned about the size of a manual that would be laden with helpful graphics in the form of screen shots, etc. The point was made earlier about full discs (you're going to need to investigate integration or compression methods, 'cause the next hotfix or driver install is going to put you over the limit  :P ) A companion .pdf would be nice, too, all adding to size.

Bottom line for me: let's let the coders work their magic, and we'll see about getting the manual put together in conjunction with the changes. Like everything else around here, it will be a work in progress. We are all doing this for the love but let's remember that we all have jobs and lives, too. The WPI project has been around for awhile, and I hope everyone sticks around as it continues to grow.

My background: I was a professional writer with the Federal Government before becoming an elementary school teacher, and I have built a few Web sites for kicks. I think I can tackle this with your help. As for any comments, well, constructive criticism is always welcomed.

@ Kelsenellenelvian and others: feel free to weigh in here.

go for it m8, tweak it, improve it, alter it, its all good change it any way you like

throws the ball to blinktd, its in your court now :)

An awesome new feature would be the ability to create additional "default" buttons.

For Example, I have packages of software that I install on one computer but not on another---it would be great if there were a method for adding another default button and being able to rename them so that default1 becomes (for example) "Gaming Computer" and default2 would become "Work Computer".

If you could add one button... why not 2 or 3? I don't know if this would be a difficult feature to program, but it would be AWESOME for my purposes.

I've already tweaked out my interface and a lot of the bug complaints other people are having I'm working around by modifying the WSI.htm in the theme folder. This update is my only real need.

BTW: WPI is super sweet, and very easily customizable. Thanks!

:D

~Z

---I'd also appreciate just being pointed in the right direction on how to do this for myself. I'm not completely incompetant when it comes to Java.

Edited by zacnboat

An awesome new feature would be the ability to create additional "default" buttons.

For Example, I have packages of software that I install on one computer but not on another---it would be great if there were a method for adding another default button and being able to rename them so that default1 becomes (for example) "Gaming Computer" and default2 would become "Work Computer".

If you could add one button... why not 2 or 3? I don't know if this would be a difficult feature to program, but it would be AWESOME for my purposes.

I've already tweaked out my interface and a lot of the bug complaints other people are having I'm working around by modifying the WSI.htm in the theme folder. This update is my only real need.

Already in the works!

And blinkdt you might want to wait a few weeks for the manual, Most of the info anout the current on will become outdated. A new section is being added into wpi for changing the look of most things "Apperance Wizard" curently under development.

Just don't want you to do it in vain since it will be changeing alot.

If you could add one button... why not 2 or 3?  I don't know if this would be a difficult feature to program, but it would be AWESOME for my purposes.

I've already tweaked out my interface and a lot of the bug complaints other people are having I'm working around by modifying the WSI.htm in the theme folder.  This update is my only real need.

BTW: WPI is super sweet, and very easily customizable.  Thanks!

:D

~Z

---I'd also appreciate just being pointed in the right direction on how to do this for myself.  I'm not completely incompetant when it comes to Java.

Already done it will be in the next release...

Already done it will be in the next release...

Awesome! WPI has truly hit a new plateau.

@almulder Thanks, appreciate that, I am working now on sections of the manual that are relatively "timeless," we can get our heads together at a later date to finish up when youse guys have completed your work. :thumbup

How long before the new release comes out? Will it integrate seamlessly with 4.2? I've only been working with this app for about a week, but I've already got almost a completely designed theme finished. Should I stop and wait for the next release?

I'm glad that I decided to use this piece of software. You guys are actively improving on the product and making it more user friendly. I spent a month going through all the stuff that is out there for multiple software install management, and this seemed like the most upwardly mobile and dynamic one to me. Especially for someone like myself where after I finish designing my "theme" and specifying all my apps, I'm turning it over to people who don't know anything about html, java, or programming. As far as I'm concerned you guys have cornered the market on simplistic installation systems---and that's not an insult, it is a compliment.

Rock rock on! :thumbup

The new release should be out in less than 2 weeks as for your theme I would wait because sadly the old theme file just won't work properly. Keep working on the graphics though because it won't be hard to make a theme with the new version as long as all your graphics are done.

Oh and thank you for the compliments...

I'm impressed from your interest to make WPI to cover everyone's needs. I just hope, to also include -in some way- my need

I also want to include the Greek Language -if possible- and for exchange I can make the translation for you

thank you people

Edited by g-alex

Ok, One other thing,

I've installed Windows Professional x64 and WPI is not currently working.

This because of the two program files folders, maybe WPI need to check in which program files folder the program installed. "Program files" or "Program files (x86)".

Attention. Not all of the 32bit programs will be installed on the "Program files (x86)" as M. says. It depends of the installer of each app.

You may include a check for this occasion in the next ver. of WPI

thank you

New Idea!

Can WPI have a submenu or next page function, so the WPI will work much better in lower resolutions while not having all apps in the same screen.

For example, the user will click in a "registry tweaks button", and a new menu will appear closing the old one.

thank you

New Idea!

Can WPI have a submenu or next page function, so the WPI will work much better in lower resolutions while not having all apps in the same screen.

For example, the user will click in a "registry tweaks button", and a new menu will appear closing the old one.

thank you

there's allready a previous - next button in WPI. It has been causing problems for me however because it sometimes gets pushed of the screen. You can enable the scrollbars to check if that's the case.

I don't like the scrollbars and when you will include a lot of registry tweaks for example, WPI appears chaos. I prefer as solution submenus, so i will go to each menu and easily find what I wan't to install. This will be very helpfull also for lower resolutions for example 800x600. In this case you can have categories in each submenu, so it will be very easy to find everything