Wants and needs for WPI

Something I'd like to see worked into WPI is the ability to use relational file pathnames for installs so that once you've created your custom install set and theme it doesn't matter where you run the install from (eg: CD, network, local HDD, USB HDD.)

With relational pathnames for third party installation files WPI would be infinitely portable. I understand that WPI is supposed to be supplemental install system for after the Windows Installation completes, but it would be nice if it weren’t limited by specific file locations.

I've already read the thread on network installs and specifying file locations that simply point at drives then use specified folder locations. But what if WPI simply looked for installations in relation to where the WPI.hta or WPI.cmd runs from?

If wpi.cmd is located in at %cdrom%\wpi and your installation files are located in the folder %cdrom%\installers\ --- why not use the relational pathname "..\installers\program.exe" in the command field?

Using relational pathnames would mean you could take a WPI install to any media or system and make it work without having to build multiple packages of the same data for different installation scenarios.

Some machines have DVD drives, some don't; some machines have network access, some don't; some don't have a local media drive of anykind and require the use of an external USB drive to perform program installs. With the present system, each of these scenarios requires a separate build of WPI to point at the right installation file locations.

Unless I'm mistaken--but I've tried many different permutations of a relational filename path and none have worked. If this is an unreasonable request as an additional feature---sorry.

Adding this feature would be an amazing addition to this application. It would save developers (like myself) a lot of development time putting together multiple WPI profiles.

Can this be done?

In regards to the descrip. box

Can a graphic background such as below be used at the initial box

imagea.jpg

Then using the config wizard desc. line add the necessary png and decription? If possible force the image to sit where it is in the top left corner and wrap the text around it to look like below.

imageb.jpg

Would look sweet with the current theme colors.

post-44350-1124419246_thumb.jpg

Just thinking off the top of my head. Since there is not much in it.

But can it be done where the decript box be separated into 2 rows adding an image (bar as such in my image) confining the width to the length of the image.

Yet have the same idea for the second part. where you can change the colors of the background/text like before.

Then using your description in the config.js wrap around that image.

There is no need to add the MS Messenger like it is in the above image that can be done the usual way.

Hopefully i'm getting the idea across

Because then you can do alot more with the themes

Here is another possibility.

Create a background as desired in image one. Using the decript box as before but position the applications PNG where you want it and wrap the text around it. And still manage to keep the width.

Edited by lionhrt

Just teasing here are a few shots:

Have pic on the Left:

th_a0d_Left.jpg

Have pic on the Right:

th_757_Right.jpg

Have pic on the Botttom:

th_aaa_header.jpg

Have pic on the Top:

th_8dd_footer.jpg

Have no pic on buttons:

th_670_Exit.jpg

Bar is one pic. Text area is another (Current none shown but you have the options)

Above pics have "bar pic" and black text box. Program pic is a jpg file for each. This way on blank box like aboue will be ther when over a mouse.

All of these are already programed into the apperance wizard. (Ya that is why I was able to do this so fast.)

Thoughts?

Sorry, I thought it was something i could do now. Didnt realize I had to wait untill the next version comes out. There goes my idea to get this done.

Thanks for the look ahead.

Guess I'll just have to mage images for all 275+ proggies and games and do it that way.

Thanks almulder , didnt mean to push you or think that you had to rush. I realize your working hard and all the time on this.

Just thought I had i sweet idea, for a new modification. And seeing you had it done up already, to been blown away by the idea of having to wait.

heh

Been working on the theme contest idea here, as well as making a group (membershipbase) of the apps we use. And thought the idea would be nice for both parties.

Thanks for all your help and crosses fingers so that i can do this mod in near future.

Lionheart