Ultimate Freeware Machine

dman

Sometimes, shareware applications give you that pinch of extra functionality that you need to be satisfied. I've not found a better registry cleaner than JV16 PowerTools' Registry Cleaner combined with RegSupreme Pro. And the GUIs are very straight forward and non-fancy.
I'm satisfied with the software I have and if something I like isn't free, well, I work around that.  :angel
Jeremy I think you may have missed my point, the link I gave is for the exact same application as you stated. My post was simply to highlight that you can use the last version of the program created prior to them starting to charge for it!

I also used Foxit for my PDF reader, but I found a lot of pdf files that it had trouble opening up. I had to resort back to Adobe to be able to view. Version 7 does open A LOT faster than 6.

]Bonkers[

This thread seems to have drifted towards the discussion of Acrobat Reader!

Yeah, there have been some nice suggestions made. I have picked up a few things from the replys, thanks everyone. But I was really hoping that people would list all of the programs they would load to make a totally freeware machine. (like the thread title says). But hey, I will take every little nugget of info anyone wants to share.

I think you may have missed my point, the link I gave is for the exact same application as you stated. My post was simply to highlight that you can use the last version of the program created prior to them starting to charge for it!

I didn't misunderstand you at all. I know what you're getting at. Newer versions of software possess bugfixes, added features and improved stability. Regardless if a program is free or not, if I like it, I use it to its full extent.

Sorry if I'm changing the subject, but the first post mentioned Free Download Manager. It is good overall but I do have problems:

1. Sometimes it doesn't shutdown properly. It crashes or you have to end it with End Task.

2. When downloading a lot of files (e.g. 1000 at a time), a crash can occur. I'm not sure if this is due to Firefox, the FlashGot plug-in, or FDM?

3. Rarely, it will complete a download but it will have failed to get the file. You can see error messages in the download's log.

4. I have suspicions that it is harboring spyware. I'd rather use OSS.

Is there any better alternative?