The Worst Thing About Win98

georgethetee

IMHO W98, updated with the unofficial SP and with the Revolution pack etc added is a superb operating system - I love it.

The only thing wrong with W98 is the title - Win98. Microsoft pulled a smart one there, built in obsolescence. And, no matter what anybody does to it, that title is standing there, defying any attempt at modernisation - for mother's sake, this OS is from the last century!

I like to tell people the 98 stands for 2098, but strangely they dont often fall for that.

What would be great would be if all the modders and modernisers of w98 could reach a concensus on some generic name for upgraded w98 - just to kick the idea off, here's a few suggestions for starters, but I am sure others can come up with some much better ones, although of course, we only need one.

WinClassic. WinPremium OSWinMax. WindowsSheen. WinLean. WinAZ.

Come on, I'm sure someone has a better idea...

i always refer to it as "9X" which is kinda correct as that's often what the 95-ME kernel is refered to as, also it reflects that DX9 is last version we can run and bumps nicely into XP, i have start menu banners with "Windows 9X Professional" on them :blushing:

No, w9x refers either to w98, w98se or w95.

My suggestions:

-Windows Gape 2.0

-Windows 98 2.0 or Windows 98 X (when refering to any uSP)

-Windows XX (because it has two X in the name, it means that it's better than XP that has only one X in its name)

but the most appropriate is of course Windows 2098

20 standing for the uSP version and 98 for win98. When uSP 2.1 will be released it will be Windows 2198, etc...

Some great suggestions there! Must admit, whenever I see Win9x a little voice in the back of my brain trys to re-interpret the x. But, yeah, WIN9X, if you get used to it, is as good as any. Guess my fave so far has to be WinUE though. That is a cool name, I think.