Upgrade To Xp Or Stay Me?

jeeva

Stay on ME with PIII or move to XP?  

224 members have voted

1. 1. Stay on ME with PIII or move to XP?

• Stay on Me
    • Move to XP
    • Try 2000

Hello

I have a Pentium III 533 MHz with 192 MB RAM and 30 GB HD and wanted to ask if I should upgrade to XP or leave Me on it, I have several Programs that only work on XP on the other side WinTV works better on Me, because of a stability problem of 9x/ME the direct access of Hardware. The other advantage of staying on Me is the very fast startup <10 Seconds and Shutdown <3 Seconds.

Do you know any other good ideas to stay on ME or to move to XP.

It isn't my primary computer, just my TV and old games PC. Other tasks are made with my Centrino Notebook.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

Jeeva

I'm pretty sure you'll want to skip W2K altogether, your PIII is more than up to the task of running XP (I'm running XP on several PII-400's) and XP tends to be more end-user friendly. It's usually got better support with both drivers, apps, and games. XP can be customized extensively or let alone, while I've always found the need to tweak the heck out of W2K in order to the same kind of gaming performance.

Thank you! :)

So I'll make backups and wipe the HD and install XP, I don't like old garbage that you have if you update and the old software.

I was in doubt because everyone told me, that XP on PCs lower than 600 MHz is annoying and it isn't fun working on so old Hardware.

You helped me so much. :thumbup

Jeeva

When I bought my pc it came with WinMe on a Dell p3 4100 and because it was bought was within the half year period of xp coming out Dell gave a 20 buck deal to upgrade to xp. Xp is the better choice especially at this point since so much of the problems have been ironed out. If you want to improve the startup time check out www - blackviper - com. He shows al sorts of configurations for shutting off services with the rationals for doing so like for gaming etc. Only one thing that I did that he doesn't recommmend is that, firstly I have a single pc that just connects to the internet, I shut of the workstation service which seems to be what really slowed down the startup. Only one piece of soft that I tried really needed the service was a veritas backup with network capabilities. Also if you decide to get xp do a clean install and not an upgrade installation. Installing xp over me will cause xp to run horribly especially if you change the file system to ntfs. You'll have to change the cluster sizes using one of the partition / formating tools (patitionmagic etc.) to improve the preformance.

I personlly would go with win2k unless you like all the gaphics and have a decent grahpics card and no onboard s***.

I have both xp pro. sp2 and win2k sp4 on old P3 600mhhz 256mbPC133 and win2k is at least 15% faster all around. And thats after doing about 2000 tweaks on both. Defragging hard drive, etc. Plus I dont care about the grahpics and its not a gamming rig so.

So really if its not for gamming and dont care about grahpics I would go with win2k. But thats just me.

cya,

Will

PS: Winxp pro. sp2 still runs fine though.

i got xp running on a laptop that was running 98 se,it's a 333 with 160 ram,runs great with alot of stuff turned off,w2k didn't want to install on it,it's a compaq 1235(a 6 yr old model)xp would be better than me or w2k.but use xplite instead of nlite cuzz it can cause problems and if you need to reinstall something,with xplite you can,with nlite you can't.