What would make Microsoft better?

ChrisPS

ChrisPS, there is one other reason why the product activation worked for Microsoft. Mandatory! Otherwise, the product just stopped working. I can't help but think that if someone just bought WinXP for $100 plus that they would balk at the product activation and toss the product. Bottom line is $100 plus. Keyword is Mandatory.

The majority of computer users I know are fairly intelligent people. Why would they have any interest in a computer if they were not at least fairly intelligent. When I installed Win 3.1 for the first time I read the license agreement. Same week I discussed it with people who had been using Win.311. They all knew the license agreement and pretty much junked the idea all together. Never the less they understood it even if they did not practice it. Come to think about it my first Windows OS was a copy. Same month I bought a retail edition and have been paying retail since then. Thats just me.

Yes, XP sales are high. Does XP really out-sale W2K?

You are well studied. What do you do for a living if you don't mind me asking? Is you interest in Windows a profession or a personal hobby?

Welcome to MSFN by the way. :)

Hi MSNwar,

I am not sure what you mean by:

I can't help but think that if someone just bought WinXP for $100 plus that they would balk at the product activation and toss the product. Bottom line is $100 plus. Keyword is Mandatory.

Could you please clarify this?

Windows XP has been the biggest selling OS of all time just check out the stories below:

Microsoft Windows XP Sales Exceed 17 Million Copies Just Over Two Months After Worldwide Debut

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/Press/2...mentumCESPR.asp

Microsoft: Early Windows XP sales top 95, ME

http://www.itworld.com/Comp/4063/IDG011108XPsales/

I have no statistical information at hand that I could locate before putting up this post but they where just some random sites I have located that may give some kind of an indication of the popularity of the product.

Thank-you for your comments, I generally get time to myself at work and like to read about Microsoft technologies it is I guess a hobby of mine but also is something I do because it relates to my line of work.

And thank-you again.

**** Gamehead,

you got some GREAT ideas there!

Okay, now for some of my ideas.

Have M$, LINUX, and MAC have a tremendous orgy of code writing and devise an entirely new OS...call it MC NuxMac.

This new OS would be issue free from security concerns, part of the code would be open source, and it would just work :)

Screw the Licence Agreement.....

Allow Piracy.....

Uninstall certain progs.....

Customer support for everyone.....

Make Bill Gates give away all his money w00t  :rolleyes: .....

Am I forgetting anything? w00t

allow piracy? you know what would happen if that was to occur? Simply in a few words... companies go broke.. what would the point of making a product and not makin money from it.. i agree with the uninstall part .. others seem to be a waste of post :) ..

my suggestions..

* More consumer input

* Free Gift(s) (How to use their products)

* Total user customization

fatdog, you can remove and reinstall IE in XP. its very easy. Have you got Service pack one installed?

ill post a guide on this, i didnt want to post any more guides on this site as we are changing software soon but if you need it i can put it on.