What would make Microsoft better?

ChrisPS

well chrisas far as the activation is concerned, yes its a hugh pain in the "you know what" and i understand there steps in preventing the spread of the OS but the funny thing is it didnt stop anything. As i said those of us who did the right things and bought our copies of XP (BTW since you seem to have a inside scope I shall run off the topic and rant for a sec....my disk is for some reason unusable and I called the replacment line to order a replacment, for god sakes MS should lower if not only charge for the shipping. I mean I shelled out 300 bucks for my professinal version and they want another 30 bucks for a replacement and I have to wait 10 days...come on. Anyways back to what I was saying...) those of us who bought our copies get the raw end of the stick. I do however have to point out the flaws in a few things. You say you can only install one copy. Thats not true. Ive installed XP pro on all 3 of my machines at home. (tell MS to stop by Ill show them) I feel if its for personal use then you have the right. When you buy a product its yours , were not talking about renting from blockbusters. Altho theres rumors of this being intergrated in the next OS "renting".

Now about IE...hmmmm, I guess the question should be what works right in IE. This board has been running for over a year and most admin if not all tested the beta from the begaining and everyone who has been apart of MSFN has in one way or another had problems with IE. Altho It my favorite browser it still has alot of bugs. We assist members weekly by figuring out what they are and trying to take steps around them. If you spend time and research post from over a year ago till now youll see the IE prblems have lowered but are still aparent.

I would just hope in the end MS would overcome this "Im god" feeling that they carry and understand over 80% of user choose windows and by custimizing the OS to the user preference you will gain more customers in the end. If they cont. down the road there on they will only lose them.

Reading the EULA as far as i make out, Windows, and office too, can be installed on two machines, eg a laptop and a desktop. However both machines cannot be turned on at the same time or you are in breach of the EULA and should pay MS for the other copy of windows/Office.

:)

Reading the EULA as far as i make out, Windows, and office too, can be installed on two machines, eg a laptop and a desktop. However both machines cannot be turned on at the same time or you are in breach of the EULA and should pay MS for the other copy of windows/Office.

:rolleyes:

so that rises another concern....this stament is in some way or another communicating MS is recieveing info, thus making it a privacy problem. :)

they just dont want you on one machine and say your girlfriend on another machine.. you would be getting two OS for the price of one then.

So FthrJACK let me understand you. You dont feel if you buy the product you should have every right to install it on 2 PC in your own home?

So FthrJACK let me understand you. You dont feel if you buy the product you should have every right to install it on 2 PC in your own home?

Its all in the license ... One PC, One OS!

If it worked like you wanted it too, then you could install on all computers in the world and it would still be *legal* ... Cause where does *home* stop? at your front door? At your girlfriends front door?? At you frind's brother's girlfreind's mother's door?

I think the license is fair ... but the price is insane!

Its all in the license ... One PC, One OS!

If it worked like you wanted it too, then you could install on all computers in the world and it would still be *legal* ... Cause where does *home* stop? at your front door? At your girlfriends front door?? At you frind's brother's girlfreind's mother's door?

I think the license is fair ... but the price is insane!

home is where you reside. I live only one place, not sure about the rest of you...lol

From what I have seen here at MSFN there are at least two types of Windows XP users. One is the advanced PC builder that prefers to build their own PC and install the Retail Edition. The second type is the OEM user that prefers to buy an OEM PC with Windows XP OEM pre-installed.

Product activation is mandatory for both the Retail Edition and the pre-installed OEM Edition. The original product activation is quite simple as long as the user has a internet connection or telephone to complete the process. The advanced user often upgrades the PC to the point that a new product activation is mandatory. The OEM user seldom changes the hardware configuration to the point that mandates a new product activation. Again, the product activation process is still quite simple if not a pain in the arse for both users.

Once product activation is complete therein begins the learning process, experimenting cycle, migration to tweaking the system for optimal performance, and the eye candy evolution. This is where MSFN advanced users are of the most help to the majority of advanced users as well as OEM users.

We have traveled the roads of hardware upgrades, maybe built a few machines, and experimented with various software. Eventually there comes a time when all users feel their Windows XP PC is setup just the way they like it and feel comfortable with the performance. Later, some seem to want to concentrate on a different look. FthrJack's comment about customized features, themes, and the digital signature indicates an advanced user that has "morphed" (he he) to a higher level of XPerience. A user than has been there, done that, and has the t-shirt.

So we are left with Whats Next? We pass it on. Thats Whats Next! Thats MSFN.

I applaud MSFN.

MSFN, The Best Thing That Ever Happened to Windows.

:mellow: wipes a tear

Hi XP ( dont know how to do all that writing style :) )

I actually has the other profile before and then ten minutes later I changed it and my other browser was still logged in under the previous profile thats all :rolleyes:

I guess I could only disagree and say that the activation sequence did work look at the sales figures for this operating system over the previous it shows not only do they want it for what it can do but the activation process has shown customers licensing that they didnt previously know or understand.

$30 for replacement Media in the United States is a little steep, I know that it is $40 there abouts over here in Australia.

I agree with you on the point about using on as many machines in the household, however they dont allow that in their current EULA's, maybe you should look at joining the Microsoft for Partners program and getting yourself some Action Packs *wink* that might give you what your looking for and be sure to let me know if i am wrong. :D

The idea of "Renting" is something Microsoft is looking into, you just need to look at the Subscription pilot program that ended just recently on a global scale, testing and seeing if their activation software could handle it on such a global scale and from the information i have heard that was a complete success with subscription services possibly intergrated into Media product in the near future. Bill dream of .NET is to have everyone paying a subscription fee, just look at MSN8 for starters. You just need to look at the .NET framework " Masterplan " to be able to see this and having systems with TCPA and Palladium Architecture within it is like having someone from within Microsoft's licensing "policing" it.

It is admitted by even recent CEO emails from Balmer and Gates that security of its products are an absolute priority if they are going to be able to sell the .NET dream and before they can totally do they they need to sell the TCPA and Palladium to its Marketting audience "you and me" which is something that will provide the security needed to move ahead.

My personal opinion is it is a good idea and from the information i have read the coding of it will be restricted to only a small group within Microsoft, it will not be an "always on" technology but just something you turn on just like when you do secure online banking. I know there have been some concearns about it however Microsoft always suprise us and change the tables from what we all expected. (thanx to their marketing teams.)

XP on the point of customizing the interface I explained about that previously when I was talking about Chris Guzak and his team this can be found at: microsoft.com/technet/treeview/...pro/wxp0702.asp

As for the Microsoft " I am God" feeling from what I have noticed they have changed their mark and started actually listening more to the people just look at Media Centre and the change of stance when it comes to DVD burning and the ability to share shown on Paul Thurott's winsupersite: http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windo...center_copy.asp

Hi Jack as for when you discussed the EULA on Windows and Office I have challenged this on all levels when it comes to having it on and off and from the documentation I have received from various licensing departments thru Microsoft, can you please forward me or post the documentation or web site that says your entitled to have them on a machine aslong as it isnt turned on and your fullfilling Microsoft's EULA .

Crispy I think your point on the pricing, but that raises the question on what pricing would be conscidered fair for a FPP and then how much should MS charge for each OEM licensed product?

I kinda wouldnt mind the .NET model with subscription "Internet + OS + Office" and I guess good content additions all in one you guys in the states with MSN 8 have it made :D

All I can say is that there is a lot of home networking going on and M$ has been invisioning all along that say a family or even roommates would network their pc's.I believe gamers started this on the home level.Think of the brainstorming "Now with this trend sweeping the nation and world coupled with high speed internet we will sell more operating systems than we ever did and we will make money on some wireless hardware,software games,server software,etc. while we are at it.People will pay an arm and a leg and "borrow" our operating system for their individual systems" It's all about money and playing with money for Bill and rightfully so after all he earned it.I hope that M$ understands that home pc users are always looking for better solutions too.I'm not so sure their marketing people are that in tune to the people ChrisPs.They are more like real estate agents that will act only for themselves,after all the bottom line is more money when they compete for the best ideas.I hope I made sense I'm tired.

You made total sense.

Licensing + Marketing = Microsoft

Microsoft do see that the home user fits in to that equation just look at the Media Centre, as Bill said:

"This newest member of the Windows XP family enables consumers to enjoy the best of what digital entertainment has to offer and takes us into an exciting new era of personal computing,"

Story here: http://www.itnews.com.au/storycontent.cfm?...17&Art_ID=11145