What would make Microsoft better?

ChrisPS

-Being able to uninstall any aplication that is rooted to the Os install..for instance IE.

-The ability to add and remove running services depending on the particular use or funtion of the Rig.

-the open ability to modify files within the system such as the the kernal and shell

just to name a few....

=Drew

They are fair points but what about the side of security issues in having so much ability over the OS?

I guess they make something for the standard user not just you and me.... Maybe a different version like Windows XP 3133t? :)

License Agreement.

Home Edition. The original purchaser should be able to install the Home Edition on more than one computer as long as it is kept within the original purchasers own home and without additional costs.

Security Issues.

Ha. No matter how hard anyone tries to secure their computer there will always be a method to circumvent any security measure(s). MS has already intergrated a firewall (first attempt in XP isn't all bad for a first attempt) and anything more would just invite serious intruders.

So windows XP Home edition should be able to be on as many computers as the "personal customer wants" provided they are for that one persons use?

Sounds reasonable but how would that be monitored, to ensure people arnt rorting the system and making it bad for honest users like you and me?

Crispy, hell if I know, LOL.

But then it would not matter would it. And who really cares to police it? Now, lets say Joe Blow buys a home edition and installs it on his home PC and his families PCs. How Many PCs is that? How many PCs can Joe afford anyway. Does Joe really want to spend a lot of time fixing things on his kids PC or be left relatively alone with his PC? M$ has to get "real". Bill will always have a place at my families table and after dinner when the kids pounce on their machines he can see what a mess he has made. LOL. By the way, I hope he likes SOS (s*** on a Shingle) for dinner because all those Windows Operating Systems have to take a $$$ bite out of something. That is "real". :)

What if Joe should decide to let John Doe, his next door neighbor, install Joe's Windows OS on John's PC? No - not an option! How would that be monitored? Don't know!

or maybe more confused as to what profile to use :)

I do agree tho the home user should be able to have it on theirs and their wife's along with their kids computer and maybe a laptop for his Wife and him thats pretty fair and gives them the max of 5 when it comes to networking a "home os"

nobodys flaming you chris, i was just curious. :rolleyes:

i think windows can be installed on two machines as it is, but you cant use them both at the same time.

i think everyone would like to see more customisable features in windows, like the themes, why the heck did MS make it so they needed to be digitally signed and then didnt release any, i expected them to have a load fo themes for download when XP came out but no.. we had to go hack windows to do it. :)

MS should understand that if a user buys a product they should be able to install it on any compauter they own. They need to understand that alot (especially on this board) have more than 2 computers. Also allow the user to run OS without the annoying items poping up all the time (error, activation,tour). We shouldnt have to wait several min on the phone to activate a copy of XP that we reinstalled on the same machine after a format. They need to clean there act up and when they sate something such as "you only have to activate your OS on one machine one time, unless you make 7 hardware changes"...which is so much bull.

After several years of producing OS you think they would design a OS, test it for several months if not years and not rush to produce it and make money. every OS ever released from MS has been crap the first year it has come out. They need to take there time.

One more thing, all the headaces they caused by trying to stop illegal copies of XP "warez" from spreading...well they ended up causing more headaces for us users who buy our copy and they did nothing to the warez community. MS has to understand if theres a software out there, IT WILL BE CRACKED. so give up and go back to the drawing table.

Oh and for god sakes I wish they'd fix IE. :)

By the way, why do you now have 2 names....Revolutionary and ChrisPS?

Windows can only currenly be installed on one machine at any given time. (bit of a pain when office is allowed for my Desktop and Portable device)

I do like the idea of themes Chris Guzak has said that they are planning to add more flexability in the Windows Operating System Products WOSP.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/...pro/wxp0702.asp

I agree with the activation process I guess we have to wait and see what happens with Palladium and TCPA to see where that develops I am sure they have listened to "The People"

(marketting) and will have somekind of better activation sequence put into play to make it alot easier for people to get their products activated...

Dare I say it may look into having it as a .NET passport with somekind of Terminal Services session but thats too far fetched at the moment, one thing i have noticed is things that seem to appear in this MSN Explorer always seem to roll out and be spread into their OS, I mean just check out that log in screen and the new "sideshow bar" that is in MSN8 with a few interface enhancements. Its almost like MSN Explorer is their test ground. It has gone pay for content on a subscription basis "Bill .NET dream"

Microsoft software activation appears to be more of a speed hump to software sharing than a stop sign and was quite simply put there to prevent people sharing the software from what I can see.

When it comes to talking about cracks I am not sure what your talking about but VLK's generally seem to be the only real bypass of the Activation sequence and in most cases unless you where lucky enough to get your hands on the correct media they generally do not work on a OEM or FPP. Although the registry has always been a security issue and I know they are really looking to get rid of that in some kind of a way in my readings.

What kind of problem do you have with IE?