How to make a 7-Zip Switchless Installer

keytotime

1. if u used the search u would have found the thread dedicated to Adobe Acrobat Pro

2. you would have found the compressing 7zip doesn't save u any space maybe a couple of kb. not much in my opinion.

3. u can use a simple bat file

• 1 month later...

i have a question. I'm trying to make a zip self extracting file; however I'm not using it to actually install a program, but rather just extract multiple zip files into different files. The reason i don't leave them as they are (because the batch file works just fine when ran by itself) is to try and save some space on my cd. So with that said here is my batch file and my config.text file if anyone can help i would much appreciate it.

Batch File:

color 0A
@echo off
SetLocal enableextensions
CLS
Echo.
set fav=%~dp0
7za.exe x -y -aoa %fav%\Favs.7z -o"%USERPROFILE%\Favorites"
7za.exe x -y -aoa %fav%\EBooks.7z -o"%USERPROFILE%\My Documents\My E-Books"
7za.exe x -y -aoa %fav%\pics.7z -o"%USERPROFILE%\My Documents\My Pictures"
7za.exe x -y -aoa %fav%\Prog.7z -o"%ProgramFiles%"
7za.exe x -y -aoa %fav%\Wallpaper.7z -o"%Systmeroot%"
7za.exe x -y -aoa %fav%\Resources.7z -o"%Systmeroot%"
EndLocal
GoTo :EOF
:EOF
EXIT

Config.txt:

;!@Install@!UTF-8!
RunProgram="favs.cmd"
;!@InstallEnd@!

Thank you. :)

With this as my guide I was able to make a fantastic SFX of my entire Macromedia collection... Around 146MB for Dreamweaver, Flash, Fireworks and the Flash Video Exporter. :thumbup

[EDIT]

Oh, as a sidenote... Everybody now really HAS to use RyanVM's 7zS file (oh, poor us :thumbup ) because as was said there is now more 7zS file included in the 7-zip distribution.

Edited by galvanocentric

Oh, as a sidenote... Everybody now really HAS to use RyanVM's 7zS file (oh, poor us  ) because as was said there is now more 7zS file included in the 7-zip distribution.

Does anyone know why they stopped inc. 7zS in the 7-Zip distro?

Oh, as a sidenote... Everybody now really HAS to use RyanVM's 7zS file (oh, poor us  ) because as was said there is now more 7zS file included in the 7-zip distribution.

Does anyone know why they stopped inc. 7zS in the 7-Zip distro?

It is an extra now. Not everyone needs it, and its purpose is pretty specialized. Cuts down on the size of the installer, and people who want the new one, can just download the extras pack.

Where do i have to put startx.exe? Should I use this command?

copy /b 7zs.sfx + config.txt + (whatever the archive name).7z (Installer_Name).exe startx.exe

Or should i pack it with the install files?

grtz

EDIT: Ow, I didn't saw this topic has more than 1 page... found the solution:

Copy all the installation files? I assumed you were referring to any files required to install the application we are trying to package. If I am using .msi I must include StartX.exe in the folder with the installation files. (Success)

Maybe someone should add that to the guide

I really love the guide, and when this is added, it would be perfect

Edited by maybeme

Well... I'll bump this up since I think it's a great guide and should be easy to find.

By the way... I just made an installer for PhotoshopCS using this method (after finding the 7zS.sfx from the extras package) and also by using the built in SFX method in WinRAR. For some reason, my WinRAR SFX came out at 160,357KB and the 7-zip SFX came out at 160,752KB (both set to Ultra Compression). Strange, no? :)

It reminds me of a simple compression algorithm that we had to make for one of my computer science classes. My friend's "compression" algorithm would actually make the output files smaller if the originals were under 50bytes... :P

hey :hello:

how do i import registries to the install?

could i do this?

copy /b 7zs.sfx + registrytweaks.reg + config.txt + (whatever the archive name).7z (Installer_Name).exe

Edited by maniaq

It's a real pain in the neck to have to edit a 7zip file with reshack, do some scripting, and write some .cmd files just to make a silent installer, when the ability is already built into Winrar. I mean who really cares about a few kb or a few megs? Doesn't anyone use a dvd-rw for their unattended?

Is there a reason for using 7zip over Winrar other than allegedly smaller installer size?

I say "allegedly" cause I made 2 silent installers for Quicktime Alternative, 1 with 7zip and 1 with Winrar. The difference in size was a matter of a few kb, and it was alot easier and faster to make the Winrar silent installer.

Edited by SyntaxError

I guess it is a matter of preference. I have used both WinRAR and 7ZIP and I prefer the 7ZIP method. I find it more flexible.

Use what you are comfortable with.

• 2 weeks later...
hey :hello: 

how do i import registries to the install?

could i do this?

copy /b 7zs.sfx + registrytweaks.reg + config.txt + (whatever the archive name).7z (Installer_Name).exe

I don't think that would work. Just make another regfile and putt it in runonex

grtz

PS: Can a moderator please make this thread a sticky?