best reg cleaner

ripken204

my favorite is RegCleaner by Jouni Vuorio

It allows automatic registry cleanup

it has an uninstall section where you can uninstall like that add/remove applet in windows, but say an uninstall gets corrupted, then you can actually remove that item from the list

Also, it has a nice interface to remove items from the startup

This is nice as it groups all the things that start with windows in 1 place instead of 4

You also can sort registry keys by author which is useful for getting rid of stuff that doesn't go away during uninstall :thumbup

My take:

careful what you clean.....I don't let any such apps auto-fix problems, nor even accept all their cleaning suggestions. I backup registry just before using them, in addition to enabling their Undo functions & logs-- double-safety if you will.

I like Regcleaner-- it's actually included in jv16--get them here: http://www.321download.com/ also there is Registry1stAid. Easy Cleaner is good: http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm, and for hacking around in the registry, this app automatically 'backsup/histories' your every edit-- undo is just a click away: http://www.vsft.com/regexp/

Long, long, long ago i gave up on Norton & Mcafee, esp. when mixed w/ windows 2k & xp-- they can't even seem to avoid conflicts between their own programs. Norton in particular i dislike, as they've had myriad unfixed issues, some listed in their suport area-- year after year... they blame MS & MS blames them-- but XP problems nonwithstanding, i side with MS-- they have nothing to do with Norton's conflicts with other Norton products & third-party programs.

YMMV-- as with WinME: some folks've had nothing but problems with it, some have never had to reboot even once since they bought it ;)

CrapCleaner is good, i custom-add wutemp, quarantine, & other folders.

good luck......

I use JV16 PowerTools' Reg Cleaner. I don't backup anything and never have problems after reboot. That's just me, though. JV16 PowerTools is preparing for a new release with several new features. I hope one of these is the registry defragmenter that I e-mailed them and requested. After that I think JV16 will be the ultimate reg program.

Cheers,

Jeremy

I use JV16 PowerTools' Reg Cleaner. I don't backup anything and never have problems after reboot. That's just me, though. JV16 PowerTools is preparing for a new release with several new features. I hope one of these is the registry defragmenter that I e-mailed them and requested. After that I think JV16 will be the ultimate reg program.

Cheers,

Jeremy

I already asked them for a defragmenter even before the first version of jv16PT came out ;)